BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father is an avid fisherman from waaaaay back but due to him being chair-bound since '94 he hasn't fished since. Since my brother and I have been more actively fishing lately, he is getting the urge again. I would love to take him to the river somewhere and let him give it a try. Can anyone give me an idea if two-bit bar or other hard sandy beach areas of the fraser are fishable or would i be wasting my time looking for a coho etc there right now? Is there anyspot on the vedder that maybe somewhat accessible for a wheelchair?

If there is a decent spot and you don't want to publically share it, just pm me with the details. I would greatly appreciate it.

Long shot, is there any guide boats around that are wheel chair friendly?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Iv seen guys fishing off the bridges this year in Chilliwack, give it a shot, but you got the net job buddy. Fishing from the dikes is as close as youll get to a wheelchair accessable spot. Unless you got a boat which can get you up past the highway bridge with the higher water

·
Registered
42 Posts
On the Chehalis in by the campground there is a gate which has been specifically placed there for wheelchair access.

With the right key (contact person may be Chehalis Camp host??) you can open the gate and take a vehicle down to the river bank at the Easter Seal Run.

Now, there are a few variables to consider. The river has had a few high water wash-outs through the area over the years, so the quality of the road down is unknown. Also, the easter seal run has changed quite a bit. I have not seen it lately, but I am told it is more of a long run now that is shallower than it used to be.

The fish do need to go by this area, so it may be a good area to look into.

Dano

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Not a real answer to your question in the lower mainland, but the freshwater fisheries society has built a wheelchair accessible wharf at Lac LaJuene.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also consider the Coquitlam :eek: There is a paved path that runs along the river and mini trails that branch off. The trails along the river are "4x4" access (in a wheelchair) but you could find a few spots to fish with a little pushing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I honestly didn't expect this kind of response. Thank you.

Where abouts it the "toilet bowl" area on the stave? I will look up a few of the rest as best i can. With my brothers help, hopefully we can get him back fishing now and then. :thumbup:

·
Registered
177 Posts
newfishguy said:
I honestly didn't expect this kind of response. Thank you.

Where abouts it the "toilet bowl" area on the stave? I will look up a few of the rest as best i can. With my brothers help, hopefully we can get him back fishing now and then. :thumbup:
The toilet bowl is at Ruskin....simply park & wheel down...should be perfect timing too. ;D

My girlfriends son is also in a wheelchair (spina bifida) he loves the Stave. Herrling Island is another favorite spot as you can drive right to the beach & fish without any 'wheelin....not sure if it's open right now though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is a spot on the vedder above the railway bridge where you could get pops close to the water. You would have to help with the chair thru the gravel but its a spot where he would have a good chance of getting into a fish!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bonanza said:
There is a spot on the vedder above the railway bridge where you could get pops close to the water. You would have to help with the chair thru the gravel but its a spot where he would have a good chance of getting into a fish!
I know the spot you are talking about.

·
Registered
304 Posts
wagonmaster said:
not sure if you can get a chair onto brownsville bar under the pattullo bridge but you get right to the water and coho are being caught there right now :thumbup:
Good recomendation WM, shouldn't be a problem with access.

Good luck to you and your father Newfishguy. :beerchug:

Cheers,

B.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Contact the paraplegic assn in Vancouver. They will have a list of accesible sites ,for all wheelchair users. If that fails contact the Rick Hansen foundation and send Rick an email.He is an avid fisher and I am confident he will answer your question personally if you can scratch up a contact for him.
The MS society, Muscular Dystrophy Assn. as well as the Spina Bifida Assn. may also be worth contacting. They all have members that fish!!.....Ortho 8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.