BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
June 23 2006
We tried fishing the Capilano River from 5:30pm to 9:30pm. My sister was casting a Gibbs pencil float, two splitshots, and a single hook with some Coho roe. I was casting various spinners. We fished the large bottleneck/pool just below the Marine Way bridge and on the West side. Not one other person fishing in sight. I changed through about five or six spinners. One spinner that was all silver resulted in a Coho striking. I only had it on for five seconds and then it shook free. Damn those barbless hooks. That must have spooked the pool, because we didn't get any hits after that. Gotta love it though!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Please excuse me, but I was told that the area between the Marine Drive bridge and the train bridge further below was actually native land. Is that true? Anyway - sounds like you had a good time - with no one else around!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You are right magician! It is native fishing only between the Green Marine drive bridge to the silver train bridge behind Park Royal.The Squamish nation has fisheries officers 24/7 starting today til mid November.You will be asked to leave if you are found fishing on native land.

Hotrod

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
now if one was native status but not from the reserve at the cap can one still sportfish on there land? not like thats the best spot to fish anyways just a question?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strange...

Hmmm...I've fished between those two bridges on the west side maybe four times between 1998 and 2006, and no aboriginal has ever asked me to leave. I have encountered initially hostile aboriginals many times fishing up in the Shuswap, they approach with firearms, but a friendly conversation can change their mind. Just play it cool.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Yeah somtimes they let ya get away with it but no chance in the fall when the run is on.Generally you will be asked to leave if they see you there.For the most part if you are native you can fish there.Hence the term "native fishing only".If you are friendly they will be friendly too but if you are not then they will not be.

Hotrod

·
Registered
411 Posts
The river there is open if people knew that, native land is above the highwater mark. If you walked down and you never walked on THERE LAND..... See where I am going......

I fish down there all the time, LMAO Natives try and move me off ya rt :twisted:

But is it really worth getting into a pissing match over a fish????

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pissing match?

That was funny, but you're right. It just ain't worth even arguing over. Yee Haw! I guess that ends this thread. Check out my Capilano report for June 242006 above this thread.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
no it's not worth it!

Hotrod

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Anyone been up lately? I've been checking the water levels online and it would seem there is decent flow most of the day, just wondering if anyone knows how the run is doing right now, has it peaked? or are there still good numbers of fish coming in?
Thx,
Rib

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Over the last few days they have been letting the dam open for a few hours a day. I guess with all this heat there is melt off from this years snow pack.Anyways fresh fish have been moving in daily ranging from 4-7 lbs. Some goood fishing when you can find them but they are in there.

Hotrod

·
Registered
29 Posts
Band land

The area between the bridges is actually band land - including the area below the high water and including the stream bed itself. This is one of the few places in the province that the stream bed is not owned by the crown. Therefore, even if you are standing in the river up to your Fruit of the Looms, you are on Squamish band land and will be kicked off (gracefully or otherwise). :wink:

·
Registered
411 Posts
What do you mean by otherwise :?: :?:

They can't touch you if you do not want to leave then they have to call the local Police. But to put there hands on you they can be charged :wink:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Not if you're tresspassing and are not co-operating. You can be held until authority's arrive and have all your gear comphiscated.If you are trsspassing on band land.

Hotrod

·
Registered
411 Posts
Gear taken away ya right only a DFO or CO can do that the local police can't. For Tresspassing :roll: :roll: :roll:

What a joke this is. What right does a Native have to take gear? So you are telling me Us the other Race's can take the gear from them to when they are poaching out Doctors Pool of all the Spring's??? Lay our hands on them and wait for the Police... That is what you are saying isn't it Hot Rod :?: :?:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
No CS that's not what I'm saying! Try reading it again! It's quitew clear.

Hotrod

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey C/S.......don't get yer shirt in a knot. The best fishing is BELOW the Rail bridge and above the Marine Dr. bridge anyway. Why would you want to pi** into the wind?..Ortho 8)

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Heading up to the cap on Monday AM, going to spend most of the day up there....
Anyone else going up? Post or PM, let me know, maybe I can get to finally meet some of you guys...
Thx,
Rib

As far as confrontations on the river goes...why would you want to waste valuable fishing time bickering over one rock when there are so many others to stand on?
Besides, fishing down there is a little too "city boy" for me... :lol:
I'd rather not hear the cars and such, just the hum
of my centerpin and the wind in the trees.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Well, fished the cap all day...fished lower, middle and upper river....nothing. Just a bunch of smolts gnawing on my bait all day. There were fish present but they seemed uninterested in my presentations. Threw roe, spinners, jigs, jensen eggs, wool in several colors and sadly the fish were not cooperating. Some rain and a fresh push of fish will help I'm sure...

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
"I'd rather hear the hum of my centerpin and the wind in the trees"...You forgot to add "the pain in the knuckles and the strain in the wrists" from reelin' in all those hatch bound fish!!.....Lol.......Ortho 8) Ribby, you gotta be there when the water is spilled and the tides are favourable.Period!
......Ok so it's not all a quote...(I'm still learning).....AAArrhhhh!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts