BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left Horseshoe Bay on the 27th am on a wild windy ride over to Naniamo. Wow! those winds were strong, rockin the Queen of oak bay like it was a tiny pleasure craft! Arrived at the lodge around noon after all the ferry delays. Had enough time to make some drifts at the gun club before dark, but didnt manage to hook anything. Next mornin we were awokin to the 645am wake up call, and seated to a huge breakfast, coffee, and oj. Our guide showed up at 7 30 and we followed him to the boat. The weather was forcasted for sun and fog, and it was real thick fog that mornin! Started fishin at the confluence and had action on the first cast!! Couldn't believe it! At this rate, it was goin to be a good day! Moved up the Sproat only a few hundred yards and picked off 6 or 7 in 20 min! It was awesome! Bout 11 oclock it seemed to die off , so we went up the stamp and worked the river hard from the bucket down. There was way too much pressure above the bucket, honestly there was alot of shore guys and boats all over the river! We worked that river with some good drifts in all the spots that you would think would hold fish, but not a sniff! We returned to the spots that gave us all the action in the mornin, and nothing! So we didnt end the day on a highnote, but the early am was non stop action!Thats steelheadin for ya! What an amazing day though! To experience fishing off a jet boat, getting over top of the fish, casting in waters i would never think would hold fish, but had our floats goin down!Our guide was very experienced and put into a bunch of fish! We fished the next day on foot, starting at the campground. First cast, i hooked a 8-9 lb wild hen on a colorado blade and that was the only fish of the day! Worked a few seams and pockets until the weather turned real ugly and we make our way back to Naniamo to catch an early ferry. Murphys was an awesome experience and well worth the trip! Cant wait to return!
Tight Lines
James
Vedder next weekend!

·
Registered
225 Posts
out on the stamp on the 31st w/ a buddy of mine. nothing :-\ :( ???. roe, roe bags, gooey's, shrimp, jensen eggs,w/ and w/o white wool. Nothing. no one around us either. bucket to gun club. turned out that wicked spate of fishing 2 weeks ago was a result of the Hatchery RE-releasing 800 fish!!!! my timing is off and it's apparent I suck at steelheading. seems that all the reading, listening and learning is for naught. but..... i still have 40 more years to try and get it right ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I heard they brought 600 summers down from the hatchery and released them not sure about winters does anyone else know anything?? I was up on the 31st also got into one summer at the gun club

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The summers were released about a month ago and the number I believe was 400! With all the high water from tthe heavy rains at that time winters started to come in early and in good numbers too. If you were lucky enough to get there, fishing was good. Now with the river high the winter runs don't like to come in on such high water and if they do come in they shoot through the lower end very quickly and makes for poor fishing.If the this trend continues then winter run steelhead will likely slow unless river levels drop considerably.If we do get some dry weather and the river drops it should be some decent fishing again. That being said you never know with what fish are going to do next!theyy could do exactly the opposite of what I just said. Who knows you may have just had one of those days in between runs and the next day could have been exellant.With a full moon on the horizen it could all change..................................You know classic steelhead guessing!

Hotrod

·
Registered
225 Posts
got it on very good authority( My bud is old friends w/ the gentleman who lives @ the range we sat and talked w/ him a while.) that the re-release was 800.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
HotRod pretty well has it (except for being off in the number of clones run back down to the marina). It was 800 fish that were transported from holding at the hatchery down to the marina to run the gambit again. There were released one day before the first major storm smoked us here in Port. As a consequence of that storm, the water rose many feet VERY quickly! Turned out there was quite a few winter runs poised to enter the system at exactly the same time, and rode that crest right up into the system. As this was during the hunting season, I only got out on it a couple of times. Suffice it to say, the fishing was excellent! Between 3 rods, we landed 51 steelhead in 2 days, and a little better than half were winter runs (of those, about 2/3 were hatchery fish as well). As the water subsided, the fish scattered in the system, and fishing was pretty well decent all over...

Between the recent rains, and the HUGE tides associated with the full moon, the river is running at right near capacity. The steelhead may move in with the tides, but they scatter quickly, and certainly aren't in what one would call "traditional" holding spots. Couple that with the viz being on and off nearly every single day, and she's been a bit of a tougher go the last few.

This has been an unusual year, both in the early arrival of good numbers of winter runs (November??) and storm after storm pounding the area, and delivering a lot of water. Hoping that she settles down a bit now, and allows the river to drop and clear. When that happens, it should be Game On once again!

And I'm right looking forward to that!!

Cheers,
Nog - Housebound with the flu since New Beers :'(

·
Registered
225 Posts
thanks for keeping my spirits bouyed Noggin. At least my lack of success wasn't purely due to ineptitude. ;)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I got a report that fishing is real slow and not missing much!

Hotrod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts