BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was on vacation with my family staying at the Scotch Creek (Shuswap Lake Provincial Park) Campgroud. With my boy of 3 and wife of 5 month pregnant I didn't have a lot of time to fish (by myself) but manage to get out three early (5am) morning. I ventured according to Sparky's directions to the mouth of the Adams River with my floattube.

Monday morning (5:00 am, July 17th) I kick off and got into the current which jetted me out into the lake about 200 m. I proceeded to troll on my full sinking line some streamer and epoxy minnow patterns. First fish, 15" squawfish, exciting but not my intended quary. Next fish just after 6:15 was a beauty chrome 23" rainbow (4-5 lbs) - what a scrapper - that I release immediately (regulations specify catch and release only in this part of the lake). Stripped me into my backing and made some good runs. Pulled me a ways out into the lake. I was psyched. Caught two more squawfish and then headed back to camp for the day to hit the beach with my family. Kicking in the current was exhausting but well worth the effort with a great reward.

Wednesday morning got out into the water. It was a very pleasant morning and the ducks were catching smolt on the surface. I managed a squawfish then was greeted from the depth by a nice rainbow (~5 lbs, 24” long) on an epoxy minnow. The duck saw the commontion on the surface and quickly arrived at the end of my line where the fish was splashing about then they decided the fish was too big for them and turned tail and floated away. A few good runs and then fish was then landed gently in my net. With some quick coordination I got a picture of this brute. I was pleased with the success. The rainbow slipped back into the water with minimum exposure to the air and swam away happy. Soon it was time to head back to camp for breakfast and another day of fishing done.

My beauty rainbow (catch and release)

A fellow fisherman flycasting for rainbows

Friday morning I wasn’t successful in catching any rainbow trout but enjoyed the squawfish to the tune of about 10 after deciding it was getting too late (6:45) for the rainbows to bite. I pulled out of the current and headed for camp. A great end to a fine three mornings of fishing.

I'll post a few more pictures when I get them uploaded to my photosite (www. dropshots.com)

I recommend that you give the Adams River mouth a try. It’s a blast. I’ll be back next summer when the family and I spend a week at Scotch Creek PC.

B-Daddy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow! BDaddy, That is certainly a great place to go fishing. I certainly wished that I could have been with you. Maybe, next year. I also am impressed with the photos since you must have gotten some of your skill from your 'ol Dad, Haa,Haa!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice work B-daddy. Happy to hear the advice helped. Beauty fish to take on the surface!
Sparky

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Nice read, man....Sounds like you had a great time there with the family!.......Ortho 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts