BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a boat and am wondering what is the minimum horsepower for the Fraser. If there is a certain range of hp which would not work the motor too hard. I've never had one of these before but what is you're experience and comments.

Thanks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey recklessme

To tell you the minimum horsepower that you would require You would have to let us know what size boat you are planning on getting. Tell us what length, width and weight and whether it is aluminum or fiberglass. There are many factors to consider when picking a motor, generally more is better. You definitely don't want to be under powered as you would find your stress level would make enjoying yourself tough.

Centerpin 8)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey recklessme

That set up would be just fine. Before I changed my motor to a jet I had virtually the same set up. I have a 14'6" Princecraft with a 73" beam and ran a 25hp merc for about 2 years and never had a problem with power. I think you would be very happy with that combo.

Centerpin 8)

·
Registered
587 Posts
What ever is on the capacity plate is my recommendation or just slightly less like one level down, but no more. The boats are designed for a max capacity in load and the proper HP to make it go properly

·
Registered
148 Posts
It also depends on how fast you wanna get up stream. A 6 hp will get you across and close but up stream will take forever. A 9.9 will get u there faster with more gear and so on. My buddy's 14' with a 25hp passed me with my 80hp jet.... he was flying and very lite in the water.
Plan your boat with passengers and gear and what you wanna use it for, ie. just fishin with a bud or with another guy and a dog lunch and a cooler. If you wanna get up river then don't be under powered for your purpose!
My :2cents:

·
Registered
323 Posts
A friend has a wc14 i think its a 2000 or so with a 25hp 4 stroke and it has lots of power. Can even tow a tube with a full size adult. That boat with a 25hp is all the power you need for most portions of the fraser

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just another vote for the Good combo comments. That'll have you playing safe with plenty of power to get around. :beerchug:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 15' Smokercraft Alaskan with Merc 20 hp prop. I have no problem on the Faser. I wouldn't go much lower though. I used a 15 Evinrude once and it was OK but took a while to get upstream. The 25 will do you proud.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.