BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...

As anyone who read some of my inquiries last fall would know......I am a newb to fly fishing.

Still looking for a set up (last fall's hunt went on a 'bit' of a hiatus) primarily for salt but one that would be able to flip flop back and forth.

A buddy recommended if I had the $$$ to spend to go with a Nautilus FW 7 reel? I know through my inquires last fall that I definitely want a 7-9wt reel to handle coho, possibly some springs out on the chuck.

I have been looking through their website and unsure if the Featherweight Plus or the CCF would be a better way to go?

Any advice from your "pros"???

http://www.nautilusreels.com/reels/ccf

http://www.nautilusreels.com/reels/fwplus

·
Registered
183 Posts
From what I've seen (looking for a similiar setup for the chuck so I've been doing my research also), the Ccf looks like a big game reel, build more towards shorter casts due to the larger weight and its sizes are quite large (10wt+) so they would probably be heavier. The feather weight would be my choice due to the lighter weight and if your to be fishing the chuck you'll be casting a lot and the lighter weight will be nicer on the arms. But if you plan on making trips to Alaska to catch those 60 pound chinook then a light and smaller wieght reel is nicer, if dont have to compromise on line capacity. Hope that helps

Clayton

·
Registered
784 Posts
You may already have your mind set but it might be worth taking a look at Hatch reels maybe a Hatch 7 or 9. I have nothing but good things to say about these reels and they have survived a few trips where I have been less than kind. I owned a few nautilus reels (before all my gear was stolen) and found they performed very well I just prefer hatch. If you are looking for a setup for your upcoming trip, I have a few that you could try out and then make your decision after. Let me know.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may already have your mind set but it might be worth taking a look at Hatch reels maybe a Hatch 7 or 9. I have nothing but good things to say about these reels and they have survived a few trips where I have been less than kind. I owned a few nautilus reels (before all my gear was stolen) and found they performed very well I just prefer hatch. If you are looking for a setup for your upcoming trip, I have a few that you could try out and then make your decision after. Let me know.
Now that right there is why this forum is awesome!! :thumbup: :cheers: :peace:

Sarg.....I had a look at the Hatch website and they do look very nice!! I just may take you up on the offer!! Having dinner with my cohorts tonight and will get the low-down.

Are your setups a right or left hand retrieve?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I cast with my right and hate having to switch hands just in case the big one hits right away :) . Needless to say they are left hand retrieve. Let me know what you would like to try, I have a few options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts