BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was fishin upper fraser yesterday,drift nets were deployed 40ft from shore 5 times at bird island.
Yes it did affect fishin,one spring caught all day.to the point ,when there is this activity,is there a way to determine when it,s occurring becouse i see nothing posted on dfo openings and closures ,or is it just drive 1.5 hr to take in the scenery !!!!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Net fishing is open on weekends almost always when abundance is good.
It was definately open this weekend as set nets with numbered marker bouys were everywhere.
enjoy the scenery

Not alot of Chinook coming thru right now anyway, one hell of alot of Sockeye though. You can get them cheaper if you buy them from the netters anyway.

·
Registered
137 Posts
if people would stop buying them off the FN'S then maybe they would do it as much because the demands not there..just a thought..

·
Registered
162 Posts
would it not be a good idea to have set times of the day that the nets could be in the water so that us recreational fishers could plan around it or find a different location to fish. I really feel for those that make the long day trek out to the water and unable to have a good day

·
Registered
270 Posts
Gee----Bent Rods---- that is some comment coming from a sports fisherman & guiding out fitter,----unbelievable---some of us like to catch are own fish as we enjoy fishing for them we do not encourage others to buy fish off the netters as it is illegal to do so we all know you do not like the thought of the sockeye opening to sporties, and for your own reasons, and that's ok, but to suggest that it is cheaper to buy off the netters that's like saying it's ok to poach. Like you we do not like all the ------ that come out of the wood work when the socks are opened but then we have no control over how or what they do, I would suggest buying from your local stores or markets if you so wish to eat a really nice tasting fish. ------ just my 2 cents----- on the comment.

·
Registered
270 Posts
right from a dfo officer

This is the statement that a DFO OFFICER said to me the natives are first on the list until they get there quotas then commercial as they make there living from this occupation, then the sports fisherman takes up the rears. :peace:;)::):(

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
if people would stop buying them off the FN'S then maybe they would do it as much because the demands not there..just a thought..
I think what they should do is FINE HEAVILY the ones that BUY from FN's... maybe a BIG FINE PER FISH that the buyer is caught with..

OH and one thing - we notice this weekend there were nets everywhere with IMPROPERLY marked bouy's - they need the bright red scotchman at each end instead of a milkjug - really hard to see them when they are marked at the end in this way...we almost ran into 2 of them just because they were so hard to see out there ::)
And what REALLY makes me SICK is to see these set nets soo full of fish and they are SINKING!!! What a FREAKIN waste!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was out in delta yesterday afternoon watching the natives go to town on the sockeye. Holy crap batman is there ever alot of sockey coming throught right now. Every set their nets were just stuffed with sockeye. A sport opening should just be around the corner !!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Commercial fisher friend says he can't remember a year this good for sox.

·
Registered
911 Posts
You gotta love this, every group out there was crying conservation and we have to save every last sock out there, now this year there a some fish around and it's back to the same rape and pilrage till the last ones gone. Then we can all start the finger pointing in 4 years again, yeah!!!

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
The FN groups will fish as needed for domestic and economic reasons, if folks have an issue with that take it up with the Supreme Court. Many bands fish whenever they feel it is necessary; not what the DFO posts on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
You gotta love this, every group out there was crying conservation and we have to save every last sock out there, now this year there a some fish around and it's back to the same rape and pilrage till the last ones gone. Then we can all start the finger pointing in 4 years again, yeah!!!
Leave the sockeye fishery closed to both sports fishermen and commercial fishermen, and if four years from now the sockeye fishery is sh*t, we can simply point the finger at the Indians for destroying the run.

Of course, we will need to spend millions of taxpayer dollars for a bunch of idiots to figure that out..... but everyone here on the forum will already know the answer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Leave the sockeye fishery closed to both sports fishermen and commercial fishermen, and if four years from now the sockeye fishery is sh*t, we can simply point the finger at the Indians for destroying the run.

Of course, we will need to spend millions of taxpayer dollars for a bunch of idiots to figure that out..... but everyone here on the forum will already know the answer.
I would vote for that, make that an election issue. maybe the inquiry will help as well

·
Registered
13 Posts
If a certain run is determined to be strong, open it to all user groups (FN, sport, commercial). If the run is a weak one, shut it down for all user groups. This way there's no BS, no finger pointing !!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I don't think it's as simple as big run/ little run. I'm nor fisheries biologist but, from what I've read and heard, return rates per spawining fish are the telltale stat. This year's monster run won't necessarily produce a bounty 4 years from now if the ratio is around 1 to 1. Conversely, if a small run gets great conditions (good temperatures, water levels, etc.), a bounty can occur. It is a complicated thing - both the science and the politics. If it were easy, we wouldn't all be worried about it I guess. :twocents:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't think it's as simple as big run/ little run. I'm nor fisheries biologist but, from what I've read and heard, return rates per spawining fish are the telltale stat. This year's monster run won't necessarily produce a bounty 4 years from now if the ratio is around 1 to 1. Conversely, if a small run gets great conditions (good temperatures, water levels, etc.), a bounty can occur. It is a complicated thing - both the science and the politics. If it were easy, we wouldn't all be worried about it I guess. :twocents:
First things first, even though the numbers going through the test fisheries in-river, as well as reports of stuffed Indian nets, it's too early to call it a monster run:)

I agree that basing a run-size estimate on escapement data from years previous is a trivial method at best.
We can't directly control all the conditions these fish will/have encountered, but we can limit our impact on these adults as they come back to spawn by removing some of the obstacles these fish face.....

I think it's great the natives are able to get their fish this year; however, I question some of the methods they use to achieve this.

Look's like my hypothesis of letting the Indians have all the pie this year was crushed today by the opening of the commercial fishery this Thursday/Friday.

·
Registered
911 Posts
My point wasn't to single out FN out there. It was directed to the fact that for the last couple years most sporties have been preaching conservation and now that there are a few fish showing up the drool has started to run. No matter how much we cry and complain on here the netters will keep dredging and there's not a damn thing we can do about it. Chase us off the water for 4 years, would it make a difference, I highly doubt it though I'm sure the whole incidental catch point would be brought up. BUT start pointing fingers in 4 years and the answer will be the same "we were here first and you are fishing for our fish". As far as the commercials heading out this week why? it's a dead horse, you watch as their license's are sold and more of the FN's buy the quota your going to see more forced commercial openings, it's all fueled by greed and the dollar, ask Jimmy P what he stands to gain when the natives control the Fraser fishery. You want to solve the problem of finger pointing convince ALL parties to show honest catchment numbers. Maybe have counting stations where fish have to come through, FN and others, no more secret on reserve launches. Get the chiefs to agree to that and I'm sure you'll see pigs fly, Like I said your trying to fish for their fish on their river. Good luck changing those beliefs into we can all share the harvest.
Cheers
CD

1 - 20 of 27 Posts