BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after reciving our wakeup call at 5am we were off timmies for some coffee. Desided to fish up top of the river cement slab it was! Waiting for the sun to come up for it was very cold. Once it did I fished up in the fast pocket water with no results. My boss shows up to say hey and try his luck aswell. I moved down to fish the deep pool beside him! First cast fish on nice little coho that spit the hook after a brief hookup few casts later hooked a monster spring that somehow snaped my 15lb mainline that was my first mistake buying mainline other than maxima ultragreen never again will I make that mistake my reel was loaded with p line IMO JUNK. I desided to cross the river and fish the other side of the slab! Adjusted my float to the proper depth after a few casts I'm into anouther fish. Fish clears the water and its a pig of a coho and no adipose fin! Played it for a few min and landed what turned out to be a 16 lb doe full of berrys. My biggest coho to date! Fished a bit more across from marko and we desided to move down river. The coho barley fit in my vest back pouch. Found anouther pool full of fish cast after cast I was into big fish and every hookup my mainline would break I really think P line is garbage. Both marko and I were into a ton of fish all day we even seen a huge black bear walking up the bank very cool! Thanks for the day Marko it was a blast!

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Thanks for the report cohokiller. That big black bear in the upper river was taken care of by the local CO's. It apparently had an injured leg.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We did hear of CO's walkin around with high powered rifles yesterday. By the way p line is garbage. CK

· Registered
118 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. I will be up there tomorrow :thumbup: I have experimented with different lines and some are a lot better then others. I have this stuff that I bought for 5 bucks and was a huge spool and is amazing stuff but maxima is tough to beat

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts
CK's 15lb P-Line mainline was consistantly beaking before his 8lb Maxima leader would. This was occurring
right at the knot making me wonder if this brand is more brittle under tension.

:beerchug: Marko

· Registered
1,386 Posts
marko said:
CK's 15lb P-Line mainline was consistantly beaking before his 8lb Maxima leader would. This was occurring
right at the knot making me wonder if this brand is more brittle under tension.

:beerchug: Marko
Interesting.....I switched over to P-Line for my leader while I still have maxima 15lb mainline, and I have had more breaks in my mainline than in my leader. I found P-line to be a stronger leader than maxima......maybe a defective spool?

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I couldn't beleave my 8lb leader wouldn't break befor my mainline I checked my guides and all was well this has never happened with maxima ultragreen my confidence was shot everytime I hooked a big fish. Maybe travis is right could be a defective spool of line! Thanks for the bday wishes everyone! Cheers! CK

· Registered
45 Posts
I love P-line casts well, strong, no issue with knots. Bass fishing with 8 lb in the states I have pulled the boat over to the bank reeling down on a snag....or straightened hooks. fish 20 for chums and it is tuff. What knot are you tying???

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I switched to using a different method than the weight sliding on my mainline. My setup was tying an improved clinch knot and leaving a long tag from the knot and pinch my weight on it! My leader knot was a clinch knot and my hook knot is a bait loop knot! A lot of my breaks are at the knot to and yes I wet my knot befor I tighten them! Maxima ultragreen imo a far superior line! CK

· Registered
1,386 Posts
I'm going to do a test on these 2 lines, see which one is stronger! I think I'll base it on 15lb as I will need to respool my reel soon, this way I can see which I will spool with.

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
A belated Happy b-day to ya buddy... :thumbup: We just got back into town and I didn't see this until now... :-[

Glad to hear the great days fishing is becoming a tradition on the b-day...sounds like you had a blast...! :cheers:

rib

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
By the way...in regards to your line issues...check the ceramic inserts on your guides for any chips or cracks...specifically check the top guide, but have a good look at all of them...

Sometimes a chip in a guide can be the source of the problem...

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey rib hope you had an awesome trip! Thanks for the b day wish bud I just had my top two guides on my hmx redone 2 weeks ago checked the others with a q tip and all is well no chips very smooth!line seemed to also break at my swivel knot on my mainline. Very disapointed with this line! CK

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.