BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of neat - after buying, fixing up and selling old aluminum boats I've finally made enough to purchase from the profits, the ride that I've wanted for flyfishing for some time now.

A welded 1448 with a 30hp 4-stroke, electric start and power tilt/trim.

Wayne at Cascade Marine in Chilliwack set me up with this unit. The motor that Wayne mounted up for me isn't the actual one I'm buying. He's effectively loaning me this motor until my new 2009, 30hp arrives in the next few months. I've paid for it but Wayne will give me full price back once the new motor comes in (provided I don't screw it up). That's pretty damn nice of him in my opinion.

I brought the ride home last night and took it up to Peterhope today. It hauls ass pretty damn good. I wouldn't hesitate to take that unit up the Fraser. I couldn't get over how quiet the ride is a full trottle on a choppy lake. No tinny slapping sound due to the insulation and inner aluminum floor. The motor just hums along as well. Very happy now. :happy:

Fishing was crap as usual for me at Peterhope - time for different lakes.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Very nice! Congrats! I really like the inner floor on that model. That small built in deck on the bow is also great for flush mounted anchor rollers and maybe even a bow mount remote EMO. Very nice! :cheers:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just can't get over how solid the boat feels under me. I weigh about 300-lbs and I can safely walk anywhere around the edge of this boat without the unstable feeling that you get with the v-bottom tin cans.

As for cost - I seriously looked at the rivetted L1448 and the M models. I always thought that it would be so easy to lay a carpet/plywood floor over the ribs. And even with the middle bench seat I fiqured the compromise of not having an open floor would offset the cost of a lined Roughneck. That was until I talked to Wayne. The cost of this boat was less than $200 more than the best price I could find on the rivetted model (other than Wayne's price, of course). It was a no brainer - I went with this Roughneck. The kids also kept commenting on how safe the boat was - at 100-lbs each, the two of them could hardly rock the boat.

My plan is to watch for a decent deck mount electric and I will set up an anchor roller. I did use my little 27# electric for trolling but with a wind/chop there just wasn't enough thrust to keep the boat straight enoung for my liking so we just kept anchoring in different areas.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Nice set-up man, and wayne is a good guy :thumbup: The bow mounted electric are so much nicer for moving around on a windier lake.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Nice boat :thumbup:.

The great thing about aluminum boats is the ability to modify.Check out what I did to mine. It migt give you some ideas.

I have 95% completed the project and will post the pictures soon in the Classifieds.

I would strongly consider removing the slanted floor and putting in a flat checker plate one.
I did this with my 17 foot lund and it was a huge improvement over the slanted slippery floors these boats come with.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shoot Bent Rod, That is one super looking upgrade. Well done. I really like that flat flat checkerplate floor. I think I'm going to Rino Hide mine. No matter how hard I try, I guess I'm just to clumsy and I end up stepping on my flyline. I'm sure I would shread my lines on your floor. But damn you, I'll be constantly thinking about you floor now - I can't get over how nice the floor and the deck upgrade look.

I was really considering moving my fuel tank and battery up front already - now I'm going to measure the clearance and see if there is enough room betwwen the front stringers and my middle deck. If I opened up that area with either a hinged plate or cut out the vertical face like you have for your fuel tank, I think that would be a nice upgrade on my ride.

Thanks for the ideas and messing with my head :happy: . :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
When we cast flylines from the boat we always use a rubbermaid low profile tub(same as a stripping basket really), this avoids those dastardly tangles we ALWAYS used to get.

I bought the checker plate before the market went crazy on metals, but it was still precious.

This boat will be going up for sale in 3 weeks, and its a really dialed fishing machine for rivers and lakes.

Sorry for the Hi jack Rieber and congrats on the purchase, maybe we'll see you on the Fraser this year.

·
Registered
612 Posts
At the very least if you can't afford a new floor, paint the floor with some non-skid paint of matching color...I fished out of a twin to your boat last fall up on our moose trip and darn near took a few headers into the cold water due to the slippery floor...
There would have definately been shrinkage in that near frozen water!! :-X

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.