BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys. I've been casually tying for a couple of years now. Last night I decided to try my hand at a muddler minnow. This also just happened to be the first time I got truly frustrated tying a fly. The vise almost went through the window!! :-\

My problem at first was getting the tail right. After a few tries, I managed to get it the way I wanted it to look. I still cannot get the wing right, with the 2 matched turkey quill slips. After I put the sub-standard wing on, I of course had trouble with the collar. I've spun deer hair, and have tied with it, but just couldnt get a collar on the fly. As hard as I tried to not spin the hair, it still spun!?

Does anyone have any tips for tying with these materials, the tail, wing, and deer hair collar in particular. I have read lots of books, and even had a video in front of me while tying. I just wanted to punch the guy in the face on the DVD, as it looked way to easy!

ANyways, I'm not sure if I'm venting or looking for suggestions...hopefully both!

· Banned
2,854 Posts
is this the pattern your trying to tie? i cant really explain how to tie them though :confused: I like to leave more deer hair on mine because they work just as good and i can always cut it sparser if i need to :cheers:

these flies work great on all sorts of salmon :thumbup:

· Registered
3,796 Posts
T_Dogg - I will try to find a good explantion for setting the feathers on the muddler, but for now I will try to explain how I do it. I hold the feathers in place on the top of the hook and pinch them and the hook shank between the thumb and forefinger of my left hand. (I actually cant the feathers about 5 or ten degrees off vertical towards me). I then bring my tying thread up and between my thumb and forefinger and pinch it. then i take the bobbin end down and under the hook shank and them pull up with just enough tension to hold the feathers in place (soft wrap). I will do this at least 3 times, them use wraps with more tension. As for the collar, let the deer hair spin. Tie the first clump of deer hair onto the fly with the tips pointing back as far as you want the collar. You then let the hair spin and when you trim the butts away, you leave tips as the collar. I find it is easier to use just enough spun deer hair to form the collar, trim the butts, then start adding and spinning the rest of the hair that will form the head. The biggest problem is clipping the spun head without cutting the collar. I will see if i can find some images, or film it for you.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks hook, I just put everything away last night, and will try again tonight. I'm tying while I'm at work, so that might have added to the frustration. :happy:

Thanks for the info Prof. I'm going to give it another go tonite. The biggest problem I was having with the turkey was not getting it right on top of the hook. The info you gave should help me out with that problem.

:peace:

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Here is a great thread from the Michigan sportsman.com "The best tying insturctions I have found on the net are at www.flyanglersonline.com from their home page click on fly tying - intermediate tying - part 33 when you get there you will see excellent step by step insturctions with great pictures and text on tying the Muddler minnow." I really like flyanglersonline,but you really can't post links to any part of their site, cause they have only the one URL? I have looked at the instructions and they are really very good.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always visit flyanglersonline.com at least once a week. Love the Fly Of The Week Patterns. Anyways, an update...

I tried again tonite. Decided to try a large size 4 hook, and bought some sally hansen's. The sally's really helped to keep the fibres of the turkey together. I also picked up some razor blades for the deer head. Add that to the great tips you guys gave me, and I have now successfully tied the MM!!! I have to get the mylar to lay down flatter, but pther than that, she looks good!

I can't say enough about this site, and the great folks like you guys willing to help out, and so damn fast too!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

· Registered
3,796 Posts
T_Dogg80 said:
Decided to try a large size 4 hook, and bought some sally hansen's. The sally's really helped to keep the fibres of the turkey together.
At michael Crafts (or any art supply house) you can buy Krylon artist fixative. I find this works much better than Sally Hansens as it is not as stiff, but still holds the turkey fibres very well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.