BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We decided to giver a go for more sturgeon, and had much better results! We put the boat in the water in mission and each spot we tried we got a hit! I think maybe the better quality oolis helped our cause! We didnt have much luck with the prepackaged smelt, so we tried the flash frozen ones. We caught 4 sturgeon in total - Gord caught a 5 & a 4 footer and I caught a 5 footer & my biggest so far - 79"!! Unfortunately there was no beach/sand area where we could take him to shore and get a good photo of him, so we did our best measuring him in the water and releasing him. He was a bit too big to pick up :happy: Such a fun way to get a sore arm! :happy:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
thats awesome to see you didnt get skunked this time out. :thumbup: looks like i missed out :wallbash: theres always next time though ;D didnt you 2 have your daughter out? did she bring any in?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HOOK said:
thats awesome to see you didnt get skunked this time out. :thumbup: looks like i missed out :wallbash: theres always next time though ;D didnt you 2 have your daughter out? did she bring any in?
Yes she came out with us - actually she helped me near the end as that one was pretty hard to do myself - I'm not sure who was more tired - him or me - lol. (He probably weighed close to, her and I together - :happy: ) It was funny cause I told Gord - this time Im gonna set the hook - so I grabbed the rod and I didnt even have a chance - He took off like a rocket, took me, I would say about 1/2 an hour to bring it in - Was like reeling in a cow!! Dont know if you can see - in the last photo there - I JUST had him in the lip. I cant believe he didnt get off - considering he cleared the water 3 times!!!
Was an expensive day though! Gord was casting one of our rods (As I dont cast those things) and I dont know what he was thinking - But when he casted - he let it go!!! Actually the worst part was the reel was not ours - only the rod - so now we owe our neighbour a new Penn reel! :wallbash: He had a minute there where I thought he was going to jump into the river and get it as it slowly went into the murky water, but changed his mind! He knows that I can not lift that anchor off the ground - its just too heavy for me! We lost a trophy sturgeon special and a penn GTI330 - So IF ANYONE HAPPENS TO REEL ONE IT - ITS OURS!!! :happy: Also there was ALOT of crap in the water that day - lots of sticks and crap and and I started the engine and bent the @@@@ propeller! So it was an expensive day to say the least ::) At least we had another propeller on board. So that part - you could say SUCKED!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh just wanted to say one more thing - SO RIB if your out there - the day of the fish out when you lost your fly line - WE just topped that - :happy: Cheers :beerchug: :drunk: (After those kind of days you need a drink ) :happy:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
hmm OUCH to all the bad things that happened but all in all it was still a great day getting some dino's right? I wonder what was going through Gord's mind when he tossed the rod in :happy: I did that once with my drift rod though. went to cast but hit myself in the side with the butt end and tossed it right into the water :wallbash: good thing it spun around and the weight stuck near shore because the rod was out to far to reach :happy: I sure felt like a tool when that happened in the first hour of the day :cheers: Hope your neighbour wasnt too pissed about the reel :peace: but hey i have seen sturgeon take rods right out of peoples hands :happy: :happy: :happy: also seen a chinook pull a guy into the river once :happy: :happy:

good thing it was only sticks coming down river and not lots of trees :eek:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The trees were there too - let me tell ya - HUGE stumps - everything!
Funny thing was when we were coming back to the boat launch on our way in we could see this smoke bellowing in the sky and I said to Gord - Oh great now our trucks gonna be on fire - and as we got closer - the fire was closer to where we had parked and I thought oh [email protected]! But LUCKY for us - it was the mill not our truck - Unlucky for them! But that woulda just put the icing on the cake! :happy:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey guys........good goin'!....Looks like you had a nice day out there on the ol' muddy.....Any sturgie over 6 ft. is a big fish!..Anything bigger than that and you usually have to pass the rod a few times. Really glad you caught a few. Now, did you put a small x in the bottom of the boat to mark your spot? ;)..... ;D....LOL.........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fishortho said:
Hey guys........good goin'!....Looks like you had a nice day out there on the ol' muddy.....Any sturgie over 6 ft. is a big fish!..Anything bigger than that and you usually have to pass the rod a few times. Really glad you caught a few. Now, did you put a small x in the bottom of the boat to mark your spot? ;)..... ;D....LOL.........Ortho 8)
Yes sir we sure did - marked it on the GPS :thumbup: And yeah I was getting to that point of passing the rod - but I thought - no way - Im gonna win !!! ;)

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
:happy: you sound just as stubborn as me Lynn :thumbup: I wouldnt want to pass the rod either even if it was a huge one :happy: how bad would it bug you if you pass the rod and thats where you lose the fish :naughty: ive had that happen while barfishing when you run down and grab someone elses rod and when they get there you pass it off and POP fish gone :confused:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
fishnfvr said:
Oh just wanted to say one more thing - SO RIB if your out there - the day of the fish out when you lost your fly line - WE just topped that - :happy: Cheers :beerchug: :drunk: (After those kind of days you need a drink ) :happy:
Yup I'm out here Fvr...sorry to hear about the rod and reel...LoL, eventually you'll be laughing about it, if you haven't been already...glad to hear you guys had a great day though...! That's awesome!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice fish, sounds like they gave you a workout!
Good thing you have the GPS digits. You can keep going back to that spot 'til you hook the lost rod, if a fish isn't dragging it around the river. ;D

Baiter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.