BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else caught mountain white fish at Buntzen lake? I caught 4 in one spot of the lake, and I was stopped by a DFO officer doing license checks. When I told him I caught white fish he laughed and said I was mistaken. (It wasn't a Northern Pike Minnow,it had a small mouth)

· Registered
475 Posts
The Peamouth Chub and Northern Pike Minnow are very similar fish indeed. They are indeed both from the minnow family. As far as Buntzen goes, I have caught Chub there in the past. I have not caught Pike minnow in there though...but no doubt they are likely in there. I kept the first Chub I caught there and it didn't taste too bad. LOL
Just as badcat stated, I thought it was a Whitefish!
I have also caught Burbot in this lake.

Cheers!

-Nathan in NW

· Registered
25 Posts
I saw somebody with a good size fish that certainly wasn't a trout. I would say it was in the 5+lb range. I only saw it from a distance (chatting between boats)and the person who caught it didn't know what type of fish it was either but said they caught it with a black leech if I recall correctly. I just assumed it to be some kind of white fish, ,maybe it was a burbot...don't know if you could catch one on a fly though.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
well fishing this lake i or someone I was with have caught Chub, Rainbows and even a plump 3-4lb Cutthroat. Usually all we get is bows but sometimes you get one of those big chubs. and the cutty came on a big black leech fished quite deep probably 40-60feet down, his sinking line was hanging straight down because we had stopped to chat. and when he started to bring it up to recast BANG!! it was a gorgeous fish

· Registered
452 Posts
Burbot is just a freshwater cod and UUUUggulee. You'd definitely be able to tell it apart from chubs or pikeminnow. Rainbow fry were stocked last month in there so look for some decent non-hatchery rainbows in about 3 years.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Roughingminor said:
Ha! I was just going to mention that. The Burbot is perhaps the ugliest creature that I've ever had the misfortune of meeting. I've seen some big nasty ones come out of Okanagan Lake.
But one of the tastiest!!! :thumbup:

· Registered
475 Posts
Here's a decent pic of a Burbot.
I caught mine when I was maybe 13 years old at Buntzen on a size 12? Royal Coachman off the bottom in about 4 feet of water. I was trolling around in my dingy.

Cheers! -Nathan in NW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.