BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Helped the brotherinlaw set up downriggers on his Bayliner only to find that the slowest speed is way too fast for them. Until he gets a kicker, is there any methods of fishing infront of the cap without downriggers? Is it worth while to jig or cast from a boat? Anyone have any luck without downriggers? Thanks for any help! Oh yeah, anyone selling a kicker? :wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
800rpms

I have a bayliner 2003 17.5 with 135hp it was running at 1200rpm in nutrual and should have been at 800rpms this should make a big difference as I troll all the time even for Trout. Chris :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Get a 5 gallon plastic bucket and secure it in the prop wash as a sea anchor by tying it off from both back corner cleats. This will slow you down. Then I would look at a heavier cannonball ie 12 or 15 lb

·
Registered
19 Posts
what abot deep sixs, didnt you use to use those bigjay? are the deep sixs working with spoons/ hootchies and if so waht depths around the cap? thanks alot

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yeah, I used deep sixes but never did I catch any of the Cap white springs on them. I caught red springs three times in a row at 24 pulles or about 24' three time at the end of August first Days of sept.
When going for white spring at the Cap it is like back trolling pools in the river. Not everyone will believe. The best is to go at the speed that the flasler just rolles. Cannon ball bouncing of the bottom. Normally, I put the cannon ball 5 feet up from the reliease or up or the radious of the spin up the cable.
I think a lot of red fish are for the fraser or indian or Seymor.
Went sailing. I had no rod last time I was on the water but I heard good fishing for large red chinook is on the other side of the bay.
have fun, Jason

·
Registered
116 Posts
too fast to troll.

I would try adjusting your idle. Otherwise, if some guys are landing Coho on spoons from shore, you should be able to do even better from the Bayliner. Saves on gas too.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
hey bigjay have you been out in the saltchuck latley? if so whats happening out there?

C.K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts