BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after this summers crazy sockey run in the fraser i now have my reel full of 65 pound braided line. I know this is overkill for the vedder but is it nessary to switch back to mono? Is it possible for the fish to get spooked by my braided mainline because its much more visible than the mono. I really like using braided because it has no memory unlike mono.

I just wanted some input on the subject

-cheers
PK

·
Registered
251 Posts
I use braided line for a mainline on all rivers. Take some dry fly silicone floatant and let your line go way down river, preferably not near anyone and then take a cloth pad and soak it in floatant and run your braid through the pad on your retrieve.Make sure you keep your line under tension on the retrieve. You`ll have a nice floating strong line that won`t give you any memory problems and is super sensitive for those soft bites.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Depends on where and how you fish on the Vedder. If you like lining up with the crowds at the meat holes then it will make zero difference.

Otherwise I would reccomend respooling with mono. Another alternative would be to splice in a section of mono at the end of your braided line. I personally run about a 10' section of Maxima UG spliced to my neon pink Maxima that I run as a main line.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies,

So what im gathering is it doesn't really make that much of a difference, I like the idea of splicing the mono on the end. Would it matter if its a floating line? I shortfloat all my presentations and try to dead-drift as much as possible but i'm always worried of having slack in the line, so 90 percent of the time my mainline is not touching the water at all, (besides whats below the float obviously)
sorry if these are stupid questions, but i truly appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just curious, for those of you who've used (or currently use) braid...how does the abrasion resistance and knot strength compare to mono?

·
Registered
251 Posts
FishOn36, I use 30lb Tuf-Line XP and always use the uni-knot for attaching it to my terminal tackle. Ive never had any problems with it getting beaten up in the rocks, because it floats and my knots rarely fail at the swivel as long as I protect them with a bead. For short floating, I'm running my sliding float in between a couple of homemade fly line bobber stops with two small beads above and below the float, from there its down to some hollow lead, bead and then swivel. On the other end of the swivel is where I run some Maxima mono down to whatever I plan on using for a lure and usually keep a 2-3 foot leader, sometimes smaller.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just curious, for those of you who've used (or currently use) braid...how does the abrasion resistance and knot strength compare to mono?
Braid is tough as nails, especially when you compare 65# braid to 15 lb mono.

I'd spool on a bunch of mono on top of my braid if I was worried about spooking fish.

Meh, the bait caster has heavy braid on it, the centerpin has maxima chamaeleon.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not all braids are created equally!

As I do like to experiment I have different brands (and test) on any given reel of mine - some products are much more user-friendly in any terms than the others.
Look at the pricing - proportional to the features of the braid.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What kind of knot would you recommend to splice some mono onto a braid main line? If I can avoid respooling my bait caster it would be a bonus. Normally I would be using my pin on the river...but after an outting this morning it looks like my pin needs some work or replacing (fishing a very vintage super silex) so I'm looking at my baitcaster and casting rod as my outfit for the fall until I can afford to drop a ton on a new reel

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yikes....just peel off your braided line, wrap it 'round a 2 litre bottle and store it. Go buy some 15lb maxima and re-spool your reel. Done. Yeah, yeah, I get it.....braid has no stretch, braid has better sensitivity when you've got lots of line out on a bigger flow (Fraser). But sheesh, we're talking about the Vedder here folks. It's not like braid is going to result in more hook-ups with only 25 ft of line out. Plus, braid is super limp and this results in tonnes of line laying in the water no matter how hard you try to keep a tight line to your float. It's also highly visible...yes for fishermen but I would suspect to fish too. Bottom 'line' (no pun intended). Re-spool with maxima UG mono. Just my 2 bits.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would wrap up my braided but its hard to go back to mono after using braided for the first time. Because im still a rookie the lack of memory in the braided allows me to spend more time drifting than fighting with backlash that seems to happen roughly every 3rd cast with mono. I was just wondering if using braided was setting myself up for failure.

Cheers
PK

·
Registered
507 Posts
I would respool with some fine maxima,if you really horse your fish go with 20lb,but on the other hand 15lb test, in my opinion is more than enoughf,i use 15lb and have no problem landing big springs,to really teel you the truth i don't think my main line has ever broke.
The leader would go sometimes if it had been damaged by rocks or fish,while fighting,but i try to check every five casts on average,quick slide up and down the leader with two fingers would let you tell if its good or ,it's time to tie a new one.

I think ratio landed VS lost fish is way bettter with Mono too,braid has no strech and rippes the hook out of the fishes mouth literally,just my two cents.

Cheers and enjoy this salmon season.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
If you're sold on braid you don't need to splice any mono to your mainline. Just use mono or fluorocarbon leaders tied to your swivel. Cheap and easy to tie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
917 Posts
Totally depends on water conditions and clarity. Personally, I prefer mono. If I were stuck with braid, I would definitely go with a more subtle colour - not the neon yellow that I've seen on some reels. LOL. I like the splicing idea if you're in a pinch (no pun intended). Anyway, we were on the flow recently and my friend who was using a grey coloured braid had no problem hooking fish with roe.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have tried float fishing with braid.....I have tried float fishing with a mono splice onto my braid. As mentioned braid is so limp that it lays in the water during your drift. The result is a big arc of line laying in the water downstream of your float. I don't care if this arc of line floats....it's still not a tight line to your float. This, in my opinion will result in missed strikes and does not produce the much needed drag-free drift. Unless you are standing way up on a bank you cannot get braid out of the water during your drift without affecting your presentation. You mentioned you are a bit of a rookie so to avoid frustration and "setting yourself up for failure" go with mono. The advantages of mono out-weigh the things you like about braid when fishing the Vedder. I suppose one neeeds to experiment to learn for themselves though. I guess the most important point here is.....if you're smiling while you're doing it....you're doing it right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have tried float fishing with braid.....I have tried float fishing with a mono splice onto my braid. As mentioned braid is so limp that it lays in the water during your drift. The result is a big arc of line laying in the water downstream of your float. I don't care if this arc of line floats....it's still not a tight line to your float. This, in my opinion will result in missed strikes and does not produce the much needed drag-free drift. Unless you are standing way up on a bank you cannot get braid out of the water during your drift without affecting your presentation. You mentioned you are a bit of a rookie so to avoid frustration and "setting yourself up for failure" go with mono. The advantages of mono out-weigh the things you like about braid when fishing the Vedder. I suppose one neeeds to experiment to learn for themselves though. I guess the most important point here is.....if you're smiling while you're doing it....you're doing it right.
I would agree with your comment regarding regular braid. However, I have switched to Fireline Crystal and would highly recommend it. It has great sensitivity and long casting distances. I use it on both my spinning reel and levelwind with great results.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Anything over 15lb mono mainline is overkill for any local river or stream, except the fraser. Why does anybody need 65lb mainline, what are you catching, sharks?? Plus you look like a Beek with bright yellow line stripping off your baitcaster.. Just my 2 cents.......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts