BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any info on what the status is of stump or gump lakes. thinking about going up next weekend with some buddies but i cant get any recent info on the area.

any info would be appreciated. :thumbup:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just got back last night from Stump. Was there Friday afternoon for the weekend. The Girlfriend an I only mnaged 2 fish between us. Probably around 2 pounds. But as for the weather, Friday was really nice, Saturday a little rainy, a little windy, but never unfishable, and the rain never lasted too long. Started to clear up Saturday night and awoke Sunday morning to absolutely beautiful clear skies and sun! Fished all day, managed nothing but got absolutely BURNT! Shirt off, about 24 degrees, had an amazing day. People were apparently nailing them on chronies in the shallows at the North end by the houses. Less than 80 ft and as close as 20 feet from shore. We tried for a bit, with no luck, but being new to chronie fishing it was just about trying something new. Reports were that all the surrounding lakes still had ice on, even Roche just down the road.

·
Registered
96 Posts
May 7th

I drove by Stump yesterday at about 1:30 pm and counted 11 vehicles in the various parking spots but only saw 3 boats on the water and 2 being taken out

form the number of vehicles not a lot of activity - Mind you I was doing 100 and stayed on the road so maybe I missed something

Nicola had fish rising along the shore - especially at the east end of the lake along the higway shore.

Oakey

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just got back from Marquart and the ice had just come off as of Saturday. Fishing was good in the afternoon in different pockets of the lake. Shrimp and bloodworms mostly. Lake was super busy, 17 boats on was the biggest count. good fish though, biggest we caught was about 22 inchs, beautiful chrome.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I recognize the pics in the Chronic Fly Fisher article. The pics and the arms holding the fish are from 'Woody" as he is known in 'Tunkwa Heights' and on another forum specific to fly fishing.

He is a great guy committed to the art of fly fishing and tying. He runs a fly tying club at the high school he works at, getting youth off on the right foot regarding still water angling. Guys like him are great for our Stillwater passion.

I consider myself lucky to have him as a friend, summertime neighbour and mentor and suggest others check out some of his work...even though it means wandering from home base (BCFR). Don't worry the bait debate there will knock your socks off and have you running back here in no time :thumbup:

If you want to avoid leaving the nest here, dredge through Rowley's articles. You will find an article where he discussed Kens ties.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think there are rules about posting links to other forums. I have already worn my shoes in the house by even bringing it up, posting a link would be me helping myself to Rick's beer while I am at it...

Just head over to the other feather site and look for threads on pink works and jensen eggs or the T.

There is great thoughts in those threads just intermingles all the usual. If you do wander over don't forget my original intent, helping others learn about tying great chironomids. :thumbup:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
well there is a very large BAIT discussion going here on this forum under the Freshwater Forum Section its listed as STEELHEAD C&R MORTALITY its rather lenghty but everyone should read it i think.

·
Registered
260 Posts
By no means was I chastising you 'withsomeluck', in fact I was criticizing myself. You are always in the right when asking for the sake of learning.

If you can't find it consider yourself ahead about 4 hours of time...it is along read the doesn't really ever draw to conclusion.

If you really want to see it PM me and I will dig up a link.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the info on blood worms. I would never of guessed that they were artificial flies. Can you troll them, or do I need to break out my virgin fly rods? I have very little experience chucking flies, when I attempt to cast I often seem to tie a knot in the line. I know takes practice, my kids like fishing too, so I often just get right to trolling.

Jamie

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
If you read everything you can about chironomid fishing, have the right flies and the right depth in the food column in the lake you are fishing....AND the right time of the year, you really don't have to do a lot of casting at all. Technically you could put the line in the water and row a few strokes to get the line out a bit, then just sit and wait for the indicator to disappear......Ortho 8)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.