BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering what people think of the multi tip line systems. I either need to spend 60-120 bucks on new spools or get a multitip line setup.

pros/cons? this would go on a pflueger 2056

Cheers

· Registered
306 Posts
I use the RIO multi tip line for my 8wt. It's real handy for river fishing because you can cover any water condition easily. $150.00 gets you a full float and four different sink tips. I have used all the various tips on different occasions and have no complaints.

· Registered
166 Posts
Multi tip lines are good. I use the Rio versitip for my nine weight for Salmon fishing. Cover the river from top to bottom. However, if an individual is on a tighter budget the same thing can be accomplished with some of the new poly leaders. For instance, you can get some 10 foot tips, and get a slow sinker, medium sink, and an extra fast sink, to cover different areas of the river. The tips attach to your regular floating line, and will only set you back 30 bucks.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
I also use the rio multi tip on my 9wt and nothing beats this line, but like someone else has said you can always go with one that is made. Go see the guys at reaction as I know guys that have had them made by them and they where fine. You just have to buy a floating line and they can make the rest.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
flyguy said:
I also use the rio multi tip on my 9wt and nothing beats this line, but like someone else has said you can always go with one that is made. Go see the guys at reaction as I know guys that have had them made by them and they where fine. You just have to buy a floating line and they can make the rest.
Yes, this is true but no matter how much you try it will NEVER cast like the factory Rio line and tips!

· Registered
1,165 Posts
I have cast a home made one and I found that it hinges too much. Nothing beats a factory made multi tip especially the Rio. I have had mine for 2 years and I will not fish with anything else on my 9wt.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
Airflo's Poly Leaders are available in a 14' length...those are the ones I would go with if you are going to build your own multi-tip with a regular floater and sinking leaders.

I have several RIO multitips from the single hand to spey lines...and I love them. Pricey but worth the money IMHO.

· Registered
21 Posts
I got the Rio Versi-tip for my 5wt and am quite pleased with it.. Kinda pricey but very versitile

one draw back is the loop connection which is annoying through the guides as you begin to cast or as you retrieve the line in close

otherwise no other complaints

· Registered
5,163 Posts
badboi said:
I got the Rio Versi-tip for my 5wt and am quite pleased with it.. Kinda pricey but very versitile

one draw back is the loop connection which is annoying through the guides as you begin to cast or as you retrieve the line in close

otherwise no other complaints
Yes, that is is true, it can get a bit annoying at times but after you use them for a while you get used to it! ;) No other manufacture has better loops for their multi tip lines that I know of. So until a manufacture comes out with something better I will stick to my Rio Versa Tip! ;D :2cents:

:cheers: Rick

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so, consensus is don't bother with the extra spools just purchase the versatip? I guess I can just keep my other lines for my other 5 wt and use it as an extra set up.

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just another question, so I guess if youre just fishing the floating tip you have to cut your leader off to put on another tip? If you're lake fishing, does the full sink get down deep enough?

· Registered
5,163 Posts
bronjuan said:
just another question, so I guess if youre just fishing the floating tip you have to cut your leader off to put on another tip? If you're lake fishing, does the full sink get down deep enough?
No you dont have to cut your leader off beacause the line system comes with a floating tip, just change the tip! It also comes with a clear - type 1, brown/yellow loop - type three and a grey/grey loop - type 6. Covers the whole spectrum! :) Here is a link to the rio website. http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=14

· Registered
1,165 Posts
bronjuan said:
The Rio system comes with a floating tip, Intermediate tip, type 3, type 5, and a type 8. If you want tp use a floating line you just attach the floating tip.

I only use the multi tip on my 9wt for the rivers. If I am on the lake fishing for trout I go with my 6wt and a different line for what ever I want to fish.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
Actually, bronjuan...what the multi-tip gives you is some versatility in one spool to be able to fish a full floater and a variety of sinking tip lines. The clear tip for example is excellent for fishing emergers or damsel migrations in the shallow shoals. You can even fish chironomids "naked" if you need to fish deeper than 15' by using the type 6 sinking tip and adjust your leader length according to the depth of the water you're fishing...this avoids using a clunky indicator, and gets your fly down beyond 15' in a hurry.

BUT...this does not mean that you will never use a full sinking line again. For trolling for example, you will want a full sinking line as tension on a sinking tip, any sinking tip, will pull up the short sinking head and soon you will be near the surface again. In short, a full sinking line gives you a better horizontal presentation, while a sinking tip gives a better vertical presentation. I personally don't use a sinking tip much on the lakes, but reserve them more for the rivers. Stripping leeches also tends to work better on a sinking line.

If you are looking for strictly a stillwater setup, then I can suggest that two flylines will cover 99% of your bases...get two spools and fill one with a good quality full floating line, and the other with a good quality Uniform Sink (sometimes called Density Compensated) Type II or Type III flyline. The two flylines will cost slightly less than the RIO Versitip, be more suited to lake flyfishing, and you can use the extra $30 towards the extra spool that you're going to need. HTH.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
flyguy said:
The Rio system comes with a floating tip, Intermediate tip, type 3, type 5, and a type 8. If you want tp use a floating line you just attach the floating tip.

I only use the multi tip on my 9wt for the rivers. If I am on the lake fishing for trout I go with my 6wt and a different line for what ever I want to fish.
When you purchase a Rio versa tip that is 8wt or bigger you get "floating tip, Intermediate tip, type 3, type 6, and a type 8"

When you purchase a Rio versa tip that is 7wt and smaller you get "floating tip, Intermediate tip, type 3 and a type 6" no type 8!

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah my dilemma is to either just buy new spools for my old lines (cortland 444 etc) or to just use one reel and switch up the tips. The first option isn't really handy for carrying and the other you compromise your fishing a bit....Have some thinking to do

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Frankly, I have a couple of Veratip set ups for my salmon and steelhead fishing, but for lake fishing, I go with a floating, a full sink type 6 and a slime line. TYhese are mush easier to handle and to dial into my style of lake fishing. When I am fishing rivers for trout, I am almost never in need of anything other than a floating line (although I have given the Rio polyleaders a favourable trial).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.