BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Steelhead season is almost here.....I wish!

Before it does finally come I would like to get a new rod built! I’m looking into who is the preferred builder our there, any suggestions? I would really like to hear from those that have gone through the process and hear what they liked and didn't like and what they would have changed if they were to do it again!

My last and only rod that I had built was not a pleasant experience. The guy was a jerk and he built it his way and I hated it from the day I got it. I now know what I want and how I want it, I just don’t know who can build it so that I’m happy. I’m looking for the Bill Bowerman of building rods. If you can help please let me know.

Cohopk

· Registered
124 Posts
PM me and I will give you a guys name. As long as you dont mind a wait.

I started building rods this year myself. In the past I couldnt find someone that would build it the way "I" wanted it built, and they would also add THEIR own touch....this just pissed me off. I looked for someone in BC a couple months back and the wait was WAY tooooooo long. So I decided to do it myself.

What do you want built? What is your budget? There are a pile of excellent components out there today for custom rods.

· Registered
940 Posts
I was hoping that someone could offer their input here regarding building your own rod or having one built.

I have built my own rods before and it is a truly gratifying experience. I began to wonder though, if and when one of my self-made rods break, what the costs will be to repair or replace them. The time, materials, frustration...etc, what are the real benefits? Knowing what the materials cost, how does one justify having someone make a rod for them and if they have a problem with it, getting it warrantied? You will be out your original investment plus now the cost of repair.

I guess even though I have made my own and enjoyed doing it, are there really any benefits other than personal satisfaction that "I did it!"???

That being said, I am still thinking of building another one, but I can't figure out why.

· Registered
209 Posts
Terry at Reaction Bait built my buddy's rod and did an awesome job. A fishing buddy of mine built my last two. I don't think he's registered here but is on a few other sites. PM for his name. Brian at Westcoast is also a reputable builder that another friend used and he did a great job too. Most of the tackle stores offer this service but some are better than others.

· Registered
77 Posts
I let to say I have many Sage, G.Loomis, Lamiglas fly and drift rods builded by Brain Ford from West Coast Tackle. He is very good rod builder and builded the fancy custom design the way you like it. :thumbup:

Hub's Sport in Abbotsford has a custom builded rod builder too.

Silex-user.

· Registered
147 Posts
I had Brian Babcock build 2 of mine. I didn't really get what I wanted ie. handle was longer than I requested and was not finished to fit my larger hands. Nice rods but I wasn't 100% happy.
Living in Burnaby at the time, 2 blocks from the Library, I read every book about rod building and made my own wrapping jig, lathe and epoxy turning station. That was before the internet!! It is very gratifying but does take time. I have broken a few of them (all Sage's) and you just have to rebuild them at your cost. (time and materials)
With the internet and the information available today, I suggest to everyone.... try building it yourself!! :beerchug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.