BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey

i live downtown vancouver and am dying to get out of the city and do some local fishing.. i'm new to the whole fishing scene and am really unsure where to go within 1-3 hours of the city. i dont' have a boat so would just be fishing from the shore. any hints on places i shouold try!?

thanks!

· Registered
1,386 Posts
Hey Chrism, Welcome to BCFR.

Before anyone can really answer your questions you need to let us know what type of fishing you prefer; lakes, rivers, chuck?
Do you have a boat? This will probably sway some answers too. Last thing you might want to let us know is if you want to target salmon or trout?

If you give us some more info we can help you out a little better because there are hundreds of places to fish within 3 hours of Vancouver.

You can also use the search tools on this site as there are many people who have asked the same questions. Simply search for salmon fishing or trout fishing etc..

Cheers.

PS. You should have posted this in the freshwater forum :wink:

· Registered
85 Posts
From downtown Vancouver?

I live in Vancouver, and I shore-fish almost every weekend and even some weekdays. I try anywhere between Hope and The Capilano River. I'm not that experienced with Salmon fishing yet. If you ever want to split gas money, I have a pretty economical VW that I use. Tomorrow I'm going to try the Scales Bar near Hope. I found some legal parking there today, but ended up bushwacking down a steep slope to find a few boulders in the Fraser creating back-eddies. I fished there for a few yours spinning and plunking spin 'n' glos. No luck. Then as I clambered back to the CNR tracks some other anglers pointed me in the direction of the entrance to the real Scales Bar. It's about a 10 minute hike along the railway from parking, and then maybe another 10 minute hike down the easy trail to a bar that's about 1km long. I only got to fish it for 40min before it started getting dark. I'm headed there again soon.

· Registered
54 Posts
Hey 2Metric...next time you head out to the scale bar perhaps you can let me know and we can hook up as I have yet to find this place...thanks...I have been on the Vedder for the last few days and it is really starting to take shape...tight lines...

· Registered
85 Posts
Sure!

Ya it was a little tricky to access. There's a cafe I found last time in Hope that has sports TV and good chow. A huge LCD screen mounted high on the back wall. Sofas or tables. I remember now it was on Wallace Street. The same street as Cheyenne Sporting Goods. That's the only fishing store I could find. I think the owner has some good tips on fishing the local bars. Tackle seemed way cheaper than in Vancouver. It's always good luck to stop in at the local fishing store.

I know it's late notice, but I'm headed to Scales Bar tomorrow. Not too early, but I'll probably be there around noon. After reading about why the DFO closed the upper part of the bar, I wouldn't mind some company for safety's sake! I guess there'll always be that group of insane risky anglers.

After I go there for the second time, I'll be able to give you even clearer directions for access/parking.

· Registered
1,437 Posts
TO GET TO SCALE BAR ...

Walk towards Agassiz from the Hope Weigh Scales ....... left hand (river side) of highway ...... watch for pathway approx. 500 - 1000 yds. down the road (across from old parking area). Pathway takes you down to train tracks ........ cross tracks and continue on pathway down to river. Approx a 1k or so hike downhill.

Last time I drove by I think there was parking on the side of the Hwy. for maybe 2 cars ..... don't park where your not supposed to or when you get back your vehicle won't be there ....... YOU WILL BE TOWED. Remember ..... you gotta pack out what you catch ...... if you're not in shape you will be .... goodluck .... :wink:

GOFISH 8)

· Registered
247 Posts
your right about getting in shape packing out your fish. had 2 socks and a 35 lb. spring a couple years ago to pack out, WHAT FUN LOL. i see why some guys bring their stuff down on a moving dolly, it makes taking the gear and fish out, WAY EASIER.

· Registered
1,437 Posts
How true wagonmaster ...... sure learned in a hurry that on a hot day it's also way nicer to take off your chest waders and put them in a packsack rather than wear them in and out. Found out in a hurry the fisherman's definition of a "BODY CONDOM". :roll:

I sure am spoiled now with the boat ....... just thinking of all the fun I used to have. :?: :cry: But I think I can live without it.

GOFISH 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.