BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience in the Nahatlach area, thinking of going for a couple of days mid to late
Sept. haven't seen or heard much about it, which seems strange since it's fairly close to lower mainland.
Another lake i saw a sign for last week in the canyon was Blue lake, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gmason

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, I have fished this area more than a few times. I only fish for trout, and find the upper reaches beyond the lakes the best fishing for them. I would not recommend salmon fishing as this system only hosts small runs. There are very specific no fishing zones as well so be careful. I feel this is one of the province's most beautiful systems. The 3 lakes along the river do not offer very good fishing, trust me, I have tried many times.(fishing book reviews will tell you the same) The upper reaches are worth the trip as you will have success with small to mid size trout especially in the hot months.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hey Gmason I agree with fishinfreak The whole Nahatlatch area is BEAUTIFUL!!! I have fished the whole system hard from the mouth of the river through
the lakes and the upper river. I would tend to agree that the upper holds some better trout areas but it is harder to fish as its a little less accessible as well its
a totally different river than the lower. Upper is great to float!

The lower river holds some hard fighting native bows as well as some beauty steelies. Salmon runs are small and you need a bit of luck to time then.
I would recommend staying at riversedgecabins rustic cabins right on the river their great! Check out http://www.riversedgecabins.com/
Email Barb from her website and she may help you on whats biting.

Good luck,
Bluesteele

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey guys,
How busy does it get up there in the Nahatlatch area this time of year? Those look like some sweet cabins also. Think i might have to rent me one and kick back with some "soda pops".
All the best.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
others have done a fine job describing the Nahatlach so I will give a few words on Blue. It is a beautifully family destination with great fishing for small coastal sized bows. There is a nice resort there and when I was last there 5yrs ago the host were great people.

Great place to take the kids fishing or for a weekend family trip I would say.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Brookie said:
Hey guys,
How busy does it get up there in the Nahatlatch area this time of year? Those look like some sweet cabins also. Think i might have to rent me one and kick back with some "soda pops".
All the best.
Hey Brookie it doesnt get too busy up their. The cabins are usually booked for weekends a ways in advance though but generally during the week they are available on
short notice at least in my experience. Yeah they are a great spot for hanging out on the river and drinking some sodas :beerchug:

Bluesteele

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great stuff , I am going up in late Sept. will check out Riversedge and Blue lake. i think either would be a good base camp then you could check out the area. Good points about the kids barskull & Pat AV they can go to Blue with me next time. this trip i will investigate. Can I get to the upper with the wife's escape it's a so called 4x4.

Thanks everyone
gmason

·
Registered
36 Posts
i was up in this area 3rd week of August last year (2007)... for a RAFTING trip @ REO. O0 WOOT WOOT.
http://www.reorafting.com/site/club_reo_vacations.html GOOD TIMES.

Camped up stream (past REO, but well before the lakes) @ the Forestry site... nice & quiet.....where there's a nice bend in the river... with a slower moving pool... where a family (3 generations) were fishing for trout ALL WEEKEND. i don't know how many they caught... but i did see them pull in a couple.

Easy access, quite beautiful, AND nice & quiet.

I'm heading back... again... Can't wait!

·
Registered
355 Posts
The lower river does have some nasty rapids but as far kids around the banks its like any other river. Most of the good rapids are in the very lower river
through the canyon and nearer the mouth. Their are some goos ones upstream awyas too but for the most part no worries.

The upper is accessible gmason a beautiful drive. The whole nahatlatch road is a bumpy one full of potholes definatley not a hwy like ross lk road. :happy:

I think people have hard time fishing this system as their is alot to it. River joining lakes inflows outflows more lakes etc... But definately fish. rainbows,
bulltrout(dollies),springs,cohos,pinks and steelhead winter and summer. Their is a reason why an in season change opened up the river when it is generally
closed. :confused:

Leave it up to you guys to explore!
Bluesteele

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ive both kayaked and rafted through the canyon... it is very treacherous through that section which starts at the Reo rafting resort down.... Reo also rents tent and cabins at river level. I have fished the canyon for trout as well and they are quite small in there, but nice little fish. The section of the river from the lake down can also be pretty consistent whitewater but in mid Sept when you are planning to go it should be very low... some nice pocket water in there. I would head to the upper past the lakes as well for the fishing. If you do want to save $ the camping is great along the river.... forestry sites and lots of them.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I was up there a couple of weeks ago. props to the jamie @ reo...that was one helluva trip....those class 5 rapids in the canyon were a hoot. A friend of mine managed a 22" dolly out of nahatlach lake and we did alright with sockeye roe where the river comes in. The river has very little access but I had a small jet boat (inflatable with a 25 jet) so we cruised up past a couple of bridges before the water ran out but definilty a good float down. I wish I had more time because some of that water looked great! We his some med sized bows mostly on roe....but one or two on flies. There seemed to be a decent amount of caddis especially for a glacier river, but not a lot of hatches...but again not enough time spent to really fish...to busy with the buddy's stag!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.