BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good thing about the 12' SeaHawk from Wal-Mart is the price at $139, and its 30 gauge PVC. Same gauge as the $600 SeaHunters. It also has the same motor mount hookups.

The mods I added were
- 3/4" Treated Plywood floor (hinged)
- Motor mount
- Mini Kota
- Fish Finder

Floor
The floor you can use 1/2" or 3/4" treated plywood. To get a template just blow up the boat and flip it over and trace the front and back ends of the boat onto some packing paper. You use the inside of the seem where the main wall tubes of the boat meet the floor tubes. Draw out the floor and triple check the measurements. To install the floor inflate (1) floor 100% and (3) outside walls to 70%. Drop in the floor and adjust, then you can blow up (2) inner walls to 100% making sure it sits on top of the plywood. Then finish off (3) to 100%.

For finishing the floor give the edges a sanding and then line the edges with some felt to protect against rubbing. I used wood glue and a staple gun to adhere the felt. Then you can cut the floor in half and use 2 door hinges, makes it easier to pack around and more compact.

Seats
With an extra sheet of plywood you can make a back and middle seat. The back seat I think is a must since it lets you store the battery box and hand pump under the seat. Use the same trick with packing paper to draw a seat template, make sure it comes out far enough to cover the battery box. Also line the edges with felt or some such material. You could mount a captains chair on the rear seat. For the middle seat just make up a simple bench seat, it will sag a bit so you'll need to re-enforce it with a 2x4 from the middle of the seat to the floor.
- With the middle seat in your fishing 2 adults no problem
- With the middle seat out you can fish 2 kids and 2 adults

Motor Mount
You could do something yourself using PVC, but they cost $50. Faster and easier to pick one up.

Motor
Mini kota, the SeaHawks aren't rated for anything higher. Shop around for a deal, I use a RV battery to power mine.

Fish Finder
Any portable fish finder I think will do, shopped around and got a deal on mine. These usually come with a suction cup that works well on hard bottom boats, not so hot on inflatables. I run the cables up a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe. Before that I drilled a hole to pass the bolt through to attach transducer. You can then zap strap this to the motor mount (making an X style strap on each mounting bar with two zap straps). This allows you to slide it up high when on the beach to protect it. Then slide it down when trolling.

Make sure you have your life jackets, water proof flashlight, manual bailer, whistle and 15' heaving line. I just carry mine in a day pack that sits beside me.
Safety Equipment

If you have any questions let me know.
boat_3.jpg
boat_2.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nicely done. I have a Challenger 4 that I'm planning on doing this to. I'll post pics once I actually get off my butt and do it.

Only has 24 gauge vinyl, but it's managed to survive some pretty rough landings thus far and the only hole I've managed to put in it was when I slammed it in the trunk latch :mad:

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Dogsled, it's the only way.......
These boats were designed for some options for transporting, but with all the mods, you need a truck or trailer unless you want to spend hours setting it up before the launch, no?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How do you transport this puppy?
Completely apart and deflated I transport it in the trunk of my mini van (no seats folded down). It takes 8 minutes to blow up, I leave the pvc pipe zap strapped to the motor mount. The floor (hinged to be compact) and seats just stack flat straight up and down in the back. Your in the water in 15-20 minutes. The pump I use is the same one you use to blow up an air mattresses. The floor drops in, the seats are just sitting on the sidewalls. Wing nuts on the motor mount. Throw the battery in, lock down the motor off you go.

If you keep the box it comes in all the gear and extras (incl. anchor) fit fine in the box. Less the boat folded up and plywood. Plus tackle box, rods and day pack all in the trunk. Then I have 2 kids in car seats and grandpa.

Its cheap, it can all be setup with one person and can be transported in a smallish package. I would love to buy a bigger boat again, I just have no where to keep it at my townhouse. And I can't justify the $600 a year storing a boat and trailer costs me.

(We are waiting for the market to drop south of Kelowna so we can move again, then I'll get another double eagle.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought one of these off of craigslist this year. For pretty much the same reason as you. I live in a townhouse and have no place to store a larger boat. I haven't had the chance to actually go out on it yet, but I think tomorrow will be the day. It came with a homemade motor mount and plywood floor, much the same as the one you have. I'll take some pictures if I can and post them as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Type of floor material

The good thing about the 12' SeaHawk from Wal-Mart is the price at $139, and its 30 gauge PVC. Same gauge as the $600 SeaHunters. It also has the same motor mount hookups.

Hi,
I am in the process of making a floor for my Seahawk 4. I see that you are using 3/4" plywood. What are your thoughts on using 5/8" MDF? I have made the template for the floor and now want to buy the material but not sure if I should use plywood or MDF.

·
Registered
155 Posts
MDF does not interact well with water. Highly recommend plywood over the use of MDF in this particular application.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't imagine an 'exuberant' fish (a la barbless hook) in the process of landing would be of concern, no?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Or you could forgo the wood completely and use this. You can buy it here
Thanks,
I did actually buy a sheet of the King Starboard(black) and was able to make the floor and two bench seats out of 1 sheet. The sheet was a little expensive but I won't have to worry about it rotting and its easy to clean. The only concern was that I bought it in 1/4" thick and it does flex a bit. If I were to do it again I would but it in 1/2" thickness. I have added 1 1/2" dia. pvc tubes that I am using underneath that help give it some rigidity. Will post some pictures when done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MDF will turn into a dogs breakfast if it gets anywhere near water lol cool build though looks like a rad little fishing machine :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts