BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I posted this yesterday but I can't find it so here goes again. Have some friends from Ontario who would like to salmon fish. Only have enough time to fish the Nanaimo area from Silva Bay to French Creek. Any ideas where there might be fish?

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I hit a small spring and a pink in 200 feet of water off the mouth of French Creek. There are a few around but it's hit and miss right now. I heard of a few caught on the northside of Gerald Island in Parksville.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Bon Chovy Fishing Report, June 29

June saw some great action! Gabriola Island was a great producer for chinooks up to 30 pounds! We had a quite few trips during the middle of the month where we hooked between 10 and 15 chinooks....fantastic action! It has slowed down over the last week, but it likely won't be long before another solid wave of chinook salmon roll in. Best depths have been between 100-200 feet. Look for bait and the salmon will likely be around it. Thrasher, the Grande, and Whalebone are all good bets. Splatterback hootchies, coyote spoons, and anchovies have all been working.

maybe give bon chovy a PM to see if they have been this side lately

·
Registered
770 Posts
Better yet, book a charter with those guys!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will be headed over that way this weekend. Don't know how much fishing i will be doing but i am sure to talk to a few guys around. When are you heading out?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We tried to get out today but it was a little to choppy for them so we set a couple of crab traps on the inside and spent 3 hours just sightseeing on the inside of Gabriola, which they enjoyed. Ended up with numerous good size crabs and lots of smaller ones, total of 30 in 3 hours. We took a few home and had a great feast.
Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You have to pick your days out in the Strait and take a chance that the weather will let you fish. One thing I find helpful is the wind forecast at http://www.bigwavedave.ca/forecasts.php . Today it got up to NW 15 at pipers lagoon and that is pretty borderline for me in my boat. Take a look at tomorrows forecast and you will be glad you went today for sure. Sounds like a good crab feast tonight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts