BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get a general feel as to what is prefered in the masses. I am retiring my old neops 13 seasons and only a small wear hole on the heel. What I am wondering is are breathables warm to fish in the winter with the temps cooling down. What about drying time, that used to be a pet peeve having to turn them inside out and back around and them still not feeling completely dry the next am. Are they resistant to scuffing or tearing when rubbed on rocks or caught on bushes
Cheers
Crazy D

·
Registered
219 Posts
My experience is that they won't warm up one bit. I have a pair of Bare breathables and apart from the neoprene feet i'm almost always cold. You really have to do a good job of layering underneath. Durability wise they seem preety good. Just remember your wading belt.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I wear my breathables year round. Get a good insulated under layer. (technical, wicking underwear and/ or thermals are enough for me during the winter.) I turn my breathables inside out every other trip, just to be sure to dry the feet. The breathability of the waders stops build up of internal moisture (this also helps keep you warmer,) I met one guy who cut the toes and heels out of an old leaky pair of neos (made stirrup feet) and cut them off at the waist and wore them under his breathables. I'm sure it defeated the breathability factor, but he swore he was warm as toast.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a pair of crystal river breathable waders. There great in the summer but even with longers and sweats your gonna feel the cold in the winter. Still I find there pretty darn good as long as you dont want to stand in the flow waist deep all day.

As far as wear and tear goes mine are four years old and I have patched the inseam on both legs with aquaseal. When they first leaked I was :mad: but the repair was so easy and effective I would definitely buy another pair when these ones finally do wear out.
I have walked through many a blackberry bush ridden trail and never had an issue with punctures or tears from that.

The drying time is truly the reason I bought these. (And the price :-X.) They are dry other than the feet in minutes. I often leave them on when I jump in my truck to move locations or call it quits for the day.

Good call on the belt Bertoli :beerchug: that thing could save your life.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Breathables won't be as warm because they don't insulate against cold like neo's do. The trick is to make sure to wear a good layer underneath. The layer under has to be able to wick otherwise you might as well buy neo's and sweat in them. I have a pair of polar fleece pants that I can wear under. Even cheap polar fleece will wick moisture and keep you warm. Same goes for the feet. The neo feet will retain moisture but I don't really notice that when I'm wearing moisture wicking socks.
They're not as tough as neo's so be careful bushwacking in them but one of the big draws is comfort. Between the moisture wicking and general comfort, they're hard to beat. Of course if you get cold in winter, stick to neo's and buy the breathables for the spring/summer/fall.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a pair of bare breathables and neoprenes. I've found my neos have been great during the winter months/ tubing in lakes etc as I get to cold with the breathables. Apart from that I find the breathables to be way more comfortable, especially with warm weather. Not to mention the fact that breathables dry fast and can roll up nice and tight if your going to be putting them in a bag and walking into your favourite honey hole. ;D As far as wear and tear on them. I have had mine for over two years, and walking through brush is no problem. Hasnt done a thing to mine. My only advice is, should you decide to go and buy breathables I recommend getting 4 ply as apposed to 2 ply if it fits your budget. It will probably last you longer, and its a little tougher.

-Cap Mano

·
Registered
40 Posts
for winter warmth their is no way too layer enough stuff under a pair of neos, for them too be as warm as a breathables with micro fibre long johns up and down and fleece top and bottoms....loose fitting thick fleece pants keep the water off of you which keeps you nice and warm.good socks also being key.-15 and blowing wind if youre not nuts deep in neos you FROZEN.whereas the above mentioned costume with a good gore tex jacket, I can walk around frozen stiff still nice and toasty .quilted vest on top is a nice touch!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Got to agree with Chasin chrome, love my breathables, I where heli hanson long johns and socks add a good pair of fleece pants a fleece pull over and woolys over the socks, works great, even standing to my nuts in the vedder in the blowing snow for hours. :thumbup:

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm now in the breathables year round group. Except through the summer months when I'm wet wading ;D Get a good pair and have at'er, the extra movment and comfort is great, and the layering ability is great, thermals and good joggers in the winter for me, I stay nice and warm.

·
Registered
695 Posts
i've also swapped over to the breathables their lighter and a lot more comfortable than the neo's also to pack them they don't take as much space as well,i find them not to bad for duability as long as your careful when bushwacking as for the warmth i just wear long johns and it seems to be fine but good point about the fleece.

scruffy

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey Guys

I switched to breathables last season and all I can say is why did I wait so long. I went with a pair of the Gortex waders and I am amazed at the comfort level and lack of sweating my nads off. :happy:Some of the higher end manufactures sell a full line of wicking clothing designed to be layered under waders. Last winter I used them exclusively and if you layer properly you will never be cold. As for socks I started wearing a breathable sock liner and a pair of Marks work warehouse ice socks and never had cold feet.

I still have my bare neos but their just for the float tube now, But I use the breathables for the pontoon.

And just like others have said before make dam sure you wear your wading belt...

Centerpin 8)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm with the others, ya just can't beat those breathables. They are sooo comfy man. Its like wearing a light pair of pants while your fishing. Never had a problem with the cold, just layer up. The BEST part about breathables....dry balls ;D

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Jack Straw said:
I'm with the others, ya just can't beat those breathables. They are sooo comfy man. Its like wearing a light pair of pants while your fishing. Never had a problem with the cold, just layer up. The BEST part about breathables....dry balls ;D
My wife wears them too, and never mentioned that benefit. ??? ???

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
There is no choice: Breathables all the way - just make sure you have a thin polypropelene layer on first, then some fleece for warmth and your booties to protect the neoprene feet otherwise you'll have the same problem I have right now - fixing an elusive hole in the foot. Aqua seal is it?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bought a pair of breathables last spring and finnally tried them out last weekend on the Stamp awesome so light and comfortable easy to get on and off :thumbup: I havent wore them in winter yet but i will just take some advice from this thread ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.