BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little advice, I may a have a few mornings and evenings free over the next few days and would like to try some beach fishing around the Nanaimo/Qualicum area. First off, is there anything to be had this time of year? Secondly I have an 8 wieght rigged for saltwater will that be sufficient? And last question, any suggestions where to start, don't have to divulge your secrets just point a lost angler in the right direction.

Thanks,
Gran

·
Registered
233 Posts
I dont have too much experience in Beach Fishing for salmon yet as this is my first year. however my research made me aware that you can catch pinks off of the beach at departure bay across from the ferry terminal. I dont think they are there yet but check with the local fishing stores.

Or drive 45min north and try Nile Creek (between qualicum bay and Bowser). There are some fish in that area.

An 8wt is waht I use with either a floating line or 15ft clear intermediate sink tip.

Good Luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think the pinks are a little late this year, although it would be worth calling some of the local fly shops. You may even want to consider driving towards Campbell River. The Nile Creek Fly shop has somewhat regular updates on their website, at www.nilecreekflyshop.com. Let me know if you find any pinks as I'm heading up this weekend.
Gman

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi again, I thought I'd have a quick look at the reports myself, here's how it reads from NileCreek....

August 12...
To my uneasy surprise there have been good numbers of Pink Salmon to the West of Nile Creek all the way to Bowser and into Bucanneer Bay...this should mean that fishing will improve dramatically over the next few days...again the Pink Fuzzy has been the "FLY" of late...these fish are very active and willing biters...Have fun

Hope this helps
Gman

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys, I know where I will be heading this weekend then. I did some pink fishing in late sept in departure bay. Plenty of fish but they didn't like what I was offering. Frustrating as you could see them rolling 20 feet from where I was standing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.