BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check it out guys, they made Navionics chart for your Iphone (if you didn't already know) only $10! I read the reviews and so far they are all great. Apparently the only downside to it over a chartplotter is in the waypoints/charting ability, otherwise they say that the clarity and accuracy is almost if not equal to the GPS/chartplotters.

I would definitely like to hear from somebody first hand, might have finally found a reason to get an Iphone!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've got the iPhone Navionics maps for Canadian lakes, BC saltwater and Caribbean saltwater. I posted a previous review a year or so ago, but I can't find it for some reason.

I've used the lake maps the most. The accuracy is not too bad, but no substitute for sonar if you're trying to get your chironomid within a couple feet of the bottom. It gives you a reasonable idea of depths and bottom contours so you can identify areas to fish.

The app does support limited features for waypoints and will record your tracks. You can also record positions and even attach photos to them.

Overall, they are definitely worth the price if you've got an iPhone.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Its a gadget like most other apps. I have used it a few times and mostly to impress my fishing buddies and for 10 bucks its good entertainment but I would not trust it for serious navigation purposes. Most of the lakes that are available are the more popular ones that everyone knows anyways. I think it might be more useful in the salt on the coast. I wonder if the new 4G Iphone will improve its features.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like the iPhone App because it's integrated with the Internet and allows you to click on real time information and web links to objects, bouys and other cool stuff. It's good for getting contact numbers and things my onboard Navionics does not.

It's not accurate, but it's a cool novelty. I use Google Earth far more often on the boat. They work well together

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I use navionics for the iPad... Spectacular! I haven't noticed any difference in accuracy, and the screen is huge! You could buy the top of the line iPad $800, plus the HD Navionics app for $25 and still be half as much as a dedicated chartplotter with a screen half as big.

Of course you don't want to get the iPad wet...

·
Registered
413 Posts
I bought the app for my 4g Iphone $24.99. It's not as accurate as my lowrance on positioning or speed, but good to have as a novelty and back up.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I use navionics for the iPad... Spectacular! I haven't noticed any difference in accuracy, and the screen is huge! You could buy the top of the line iPad $800, plus the HD Navionics app for $25 and still be half as much as a dedicated chartplotter with a screen half as big.

Of course you don't want to get the iPad wet...
Yup....the buddy I was fishing with has it on his IPad. I played with a bit late last season.....and was checking it out this past weekend and it's pretty good.

Not that I need one for WCVI but apparently if you have the 3G model it has the chip/card in it that will still give your position etc even if there is no cell reception like in Kyuquot.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yup....the buddy I was fishing with has it on his IPad. I played with a bit late last season.....and was checking it out this past weekend and it's pretty good.

Not that I need one for WCVI but apparently if you have the 3G model it has the chip/card in it that will still give your position etc even if there is no cell reception like in Kyuquot.
Yes, it works perfectly well with zero cell reception, I have no idea how, but it worked fine for me up in Tofino.

·
Registered
323 Posts
tablet pc's are going to kill the dedicated chartplotter, fish finder, and sounder. That day is coming within the next 5 years.
I've given this a little bit of thought the last two years (been running navionics software for a year) and Investigating different informational and entertainment marine set ups

what I'd love is to be able to use my fishfinder to play a movie/listen to music/scan the bottom/ act like a fish finder.

The problem with marine electronics is that there are way too many standards like NEMA 0183, NEMA 2000, RJ45,RAYMARINE'S seatalk, etc...
In a perfect world, i'd have a 10 inch LED display on my boat, which would indicate speed over ground, location, weather updates. and bottom, while providing a touch interface that controls music utilitzing whatever sensors i want. The unit would be easily removable from the vessel.

All sensors by all engine makers, sonar, radar, transducer manufactors need to be compatible and able to talk to any display. made by different manufactors using the same interface. I dont want a raymarine display (which i have)and a raymarine sounder/fishfinder.(which i have, but would prefer something else) and be forced into a situation where if i want maps i'm locked into running only navionics maps. I should be able to be free to choose my own maps (like a garmin g2 vision chart). Integrate with a radar,

What i want is a display that can tell me rpm, fuel level, fuel consumption rate, speed, depth location, and control music and volume on board.
8)

Yeah i have navionics on my phone. it's a great app. But imagine where even your iphone/blackberry could read gps and be a fish finder :)
The device is so smart that it could probably record track information and a log of the sounder, take a photo with the iphone and you have all the information recorded into the photo. Kinda like motion-x but with fish finding capabilties

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Yes, it works perfectly well with zero cell reception, I have no idea how, but it worked fine for me up in Tofino.
Where were you losing reception in Tofino? I get reception on my TELUS phone everywhere over there as soon as I am passing Kennedy Lake to about 8ish miles offshore???

·
Registered
219 Posts
I believe the Lowrance can be hooked up to Sirius Satellite, not sure if you can rock out with your mp3's on it or not. There must be a input for one though as that's how Sirius would be connected.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think theres a new add on unit to hook up HDS to your ipod. the cost and size of the unit tells me to keep a radio separate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My IPad is an essential part of my fishing trips. I have a permanent mount on my dash, I use the the iPod function for music, I have a weather App, I have Navionics which works great for both position and speed (I have a Garmix e-trex legend as a backup), I have the fishing regs as a .pdf (as well as a spare copy of my licence) and I could probably use it for much more......(I also find it usefull off the boat too).

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My IPad is an essential part of my fishing trips. I have a permanent mount on my dash, I use the the iPod function for music, I have a weather App, I have Navionics which works great for both position and speed (I have a Garmix e-trex legend as a backup), I have the fishing regs as a .pdf (as well as a spare copy of my licence) and I could probably use it for much more......(I also find it usefull off the boat too).
How do you get sufficient power to your iPad to run it?

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
You could just plug it into the lighter or use a converter. My question is, the salt must not be good for the IPad, how do you keep it protected from the elements and how do you mount it?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You could just plug it into the lighter or use a converter. My question is, the salt must not be good for the IPad, how do you keep it protected from the elements and how do you mount it?
The iPad can't be charged by a 12v source unless it's turned off... One of the real issues I have with it. You can't even plug it into your computer USB port and charge it... You require a powered USB port...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts