BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having issues with my MR3 drag. The tighter I set the drag the harder it is to reel.
Reel is a couple years old now but alwase rinsed after every use and greased occasionally when the drag started to get sticky.
Maybe I'm missing a small part after taking it apart so many times last summer?
Have any of you guys had this problem before?

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Having issues with my MR3 drag. The tighter I set the drag the harder it is to reel.
Reel is a couple years old now but alwase rinsed after every use and greased occasionally when the drag started to get sticky.
Maybe I'm missing a small part after taking it apart so many times last summer?
Have any of you guys had this problem before?

Cheers
Dave
Yes, so I bought Abel mooching reels. No problems.

That aside--Have you serviced it--besides rinses---between uses--or between seasons?
Salt and crud can get in there and bugger things up-
They have a cool kit with synthetic grease and oil, and little 'Swiffer"-like applicators you can get for cheap.

Also, depending on the age and year of the reel, the main spring...about 1/2" tall and about the same around..was faulty, or made of faulty materials. They sent me a few at no cost. That helped.

Eliot in Islander Service Dep't. is a good guy--250.544.4856

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the # Mike ill give eliot a ring.
never been sent in to be serviced just regularly greased and oiled the cork.
also backed the drag off after each use

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Maybe for the money you have to pay for these MR3s, they might want to address drag creep while on the down rigger. If they could you wouldn't have to set it so tight and then have to fiddle with it once you set your hook. I had one, gone back to the clunky Shimano. Abel is nice, but my wife is concerned about taking out a second mortgage to buy one😄

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah abel are great reels, used them up at langara and was really happy with the drag. dont think i can bite the bullet on the price though haha.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Yeah abel are great reels, used them up at langara and was really happy with the drag. dont think i can bite the bullet on the price though haha.
Actually---just a bit more than the MR3---but the drag is the real difference.The line capacity, physical size, and basic feel etc. are nearly identical.
(I noticed that on Abel's website, the specs/dimensions of their Mooching reel are incorrect--they show a measurement of 3" or somesuch that should read 4"+. Don't know if they corrected that yet.)

BCI on this forum was the impetus for the change...he fishes a LOT---and I value his opinions and takes on anything salmon fishing related.

What got me to take notice was that he mentioned no line creep on the downrigger without cranking the shiat out of it, and that was when he was down deep after winter feeders--- a whole different set of resistance and drag circumstances.

Much different than trolling a spoon 40'-60' down in summer. So if it worked that well for him in feeder conditions, that was enough for me. I'm a fair-weather salmon fisherman--I only get out in the summer, as a rule.

I sold two of my gently-used MR3's, so it wasn't like shelling out $$ just for the Abel.

But the clicker/ratchet on the Abel drag feels better than just free-wheeling on the MR3, so you have an idea of where the drag is set.

Interesting to fish one of each on side-by-side downriggers so you can get a good comparison.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Drag creep on my MR3's is nonexistent.
I use Superlube grease rather than the oil on my drag cork.
Even fishing 300+ feet in WH.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Drag creep on my MR3's is nonexistent.
I use Superlube grease rather than the oil on my drag cork.
Even fishing 300+ feet in WH.
Maybe you have an Abel in up dressed up in an Islander costume?

Ha! You'd know buddy...you fish 100 days a year--
Hope to catch you for a week of that in late July.

See you soon-

·
Registered
513 Posts
Maybe you have an Abel in up dressed up in an Islander costume?

Ha! You'd know buddy...you fish 100 days a year--
Hope to catch you for a week of that in late July.

See you soon-

Marlene got a new hot pink Islander for Christmas.
I think of it as a piece of jewelery.
Not sure she does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts