BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tied up a couple to see how easy they were and they are so simple :thumbup:

Purple/Pink for steelhead

I will also be doing loads of other colour combos for steelies. like: Black/Blue, Black/Pink, Black/Purple, Purple/Blue Etc.......the list is almost endless LOL

I did 2 of these up to see how the springs like them in this low clarity ;D

springs love Reds and lighter colours together so we will see. Im trying this fly out tomorrow in fact

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you talking about the ones with the eye at both ends?? if so those are for stingers not for this style as i already asked at my local shop O0 best way is to waste some cheap hooks by cutting them off. I tried both ways of doing these and found leaving the front fly hook intact and cutting later WAY EASIER!!!!!

· Registered
1,386 Posts
I tyed a bunch of them up a while back, great flies! I usually go with a much smaller tail on mine, thats the way Gary from Riverside taught me to tie them up. I'm guessing you saw his article in the latest BC Outdoors.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
pain in the @$$ fly. :thumbup: nice ties, one reason for a tube adaptor, tie 4 different tubes up, stack them ontop of each other get 16 different flies. U get palmered marabou spiders that look way better, and are much bigger and longer than on a shank hook. Will be trying rabbit palmered and see if stacking works.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
1 marabou tube spider, 1.5 mins. x 4 = 6 mins for 16 flies, not bad.

not to take away from ur flies, they are sick ties and i wish i could tie them, but i suck at tying moals, and i have no patience. Wanna trade a few flies?

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could be up for a fly trade :peace:

i still dont get how you tie more then one fly at a time though :hmmm: if you wanna explain Pm me so we dont hijack this thread ;)

the one thing with these is you have to hold the braided line from spinning when your wrapping it or it screws up the whole thing when you tie off (fly loosens)

· Registered
34 Posts
I LOVE MOAL fly's! I just started tying flies October last year but I've had a little bit of time off so I'm getting better. I do find that if you don't have a mount close by the string MOAL is way harder to tie than the articulated MOAL. And if you do the no rabbit hide dubbing method for these flies you get a really light amazing moving fly that'll make you go grey fast trying to tie. -Well it'd make me go grey fast I have a horrid time with the dubbing loops.
Nice looking flies and I'm glad you can make them that fast with head cement drying times included they take me closer to 15 minutes a fly. The string one's a few minutes longer, but like I said I'm still new at this whole thing.

· Registered
584 Posts
small question.....whats a "no rabbit hide dubbing method"? are you just not using rabbit or are you refering to a dubbon loop? Also what do you guys use on the braided line for these, head cement, hard as nails or something else. I have had one pull apart on me with head cement so I switched to hard as nails, however the tied that fell apart may have been doomed from the start...my first or second MOAL tie.

· Registered
34 Posts
Sorry to confuse you, I did say I was new at this. I was meaning to to cut away the rabbit hide after placing it in a dubbon loop. I use crazy glue on the first turn or two then a dab again at the end. After I cover it all with thread I use hard as nails. Also I haven't been using braided line I've been using the orange backing (which is a braid) that you use on the fly reel. It's all I had when I started making these up and so far it seems to work just dandy. But it's only rated at 30lb's and it is a bit thicker than braids such as spiderline or tuff line.

· Registered
34 Posts
Good find Oar Lord I was looking all over for that one must have lost it in my bookmarks somewhere.
Here's a different way that doesn't actually tie onto the string as much
http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/moaleech.html
and don't know if we can do this but here is a thread on another forum that shows some nice ones made up from the same directions that oar lord posted:
http://www.westfly.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=188381&page=2
-just scroll down about half way on that one.

To make a leech on two hook shanks (not a true MOAL but not far off), tie up the leech on one hook with the braid loop on the back for the stinger hook. Then when you go to tie up the front put a piece of braid through the eye of the tail section and then back onto the first hook shank. Make this one really short so that the fur from the first section flows onto the second section. Then tie this one up just like you did the rear. I believe this is called an articulated MOAL.

Have fun

· Registered
1,061 Posts
My favourite one is a 6.5 inch pink moal that i use for high dirty water. For some reason when i attach the pic it doesn't work. It says that it took to long for it upload or check with administrator anyone knows what to do so i can add pics to my replies?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.