BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed allot of new people joining this forum , and are pretty new to fishing and are always looking for info and help on certain issues, as the The vedder gets to that time of year with 3 species of Salmon entering the system (Coho,Springs,Chums) All these fish will hit roe very well. with some of the new people wondering what do I do with all this roe. Here is something i put together to help you out, this is just one of my ways of doing roe, it works for me and if you follow it step by step it will work for you as well (Short Floating Roe)

Everyone has there own ways of cureing Roe this is just one that do along with a few other ways, like brines,borax cures etc etc .... There has been some discusion to using metal sheats and pans PLASTIC IS THE BEST but I have never had an issue hooking fish with the way its shown here...

Here is what I do when i retain a fish with Roe inside.

- Cut the gills and bleed the fish, this helps take the blood out of the roe keeping it fresh as possible

- Carefully cut the fish open and remove the eggs gently, try not to get them wet.. (River Water)

- I pack along a ziploc bag with some procure in it and i put the fresh roe in the procure and shake it up to mix it up well (You dont have to do this but the sooner the roe is in cure the better, most of the tim ei just wait till i get home)

My ProCured Roe
Here is my Step by Step Roe Cure, 5 pounds of Fresh Chum Roe (Soft Bait Cure)

Materials Needed

Strainer,Foil Pans,Cooling Trays,Gloves,Scissors you can get at the Dollar store.
Borax and Pro cure wizard red/lava orange

Step 1 - Butterfly Roe Skeins

Place Fresh Roe in Strainer to drain any juice or what is on there
Butterfly your roe, Holding the backside of the skin on your palm of your hand, cut through the
center of the eggs gently without cutting through the skin, this opens up the skein and lay it flat, this
allows the cure to get into all the roe , and helps with drying

Step 2 - Dry Time

Place the Butterfly cut Roe on to cooling racks on foil pan, let air dry for approx.
1 Hour (Personal Preference)
The point of using the cooling racks is it allows air to dry roe from the top and bottom

Step 3 - Jar Your Roe

1 skein per small jar and 2 skeins per large jar, Place 2 Table spoons of cure into small jars
and 3 table spoons into large jar
Give each jar a good shake to make sure the Cure is mixed into the Roe

Step 4 - Fridge
Place jars in the Fridge and set stove timer to 30 minutes after 30 minutes take jars out and give
them a good shake mixing the juice into all the roe, repeat this 30 minute process

for about 1.5 - 2 hours

Step 5 - Remove from fridge

Remove the jars from the fridge and pour the Roe from the jars to the strainer to
drain any excess juices
Give the strainer a good shake to help the juice drain out, place the skeins on the cooling trays and
let dry up to 6-8 hours to desired firmness (Personal preference)
Take your scissors and cut the skeins into strips

Step 6 - Bait size Pieces (Or you can leave them as they are and cut them on the river to desired size you like)

Take the strips of roe and cut into loonie size pieces
and place on newspaper, Put Pieces in fresh borax and store as desired (Freeze in sealable containers)

Step 7 - Finished product

Happy Fishing - Remember Short Floating Roe a foot off the bottom on a short leader will get you a really good day of fishing !!!

:peace:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Thanks FF. a really good presentation and very easy to follow (I know, because I am a dedicated fly fisher and have no idea what to do with roe). In another thread a member mentioned that he "made a mistake and didn't cut up his roe into chunks before Procuring". Is there any reason not to cut it up and then procure?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
professori said:
Thanks FF. a really good presentation and very easy to follow (I know, because I am a dedicated fly fisher and have no idea what to do with roe). In another thread a member mentioned that he "made a mistake and didn't cut up his roe into chunks before Procuring". Is there any reason not to cut it up and then procure?
I guess you could cut it up before hand, I dont see why not its just the way i do it i guess, I do like to keep my skeins full on the river then i can cut the peice to how ever size i like. sometimes they will hit a small peice of roe or a big peice of roe.. Persoanlly I always use a big peice... just something that works for me... anyone can experiment with roe to how ever they like

:peace:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Wicked instructions FF same ones i use (basically) except i cut mine first also to avoid "on the river" messes which i found out from experience. If i ever find my precut peices to big i just cut them again on the flow :cheers:

maybe you wanna share some roe LOL i rather fly fish for my salmon anyhow. its just more fun isnt that right Prof. ?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I will add one more suggestion to the new people trying this... Do not get the dye on anything "Instant stain" I think this cost me my first marrage or maybe it was the time I spent fishing and not at home :confused:... Great job FF... :cheers: sage

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.