BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got back from four days campin it out at the vedder would say it was a nice, rewarding trip despite the cold.... Man, did that wind ever make it miserable out there at times!!!!! :lol: Froze, frozen, wind burned ... you name it, but I toughed it out..... First day was the worst wind wise, got there around 10 am, fished in and around thurston and lost about a 12# doe right next to shore, straightened out my hook if you could believe it! Next day fished hard all day touched absolutely nothing untill the last half hour of daylight when I hooked in to two and landed another nice doe in the same spot as the day before...(sorry no pic, way too cold, at least after tailing her...)My old man and my uncle came up as well but were struggling a lot the first couple of days, as they're pretty green and my dad has a slight knee injury...they weren't around to see my first two hook ups.....and were beginning to get a bit discouraged to say the least. My uncle had to leave and my dad was about ready to, but I convinced him to stay another day as he wanted to leave off early and this is how it went....
Friday was by far the best, fished the first half of the day on the move in a different part of the river, beautifull sunny day, great water and less (not much less, but less) windy than the previous day. Not to mention dad's knee was feeling better....Lost one in one pool, snapped my 6# leader, then during the last half of the day came into a pool I hadn't fished in years. There must've been at least 10 holding in there, because over the next two hours I hooked into a total of 7 fish, 4 brought to the beach all wild. I have a pic of my favorite and will post it soon. Dad didn't hook a thing, but you could tell his optimism had peaked now that he was seeing me hit them almost one after the other, and he decided we should stay another day....hah hah hah :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've saved the best for last, saturday morning I armed him with an arsenal of colorado's, roe bags and even a couple of those ugly pink worms (that don't seem to work for me), and wouldn't you know it a few hours in my paps hooks into a beautifull, slightly colored buck about 15 lbs, he played that fish like a whily old vet, while I played the role of nervous onlooker....wow, what a show! :D Well the sad part is, dad lost his fish right next to shore, but it was a great fight and he did very well for his first ever steelie hooked....I think he was just satisfied enough to be hooked on steelheading from here in, and the smile on his face was enough for me!!! He lost another later in the day, and I lost one first thing, and last cast to end off what was in essence a spectacular trip up to the cheddar for the week....I hope all my trips can be as rewarding as this one was... :D
well worth the cold,
rib

·
Registered
31 Posts
sound like you had your fun.. i hit it up today and manage to hook into one but it spat the hook within a second :twisted: damn slow girly hook set lol.. oh well next time..

·
Registered
283 Posts
that sounds like an awesome week fishin.. where is the veder. & i am glad to know ya can camp there. God i need to check this spot out... :shock: sounds crazy

S

·
0 Posts
That is a good trip. Congrat. Have you seen many fish hooked besides your own and how bad was the crowd?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crowds weren't bad through the weekdays, but saturday was tough.... saw 8-10 fish landed besides mine and of all those, only one was hatch.... nice fish though.... :D

·
Banned
279 Posts
schlock said:
that sounds like an awesome week fishin.. where is the veder. & i am glad to know ya can camp there. God i need to check this spot out... :shock: sounds crazy
When you are driving along highway 1 you cross the canal. Go to http://www.fredscustomtackle.com/ and phone them and they will give you good instructions to some of the more popular spots. However do not be dissapointed if you do not get so much as a hit the first few times out as fishing for steelhead can be VERY difficult and frusterating. Look at some of the articles on the site and you will learn a fair amount. Right now the river is low and clear so use the smallest presentations and lightest line possible. My usual line for these condtions is a 2.5 foot leader of 8 pound fluorcarbon baited with a sand shrimp.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
my buddy and i hit the river today........surprisingly not too busy........landed my first hatch of the year but it was first fish of the day and did not want to quit at 9:00 am so released it....released one wild as well........lost one very heavy fish after wild fight.....had one other solid hit......my buddy released one wild....i want to thank whoever left that small container of prawns on the beach.....it yeilded two fish.......much appreciated

S

·
0 Posts
ribwart, your a genuine trooper angler. Wow it must have been freaking cold out there my friend. You must really love fishing. Thanks for the report.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was the one that got my old man hooked on steelies, I think I should have had the camera pointed at him....the look on his face was priceless!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
gorgeous fish RIB

glad to see you got another person hooked on steel

ha ha ha

gotta love the cold weather fishing

see you on the water

HOOK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts