BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was thinking of getting a small set up for the Skagit as my 8wt often overpowers the smaller sized rainbows. Well currently after some research the 2 rods i was planning on getting was the Gloomis crosscurrent GLX 5 wt or the sage z axis 590 5 wt. I also noticed that sage came out with a new model, the zxl but haven't heard anything about that yet.

The reels i was looking at was the Ross Evolution or the Abel Super 5. I know the prices of the 2 are quite different but I wasn't exactly sure how they compare as I have heard a lot of good things about the Ross Evolution. Another reel that i heard about was the Galvan Torque in comparison with the Ross Evolution due to its similar lightweight and durability.

I just wanted to see what the pros out there think before I make a solid choice. Thanks

·
Registered
784 Posts
Both of those rods are nice. It really depends on which one casts better for you. My favourite rod to cast right now would be my 6wt Scot G2. As far as reels go…Ross makes a nice reel at a pretty good price. I have fished lots of different types of reels but now I only fish Bauer’s. They are a little pricey but well worth every penny and the drag is one of the best on the market in my opinion. If you are using the reel for a lighter weight application and not in saltwater you can always save a little money. In most cases it is just holding the fly line (lighter weight apps like the skagit).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If your buying this rod for only the Skagit then a 3 or 4 weight is probably better I have heard. If you are going to use it for other specied such as pinks or larger rainbows, 5 wt. will be the most versatile.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Like it was said, you could go lighter, a 3wt would be nice. but if you would just like a lighter rod for all round use then you've got some pricey toys picked out. Once you get into the higher end rods, $600 and up. Then you really have to cast them and decide for yourself what you like. The loomis is nice, I like the Z-axis more, both those rods are in the opposite range of the zxl. What sort of rod do you want? fast-crisp, soft-presentation, something in the middle? For the skagit smaller rods can be nice, it just depends on what you want it to do. With the SLT being D/C you might be able to find one at a discount. For the reels, I'm not loving Newer Ross line up, and would rather have something from abel. But again the most times I just strip fish in, so a reel is just for line storage and show. :cheers:

For myself in those ranges for casting Winston BIIx, for presentation Sage SLT, for the best compromise Scott G2.

I should add, there a alot of rods that will do most folks just fine that won't break the bank like these ones, echo makes some real nice 4piece rods you would pick up a 3wt a 5wt and still have enough left over for reels for them both. and for the price of that Abel you could buy lines and have enough left over for some gas in the truck :thumbup:

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, when i first started out fly fishing i got an echo 8 wt and eventually moved to the sage z axis 896 with a Loop Opti Runner reel. That combo has done great things for me so far. I was just looking to get a lighter weight rod around a 5wt for small sized to medium sized trouts. I'm guesing since the zxl is a medium action rod its flexability is somewhat similar to the echo.

So in general are you guys saying that the Ross Evolution isn't that great? From some reviews that i've read and heard from some people, the evolution is one of the better lightweight reels. And yeah if i got the evolution instead of the abel super 5 i would save tons of money lol.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
A 5 wt is a very nice rod for interior lakes and larger rivers (Thompson, Horsefly, Stellako, Blackwater, etc.). I fish the Skagit with a 3 wt for the most part and occasionally with a 4 wt. If you are only using the rod for the Skagit that would be my choice, but if you are buying a multi-purpose lighter rod, i would proabablygo with a 5 wt. As for a reel, unless you really want top spend money for bling, you can do very well with something like the Dragonfly Kamloops reel for around $60. On a light rig you are not likely to be battling fish from the reel, so you tend to spend a lot of money for flash and bling when the cheaper "line storage units" are just as serviceable (and if they fail after a couple of seasons, you can buy 2 more and still pay less than you would for the bling.

·
Registered
694 Posts
If you want rods for the skagit and trout on lakes, I would split the weight groups up and think down the road. You can always sell a rod that you'r not completly satisfied with, but to get new lines, and reels becaus you decide to switch rod weight that gets pricey.

You have an 8wt, a 5wt or 6wt would handle medium to bigger trout in all interior lakes and could do pinks and bull/dollie duty, depending on the water. If you want to fish the skagit or smaller waters, then you could also go with a smaller 3-4wt. the deciding factor will probably be, how much use and what sort of action you like. A fast 5 will act like a soft 6, same with the smaller rods. Honestly the the 3wt series one echo is a very nice soft action rod, and if you like chucking line then something like the Z-axis would be great in either a 5 or 6. I would head over to M&Y in Surrey where they have almost every rod you could ever want to try, and give them a toss. You'll know what you like when you cast it.

As for the Ross reels, for myself, I have a very nice Canyon BG-4, the new momentum seems ok, they lost some of my respect with the CL-A reels, too tinny. And after trying the value series they offer I don't know if I can trust their product just cause it has their name on it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Those rods that you mentioned are both fast actioned rods. You might want to try a soft (or at least softer) rod for trout...you may actually enjoy playing a fish you can feel. :) My rods that are 7wt and up are all fast rods meant to carry a lot of line for distance casting and throwing big or heavy flies for big fish. All of my rods 3wt to 6wt are soft rods meant for more delicate presentations and actually being able to feel and enjoy fighting smaller fish. That is not to say that I never catch and successfully (and ethically) catch and release large fish with my light rods...the biggest fish I've landed with my 9' 4wt Winston IM6 was a 8-9lb rainbow caught on a #18 fly with 6x tippet in a spring creek in the US.

A good friend of mine who I fish with is an absolute Sage nut. He always fished with cannons because he loved being able to throw long hero casts. One day I took him out to the Skagit and insisted he put his 490 XP down for a little while and fish dry flies with my 4wt Winston IM6. Well, a few fish turned that few minutes into a long while...and he promptly bought a used Sage 490 Light Line for trout. He now uses that Light Line whenever we go fishing for trout in the lakes. Something to ponder anyway.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Stone, I was wondering sine you said you recomended faster rods for higher weights and softer rods for lower weights, would the new zxl be a good choice for a 5wt rod? I think I will be mainly using this rod for general light weight fishing not just the Skagit. I wish i could fish more often but having such a busy job scheduale I manage to get out on the rivers once a week or once every two weeks. Currently I already own a zaxis for my 8wt so i dont mind having another type of rod for my light weight set up. Similar to your friend I also love sage rods :happy:

But for the reel I get what you are all saying that the reel is mainly for line storage but I wouldn't mind having a relatively nice one in case i hit up a bigger fish. I know for a fact that the Abel reels are really nice but VERY pricey...the Ross Evolution or Galvan Torque would be a cheaper choice for a light set up as many of you said that I don't require an amazing drag for smaller sized fish.

I also plan on bringing this light weight set up for my trip to Panama next year for some Peacock Bass fishing!

and thanks Prof for the advice lol I know that it's sometimes a waste of money for the expensive reels but your right I do like shiney things :wallbash: I dont know why I just love collecting things. I just got back from the Thompson last weekend before they closed down. Me and a buddy from work stayed at Spences Bridge and camped there for 2 days. No trouts were around, the only thing i saw there were massive schools of pinks. Next year I will be sure to head to the Thompson at a better date not so late in the summer. By the way since you travel there quite often do the trouts usually get pushed away by the pinks or is it like this every year ?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Ed604:

To be perfectly honest with you, I haven't bought any new gear for a number of years now. I basically accumulated my gear when I used to work at a local flyshop, and bought the best of what I liked under the various professional programs, and ever since then, I haven't made any significant new purchases (other than the occassional double hander or reel here and there :)).

So...I wouldn't know what to say about those new Sage rods because I've never given them a wiggle. I would imagine that they would undoubtedly be great rods...but I wouldn't know what kind of action they would be. Basically if they are similar to the discontinued SLT, you would find a great compromise between a strong butt section and a supple tip. Sorry I couldn't be much more help...good luck!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Ed604 - This is the year I discovered the Thompson trout fishery, so I can't really give you much info on the pink situation. I have heard however that the trout from the Thompson follow the sockeye all the way to the Adams River during the spawn and that might explain the missing trout when you were there? :confused:

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To Stone:
Yeah lucky you worked at a flyshop and got to get discounted products i bet!! And yeah there are WAY TOO many things to buy and so little time and money lol. I've just begun accumulating products, was planning on getting a lightweight first and maybe move to spey in the next year or two lol.

To Prof:
Yeah me and my buddy were really unlucky we even drove up to Ashcroft to check if there were any trouts up there and found nothing. Next year i will definetly need to head out there earlier in the summer to catch the trout runs. Before then probably hit up the Vedder or Squamish for Chum season.

This will be my first fall/winter going steelheading any suggestions of some good places within 3 hours of vancouver? I live downtown vancouver so Squamish is very easily accessable for me. Vedder is alright considering i work out in the Fraser Valley. Hopefully I"l get to see some of you guys out in the rivers this year ! :beerchug:

and Eimaj.. very nice combo i've heard great things about the Gloomis crosscurrent glx!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.