BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was from todays globe and mail. Pretty sad.

Natives promise to defy ban on sockeye fishing
PATRICK BRETHOUR

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

August 18, 2007 at 2:11 AM EDT

VANCOUVER — Native fishermen are vowing to head out onto the lower Fraser River this weekend to fish for sockeye salmon – defying a federal ban – in part to protest against the continuing recreational fishery.

“A few of the bands have said they're going to go out fishing,” said Ernie Crey, fisheries adviser for the Sto:lo bands in the eastern Fraser Valley. His own band, the Cheam, is considering joining that action.

The Sto:lo are angry, he said, that the Department of Fisheries and Oceans will not allow them or other bands along the Lower Fraser to fish for sockeye, but will allow anglers to ply the river until Monday. Although those recreational fishermen are not permitted to catch sockeye, the Sto:lo say that happens anyway.

“It's now common knowledge that they're killing and keeping sockeye,” Mr. Crey said.

So, today or tomorrow, according to Mr. Crey, natives in fishing boats will cast nets into the Fraser, partly as a gesture of protest and partly as a way to stock their freezers for the winter.

DFO is declining to say exactly how it will respond to such a move. “We'll monitor that situation, and depending on the circumstances, we'll take appropriate action,” said Paul Ryall, head of the department's salmon team.

However, B.C. Conservative MP John Cummins, an outspoken critic of federal fisheries policy, said he believes that fisheries officials will not intervene – even though they should – to protect the sockeye stocks. “They can't tolerate this sort of behaviour,” he said. “But by past performance, [intervention] hasn't happened.”

At the root of the dispute is a stunning collapse in the size of this year's runs of sockeye on the Fraser, and the resulting plummet in the size of the allowable catch. No one is certain why the population has declined so much, but the warm oceans of four years ago are thought to have reduced food sources and increased predators. As a result, there will be no commercial fishery for sockeye this year, and aboriginal bands that last year harvested close to a million fish will be limited to just 180,000. Already, 100,000 fish have been caught, with DFO deciding late Thursday to open fisheries only upstream of Sawmill Creek, north of Hope, and then only until tomorrow evening.

The recreational fishery will remain open until midnight tomorrow. Although the Sto:lo and other native bands are upset that it will not be closed sooner, the DFO's Mr. Ryall said an immediate closing is impractical, and that the department typically tries to give 48-hour notice. A decision was made late Thursday, and a formal notice given Friday morning, with the fishery closing more than 60 hours later.

Donald Sam, fisheries co-ordinator for the Nlaka'Pamux, said he could not say what the effect of unauthorized fishing downstream would be on his bands' legal fishing efforts. But he said the Nlaka'Pamux plan to comply with DFO directives.

Mr. Ryall said there will be a relatively small number of fish caught legally in the Upper Fraser this weekend, around 3,000 sockeye.

What will happen on the Lower Fraser with illegal boats and nets is unclear. Mr. Crey said he's not sure how many native fishermen will head out this weekend. But he is certain that the tide of anger toward the DFO is rising. “The whole community along the lower river is in turmoil right now.”

·
Registered
736 Posts
Wow... I will save my comments on this except to say how many of you have seen Sockeye caught on the Lower Fraser? Ernie Cray seems to think that this is an easy thing to do. I for one have never seen a sockeye caught on the lower.

Or, is he (Ernie Cray) along with other bands using what "may" be happening further up the Fraser this weekend as a reason for fishing the lower? :-[

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ernie Crey lives at the Agassiz bridge.....
Funny how he can make inflamatory ,unfounded statements that get listened to , picking numbers out of the sky or other celestial places and people listen to him as if he has all the answers....
And he has the nerve to slam the sporties......
Don't see Sto-lo's fishing with single barbless rods taking one fish at a time ....
Ernie bud, wake up and smell the wilting roses ,its the nets....Thats N E T S !!!

Illegally netting = go to jail....Numbers are already at extremely low numbers and people are still considering netting,,,,,now that makes sense,,NOT!!

·
Banned
99 Posts
Or, is he (Ernie Cray) along with other bands using what "may" be happening further up the Fraser this weekend as a reason for fishing the lower?

I believe Ernie Crey is using what IS happening further up the Fraser as a reason, I could be wrong though, flossers don't intercept any sockeye whatsover during requests by DFO to use selective methods, just springs

·
Registered
736 Posts
fish guardian said:
Or, is he (Ernie Cray) along with other bands using what "may" be happening further up the Fraser this weekend as a reason for fishing the lower?

I believe Ernie Crey is using what IS happening further up the Fraser as a reason, I could be wrong though, flossers don't intercept any sockeye whatsover during requests by DFO to use selective methods, just springs
But at this point the rec guys aren't fishing illegally. Who knows what will happen come monday. But let's not turn this into another flossing debate, I think we may have had our fill of those this year... :wallbash:

·
Registered
88 Posts
abbyfireguy said:
Ernie Cray lives at the Agassiz bridge.....
Funny how he can make inflamatory ,unfounded statements that get listened to , picking numbers out of the sky or other celestial places and people listen to him as if he has all the answers....
And he has the nerve to slam the sporties......
Don't see Sto-lo's fishing with single barbless rods taking one fish at a time ....
Ernie bud, wake up and smell the wilting roses ,its the nets....Thats N E T S !!!

Illegally netting = go to jail....Numbers are already at extremely low numbers and people are still considering netting,,,,,now that makes sense,,NOT!!
I might be wrong but wasn't Mr. crey the one that once said non native sport fishers had acid in their skin that kills released fish.I know that this year he said that natives need sockey for the protein to get through winter.Are pinks not good enough protein Mr. crey?!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
the number of frazer river sockeye taken to date by FN fishers is not 18,000
as reported it is 62,000 as quoted by Fisheries and Oceans Canada at a meeting aug 13/07. of those 32,000 were caught during an opening the prior weekend.
it is interesting to note that these catches were allowed for food and ceremonial purposes. one must question what ceremony warrants selling these fish to the public.
the story says that sto:lo fisheries advisor Ernie Crey expressed concerns that sport fishers targeting springs are intercepting sockeye.
readers should be aware that with current favourable temps and water levels, the mortality in releasing sockeye caught incidentaly is probably no more than 5%.
past documented studies on c & r support these numbers. DFO surveys estimates the number of anglers fishing for springs this past weekend at 300.
if each of these anglers hooked one sockeye, the mortality rate would be no more than 15 fish.
this number is inconsequential compared the 62,000 fish taken by FN. the impact of the sports fishery is minimal on stocks, while the financial benefit to the local economy is in the many millions of dollars.
the sport fishers are responsible stewards, as indicated by the recent and ongoing campaign within the sports fishing community to get anglers to fish for
spring salmon, with methods designed to avoid sockeye.
it would be prudent to get the opinions of the sport fishing community in any future articles related to fisheries to ensure all pertinent info is obtained.
our organization or others in the area would be pleased to provide such inforamtion.

Rod Clapton, president BC federation of Drift Fishers

editors note"the number of sockeye caught as quoted by Mr Clapton is correct. that number was not available to the reporter at the time the story was written. he has since been told that the cummulative total taken by FN is reported at 42,000 and that 20,000 more have been taken offshore

i found this to be a very interesting read as i am sure others will as well nocoho

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think game theory is to blame. Each side wants the blond and believe that if they don't go after her they will have there turn taken. If you don't take your entitled amout you've lost the game. Maybe just maybe the gov. is giving the comerial (first year they not broken the ban), sport, certian native point for having participated, while making a better more arguable case why those that don't submite should be punished. Oh yeah, I was only hoping. But I do still believe game theory is to blame... mostly for a movie that doesn't have Rusell Crow killing people.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
98 Posts
of course Ernie wants them to fish hes not stupid he wants this whole native fishery issue in the courts why do you think DFO sits idly by and watches, this is not the states we never conquered the natives here excepted with booze ,they have now sobered up and the government knows it

·
Registered
612 Posts
Please don't let this degrade into a blanket bashing of FN thread....
I have many wonderful FN friends who I enjoy talking with and sharing experiences not just fishing but hunting up north with...
Those that are truley environmentally sensitive have my respect and friendship.Those that hunt and fish on their own agenda and with such thick blinders that they either don't see declining numbers of fish and/or game stocks have less than a respectful place in my mind and thoughts..
Mind you, anyone ,no matter their ethnicity, who harvests any resource to its extreme detriment and against regulatory mangement/or mismanagement attempts, are looked at by myself through very jaundiced eyes...
Outdoor activities are about experiences that in my view are good with or without freezer fulls of moose or sockeye....They are just a bonus if you bring them home for family consumption but not the end all to any outdoor adventure in my books...
I know I will probably get flamed by those here who live and breath on a full freezer and are bummed out if they don't kill something on every outing,but, come on folks....If the only reason you are fishing is for meat,maybe you should slow down and enjoy the opportunity of being outdoors and take some time to actually enjoy the pursuit... :thumbup:

·
Registered
911 Posts
That's Ernie for you. It is strange how he always comments on the need for sockeye for the survival of his band over the winter ahead. I would think that would apply more to some of the interior bands than the mainland bands. It is stange that while bands in the canyon can continue to fish selectively he is upset he cant, so I'll defy requests from the dfo and send out the nets. Before you make any assumptions about him, take into account he is a very wise and educated man in regards to govt policies and how to achive the best result for himself and all F/N concerned. If it goes to the courts it only brings more attention to himself and his band. I would wish the recreational sector would have someone to speak up for our rights and use the constitution to protect our rights. Dont forget though in this battle on the water that it is not all F/N as a group but a select group that seems to always show defiance when the cards dont go thier way. I find it strange that dfo is closing the river to everyone involved , yet we have been getting slammed in the paper for participating inillegal fishing. Thats the power of the media for you. Could'nt agree with you more Abby as I am in the same boat.
Crazy D

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Very informative nocoho..! The FN's people defying a ban certainly is a legal issue that keeps
the topic in and ties up our courts. Untill the matter is address in a definitiv manner or an agreement
is reached,atleast by a moral majority, the topic will rage for years to come...
:beerchug: Marko

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.