BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I am new to this forum and would like to put this question out to the members to see what all of you guys think.

I have searched the forums and internet, but can't find a somewhat conclusive answer. There are so many monofiliment lines out there on the market. My question is there a type of mono line which is better than the lot? I have in the past used Silverthread which was great for its diameter to strength (can't find it anymore, anywhere). Is Maxima's Ultragreen the front runner nowadays? What do people prefer in mono lines?

I have been using Maxima Ultragreen, but even after putting 150-200yds of backing on 5 Shimano Mooching reels I find the price is getting steeper to fill them all (+ 4 Shimano TR200G levelwinds) costly. I mainly use 20lb test on all and had been looking at Ande Monofilament Tournament or Premium in green color. Is there going to be that much difference in line for the cost. I am assuming both should be good lines, correct. I was looking at US pricing and the 1lb spool of Premium is 3000yds at $51.99 and 1lb spool of Tournament is 2600yds at $79.99.

Green colored is my color choice. Trying to decide between 20lb and 25lb. Like I said before my main fishing with my reels at the moment is Gerrard Rainbows which can run all the way up to 30lbs. I have never broke off one yet with 20lb test (touch wood), but may make a trip or two down salmon fishing. Any suggestions on 20lb or 25lb?

Thanks for any imput.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been told that Ande is made in the same factory as Maxima. My dad has used it and we honestly can't tell the difference. For leaders I still go with Maxima.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have always used 30 pound Berkley big game for my main line.
Maxima ultra green for leaders only.
I have not broken a main line in at least 5 years and I have brought in 2 halis in the 60 pound range while fishing salmon.
having said that I am switching to 60 pound braid on my mooching reels now as I fish a lot of deep water.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Maxima is nice but i got tired of the cost as well...
Ande isn't as soft as the Maxima but for the money i won't ever complain...
They sent me a sample of their Blue mono and its bright stuff, if i fished some icy blue glacier fed lakes i would try it..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maxima is nice but i got tired of the cost as well...
Ande isn't as soft as the Maxima but for the money i won't ever complain...
They sent me a sample of their Blue mono and its bright stuff, if i fished some icy blue glacier fed lakes i would try it..

That green looks really nice. Also judging by that color it may blend right into the color of water on Kootenay Lake. Will have to look for some when I am down for my annual salmon fishing trip starting tmo. Would really like to get my hands on 25lb test, so can use it both here and for salmon. I will stay with the Ultra Green for leaders.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Have used both Ultragreen and Sufix and as many have indicated Ultrgreen is getting expensive. I have pretty much switched to Sufix Seige or Elite as its easy to find in bulk spools at very good prices. I have yet to have any Sufix line fail me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/rigs-and-tips/sport-fishing-line-test-2011

Lots of Maxima coolaid on the westcoast but there are many unbiased tests of line.
While I dont think its a bad line I wouldnt pay more for lesser of a product.
Maxima line is thicker than many of the competitors so it seems stronger……plus it often measures thicker than advertised.
Line diameters and its strength yields have been tested on many occasions and UG Maxima is never at the top and rarely in the top 10 that I have seen.
The link above is only one of a few mono tests but it covers many different lines.
My favourite line to date is Sufix Tritainium (Superior is a close second), bulk spools can usually be had on the big auction site for $30-35 and at any given diameter I will put it up against Maxima any day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Berkley Big game 25 lb , buy cheap on Ebay . I been using for years great on a single action real but maxima is softer to work with for leaders .

·
Registered
572 Posts
I use Berkley Big Game 30 lb, buy it in 5280 yard spools. Stands up real well to abrasion. It's the best i have found so far...

Bret

1 - 13 of 13 Posts