BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a email from crazy drifter this morning and he asked me to post a photo of this fish he found - (so has anyone seen this before or have any idea what it could be?
this is CD's email to me....

I came across this little guy today on cleaning a ditch that was DFO certified to be non fish bearing. This ditch just drains into another series of ditches which dead end in the field. The muck was just disgusting black sludgy stuff, then I notice this guy. I don't know how to post pictures on the forum, i blame the computer illiteracy issue. I have never came accross one of these before so was wondering what it is. As far as the non fish bearing I found a carp that wieght a solid couple pounds once in a ditch that was land locked and had'nt been cleaned for a number of years. I figured if he had survived in there before he should like it better now, so I revived it and put him back in there. But again how did it get in there in the first place?

1105002140.jpg

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Sort of looks like a one of the species of saltwater perch from BC, "striped", "pile" and I think the other may be called a "shiner perch" .....but I don't know if they could survive in freshwater?

Had a friend of mine's 4 yr old son with us in Tofino in early September and we were catching all sorts of 'similar' looking "perch" around the docks at Weight West. Not so sure though with the "yellow" accents on the fins as I didn't pay that close of attention to colour and markings.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Thanks Rick, yeah I think that's the one. Didn't think we had them over here on our side yet. Still curious as to how it got in there in the first place.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Thanks Rick, yeah I think that's the one. Didn't think we had them over here on our side yet. Still curious as to how it got in there in the first place.
Sunfish and BlueGill have been over here for years, Mill Lake is infested with them, along with many others! :(

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yeah I heard they were in Mill lake, maybe it's time for me to start targeting different species than the norm. I just haven't seen them in the Yarrow area, but I guess, "Their Here"

·
Registered
93 Posts
My wife caught one like that but with more yellow in it out at Barrow town a couple weeks ago. Kinda neat to catch somthing different.

·
Registered
911 Posts
That's the part that scares me is that if they are this close, ie the sumas, which all the water on the south side of the vedder drains into eventually. What about some of the extremely sensitive creeks which have small stocks of resident trout in them. Won't these guys and the bass which I have heard being caught recently in the same water, compete and eliminate the resident trout.? Rick, your ruining my image of you, rattling off pictures of all these little buggers in your hand, here I always held you as a elite Mykiss technician, hahah just buggin'

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Rick, your ruining my image of you, rattling off pictures of all these little buggers in your hand, here I always held you as a elite Mykiss technician, hahah just buggin'
They are not pictures of me holding fish, they are google pictures!. It much easier to show what you are talking about when you can produce a picture to go with it!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Crappie inhale fry and gorge themselves as much as possible, bass as well but will attack something up to half it's size... not cool to be seeing them, if caught kill them, both are tasty (especially crappie) but don't belong in BC waters.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts