BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new Shimano Mooching Reel and was a little disappointed. Apparently all the new reels come with some drag, even when you loosen it off all the way? And when you crank it tight they still allow line to spool off? I like to have full control of the tension. I took the reel back because I thought that something was wrong with it after I got back from a weekend of fishing with it. Part way through the trip I switched back to the old Diawa. So the guy at the new Outdoor store in Langley informed me that all the new Mooching reels are this way? He said they do this to prevent back-lash.

So the question is……..

Are all Mooching reels the same in regards to the drag set-up?

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Take it back to where you purchased it. Shimano is very aware of the problem, especially with the 4000 GTs. They have a solution. This is a very common problem. I just took mine in to have the drag fixed. It crept all the time and now it is so tight I can't even loosen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I picked up a 4000 GT a few months ago and noticed the same thing. I assumed it was a design feature to stop the reel from locking or something and learned to live with slightly less bend in the rod than I would like. I've landed a few good size fish with it and haven't had any problems playing them, but it's good to know it can be fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts