BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,here we go,my pasion and knowledge have grown to the point where we need to upgrade something.
Looks like I'm getting a new CP rod and reel.I have been considering a SAGE CP 3106L,and a gold Islander stealheader I think its a 4 1/4' diameter.
What I would like from you to give some feedback on this gear,either if you owned such, or own it now or just have heard experinces from a friend.
Please give me a honest opinion as this not a cheap investment,thank you in advance.

FINALLY :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

· Registered
894 Posts
islander reels are 4.5inch. I have owned an islander, its a good reel for the money, probably one of the best around.. some will tell you go milner for the extra 100 bucks.. but the new milners to me arent worth that.. i think the older ones are better. the 3106l is a good rod BUT sage isnt the be all to end all... look at lamiglas or loomis rods and you can find as good.. pm bent rod about lamiglas rods, he can steer u in the right direction towards a comparable rod. IMO sage's 500 dollar rod, your paying a lot for the name, not to say it isnt a fine rod, i own several, but for a beginner you can do as good for cheaper.

· Registered
894 Posts
name them. milner is more money and the new ones are not the same quality as they were when they were talisman reels. the old silexs and avons are nice too but the warranty is nice to have if anything goes wrong. Islander is probably the best choice.

· Registered
1,519 Posts
Islanders are great reels!

I own two of them. I would think that a better all around rod for it would be a 3113 MB but the 3106l will suffice. I originally had a 2106 rod for my cp but found that it seemed a little light for casting. I landed some big steel with it and it performed great. On my second reel I matched it with the 3113 and am completely happy with that rod. I was so happy with it I bought the same rod in the baitcastor version and now is my favorite rod.

Good luck on your purchase. I don't think you can go wrong with what you are looking at!
\

Hotrod

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
The Islanders are alright R-vac, I enjoyed using it the first couple times, but will still always go back to my silex. I gave the Islander to my girlfriend...

As for the rods, the 3113 LB is really nice, I'd definitely take it over the MB. I'd stick with the 11'3" rods, if you end up settling on something 10'6" you'll likely want something else in a year or two...

We'll talk some more,

:cheers:

· Registered
691 Posts
i think the 3113LB from sage it the ultimate rod for pinning but trying to find one will be really hard alot of guys go with the 3113M factory and these are also good rods as well but once you fish any LB version form sage it's hard to go back to the MB's the difference is the action of these rods the LB is a slow action and the factory M's a med to fast action rating for the 3113M is 12-25lbs but really its 8-20lbs at least it feels like it to me and for the LB it's a lighter action and its rating of 6-15lbs as for other rods i've used lamiglas,loomis and to me they didn't have the same feeling for the flexablity like in the sage LB's.Pending on how long the rod 3113 for 11'3" or 3106LB for 10'6" and how sensitve you like it either one is a good choice.
For reels depends on much you want to spend but islanders,milners are great choices both are smooth and i'm a fan of BC made products :thumbup: turn around is super fast from John.M or the islander factory.

243 Posts
I love my Islander. I like it more than my Milner. Could be that I've (ab)used my milner so much that I need to send it in to get it worked over though...

IMO Sage rods are nice, but over rated. I have a lami 3113 that is nice for a Vedder rod but I prefer a lighter all around rod so the nod goes to the Forecast 11'6" 6/7 spey blank. You can get a custom rod for less than the price of a stock sage that is at least equal in performance. Lami makes a very nice 13' 3 piece rod if your looking for a longer stick and in the same category St.Croix also makes a very nice 13' 2 piece rod, the Avid, that I used for several seasons and would stand behind 100%.

I'd suggest not getting sucked into the Sage propaganda, keep your options open but try to test drive a few rods for more than a couple of casts (an entire day or two is better) before you make up your mind.

· Registered
273 Posts
Kryptonite said:
I love my Islander. I like it more than my Milner. Could be that I've (ab)used my milner so much that I need to send it in to get it worked over though...

IMO Sage rods are nice, but over rated. I have a lami 3113 that is nice for a Vedder rod but I prefer a lighter all around rod so the nod goes to the Forecast 11'6" 6/7 spey blank. You can get a custom rod for less than the price of a stock sage that is at least equal in performance. Lami makes a very nice 13' 3 piece rod if your looking for a longer stick and in the same category St.Croix also makes a very nice 13' 2 piece rod, the Avid, that I used for several seasons and would stand behind 100%.

I'd suggest not getting sucked into the Sage propaganda, keep your options open but try to test drive a few rods for more than a couple of casts (an entire day or two is better) before you make up your mind.
Hey oliver,you are right(keep your options open).I did used most of the rods that you just mention,they are all good rods but nothing can beat the sage warranty.

· Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok BOYZ,I see we got some really great opinions and give respect to everyone of them,but I think maybe I should mention this.
I want this to be a safe and long term investment,as I'm not the tip of guy that is going to purchase something and see my budy have a new series of same product and then run fast to the store or the internet to make the order for the same thing.Never :wallbash:
Other thing is I will be targeting mainlly steel and coho but like to have the enough backup to pull in the odd spring,and the steelies get close to twenties sometimes too, :happy:
Hope this helps out a bit,again really thanks for all the replies. :thumbup:

· Registered
1,461 Posts
ribolovac if you want 1 rod for everything and you want a sage I'd definatly say to get a 3113M for your islander. As it will have the length for the longer drifts, it will bend nicely for the steel and hos but at the same time handle the springs and chum with ease. Or you could try finding a 3113MB (brown blank) everyone that I know says they are a bit more noodly(not by much though). I

· Registered
341 Posts
kingpin said:
name them. milner is more money and the new ones are not the same quality as they were when they were talisman reels. the old silexs and avons are nice too but the warranty is nice to have if anything goes wrong. Islander is probably the best choice.
Hi Ribolovac As for an investment IMO the Milners are a better long term reel. Sage are nice rods BUT I do agree with looking at the Lamiglass.

Hi Kingpin maybe you can enlighten me as to the differences between the old Milners and new?

Bluesteele

· Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks shane,now the finding part is the tough one,not many shops carry them,I've been to sea run and berries and they dont have them,will keep looking :thumbup:

· Registered
894 Posts
blue steele, I have 2 of johns original reels while the company was called talisman reels, these are top quality and great performing reels... his new stuff when compared to the old stuff dont spin near as nice, have more spool play and overall are just not as good as they once were imo, this is comparing a couple different newer reels to mine, maybe they were both lemons but ive heard similar sentiments from other people.

· Registered
341 Posts
kingpin said:
blue steele, I have 2 of johns original reels while the company was called talisman reels, these are top quality and great performing reels... his new stuff when compared to the old stuff dont spin near as nice, have more spool play and overall are just not as good as they once were imo, this is comparing a couple different newer reels to mine, maybe they were both lemons but ive heard similar sentiments from other people.
Thanks Kingpin ! I've got an 82 talisman that I inherited and a later 4 .5 (actually a bit smaller)Kingfisher bushing. As well as a new 5" kingfisher bushing and a Snipe
which is bearing. The Snipe definitely has some spool play and I find most bearing reels do. The new 5" bushing is TIGHT. I find very miniscule differences between the new bushing and old. As you probably know the new Snipe is partially parted out then john does the final tuning to them etc...(Hey mine still spins for 6.5 minutes) :happy:

I do like Islander reels but the one thing I do when shopping for a new centerpin reel is spin everything I can get my hands on in the store. What I look for is the spool play and trueness of the drum. I would recommend RIBO spin the reels look at them real close as they spin and watch for any slight wobbles in the drum. Their are definite differences in ALL reels.

When alls said and done Ribo they will both bust your knuckles. :) and their both top notch

let us know what you get setup with.

Good luck
Bluesteele

· Registered
1,519 Posts
Shane said:
ribolovac if you want 1 rod for everything and you want a sage I'd definatly say to get a 3113M for your islander. As it will have the length for the longer drifts, it will bend nicely for the steel and hos but at the same time handle the springs and chum with ease. Or you could try finding a 3113MB (brown blank) everyone that I know says they are a bit more noodly(not by much though). I
I totally agree with Shane on this one! I have never broken a sage yet and I definately put them to the test. Of course there are other rods that are good but in my opinion but for me the best are sage. But what is good for me might not be for you. It's all about what works for you and your style of fishing!

Hotrod

· Registered
341 Posts
Chromekiller said:
I bought a sage 3113 m and a Kingfisher bearing best damn investment ever also , bought a Ravern 2 bearing little cheaper than a milner and spin's just as good.
I vote sage
Hey chromekiller I checked out some ravens myself and found the cheap matrix spun like a bugger.Very little play in the spool as well. Just couldnt get over
how thin and tin canny it felt.But for a first pin don't think a guy could go wrong.

BTW your setup sounds HOT!

Bluesteele

· Registered
1,461 Posts
bluesteele said:
Chromekiller said:
I bought a sage 3113 m and a Kingfisher bearing best damn investment ever also , bought a Ravern 2 bearing little cheaper than a milner and spin's just as good.
I vote sage
Hey chromekiller I checked out some ravens myself and found the cheap matrix spun like a bugger.Very little play in the spool as well. Just couldnt get over
how thin and tin canny it felt.But for a first pin don't think a guy could go wrong.

BTW your setup sounds HOT!

Bluesteele
I wonder who told him to get that setup? ::) ::) ::)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.