BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A large number of salmon alvelin were killed the last few days when redds were dried up by dam construction on a side channel of the fraser recently for the purposes of removing gravel....It was aired on cbc this evening, here's the link, the story is at about the 12 minute 35 second mark of the download....watch it quick cause tomorrow's stories will wipe out this one......hope that contractor gets charged!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: How can they get away with such an ignorant and blatent display of negligence??? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Here's the link:

http://www.cbc.ca/bc/ram/canadanow_600.ram

Initial estimates believe MILLIONS of fish were killed by the severe drop in water levels....

Highlight points: (In case the link is gone)

-The damn,(berm), was built to reach an island where the gravel removal took place
-the contractor was required to put a bridge in when constructing the berm in order to ensure continuance of flow to the side channel
-he claimed the bridge was omitted due to safety concerns and the water flow was cut off...
-a large section a salmon spawning beds were left high and dry (500 meters X 20 meters)
-a large number a salmon redds, (nests, if you will), were exposed, dried up and most if not all of the alvelin died as a result
-construction began last week, and was completed just recently...
-laws passed by previous governments to protect salmon habitat from just such a thing state that such berms cannot be built unless in emergency situations...(not sure of the specifics here)
-the berm crosses a slough on the river where many of us fish for cutthroat
-while the rest of the river runs clear this side channel has practically zero visibility due to siltation from the building of the berm, further jepordizing redds which were not revealed by the drop in water levels...
-water levels dropped more than 1 1/2 meters!!!!

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here was a letter sent recently by Bill Otway of the Sport fishing defence alliance regarding this project to the minister of fisheries and oceans....

Hon. Loyola Hearn - Minsiter of Fisheries and Oceans

Dear Mr. Minister:

Please find following a copy of an e-mail from one of our members regarding the blocking of the Fraser River with a berm or dyke being constructed to provide access to excavate gravel from an island just below the Agassiz Rosedale Bridge. Also please find attached copies of the photos taken by our member of this activity being carried out this past week.

Minister, there are as noted by our member, salmon fry and particularly eggs in the river at this time, the regulations as we understand them provide for no in-river work at this time of year unless an emergency exists. We would submit that this current activity has no connection with any emergency situation.

This activity is not being done surruticiously but in broad daylight in full view of the public and your Pacific Region staff, and we would also submit the staff of the Provincial Ministry of Environment. Both have a responibility to protect fish habitat. At least they did before your predecessor put in place the current Wild Salmon Policy which included the abandonment of habitat protection.

We trust you and our new government will have a better sense of the importance of our fish and fishery and immediately put a halt to this ongoing destruction of fish habitat and require those involved to face the full impact of the courts and remove the current causeway and repair any damage done. AND - That you will repudiate the current Liberal non-habitat protection policy, which is what is allowing the current destruction, and pledge to fully protect our diminishing fish habitat by restoring the Habitat staffing to proper levels, cancell the proposal to eliminate 47 Habitat staff in B.C. and 34 Fishery Officers.

We cannot overemphasize the fact that action must be taken now Mr. Minister. Time is very much of the essence in this matter.

Bill Otway, President
Sport Fishing Defence Alliance

Thought you guys might like to know about it, this info was found on the FWR forum and I thought I'd post it here too....

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In case anyone feels inclined to send an email to the fisheries and oceans minister here is the email address:

[email protected]

His name is Loyola Hearn....

Appearently this project WAS approved by DFO....WTF !

G

·
0 Posts
It was on the front of today's CHILLIWACK PROGRESS what a bunch a BS! :evil: the contractor should be fined big time

Mike <"))))><

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hate to sound harsh, but, the gravel removal scheme is the brainchild of our favorite river hoodlums who live around the Aggazzi Bridge and have their own set of laws...
If you ask them,its their land and their river so who are we to complain about what they do......
Just look at the boat launch below the bridge,,,we won't be using that this year with all the gravel stockpiled there...
Envionmental jerks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
that is ridiculous, just a cheap scapegoat saying the bridge couldnt be built-look at the result :cry:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yesterday was such a nice day I had to put the boat in at Island 22 and run up to Agassiz Bridge for something to do in the sunshine. Gravel is getting hauled out at a fast rate..Water flow is extremely low around that area....
I would like to hear of fines and charges being laid,but as yet nothing.....
What's up with this sort of crap????
Maybe its time for a sports fishing blockade of the gravel trucks??? I'll bring the hotdogs... :wink:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Where was the fish kill at? I did't know they were still taking out from below the bridge. they are doing a large excavating at jespersons. If it was the one under the bridge, I find it funny that they havent included the contractors name in any of the reports.
FN rights and all you know. I also find it funny that Mr Ken (vocal ) Malloway hasen't said boo it the local gazettes about it, seeing as he is such a for conservation kinda guy. You know conserve enough for the totes. Sorrry It makes my blood boil thinking about it. :evil: :evil: Gottta cut it short before I get er pushed to the Bin
Crazy D 8)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
what kind of salmon fry were killed? not like it matters! why isn't anything done about it? a load of gravel is more important than future fish in there nets then i guess!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well being in the contected to the local gravel community I learned a couple of intresting points about this today. The company that was responsible for the excavation wasn't from the band under the bridge, but in fact one of the lagrest in the area. I'm thinking the band was'nt all innocent though as it is accessed through their reserve. As far as fisheries oking the dam that was also not the case, apparently the contractor in question made the call himself due to time constraints on removal deadlines. The stock pile on the shores, another bright idea. if it isn't remove by the next high water they could nearly an eighth of the pile back to the river. I think this isn't even the tip of the ice burg on this story. With the amount of fry killed rumors have it between 6 to 8 million fry even with mortality rates during the life cycle, this is sure to have adverse effects on the returns to the area in a few years. I am a firm believer that there has to be gravel extractions done to help protect a rivers. The vedder canal is a prime example, for those of you that have only been fishing the Vedder for less than 10 years, the banks from the lower bench down to the water used to be in the 15' range, with large deep runs and channels running through out it. Now its on average 4 to 6 ' to the water and by the end of June you can pretty much cross the canal anywheres below the bridge. Is a small system I think it would only benifit the system to provide deep channels for fish to move through and the help keep the temps down. In the Fraser any one who has boated the section from I sland 22 down to Mission would agree there has been a lot more gravel in there changing the structure and lanes to travel. I know it would be next to impossible to dredge a channel without disturbing one of the various runs coming through the river year round. I find it strange that the main political reason for this extraction is to prevent flooding, yet nothing is done to help control the main flows into deeper controlled channels. Instead they disturb valuable spawing and resting, holding areas for the migratory fish, basically wiping out one whole run. If some one says it's not about the money tell them Bu*&#$%t with gravel prices at a all time high and supply becoming tougher to find., damn straight it's about the money.
As for the contractor He wont get squat so he gets a million dollar fine, thats your liability insurance. I'm all for gravel extractions, but there is a right and responsible way and theres the blatant disreguard for environmental ethics that was show there.
Sorry gang if it's long winded , but its as touchy a subject around the table as bottom bouncing and F/N fishing
Here's to healthy stocks, sunny fall days and screamin reels
Regards,
Crazy Drifter 8)

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
crazy d, I'm not sure where the kill was exactly, I have it here somewhere, but as I am nearly spent, I cannot find it at the moment....somewhere near the aggasiz bridge I think.....totally agree with your view....
Coho K, the avelins where mostly pink and chum....a huge contributor to so many factors in the river ecosystem, particularily thier impact on other fish species....I believe current estimates of the number destroyed by this activity is higher than the initial estimates....I'll look into it again when I get back....
GONE FISHING!!!! see yas,
rib :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts