BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although i have fished before for brief moments, i never really got into it and am basically starting off fresh. My 9 year old daughter and I made a decision to learn together. I think she is learning quicker than me by reading, than I am by fishing. I have been hitting the Vedder, usually around Lickman, but have done more exploring than actual fishing. Also have tried the Fraser, but never seem to catch any fish. I caught one whitefish in the vedder, and thats it. I have been out plenty in the last couple weeks too. I have been reading lots and doing tons of internet research, which is how i came across this site. I bought myself a 10 ft. rod for Bar fishing on the Fraser. And been mostly using pink wool with a corkie. But no luck. Any tips someone can give up ? I have been floatfishing as I read bottom bouncing is considered taboo right now. I have never caught anything bigger than 1 pound I don't think. So I am trying to figure out what size hook to use and what bait or not at all ? How much wool, swivels, snaphooks, spinners and everything else is pretty new to me. I am hoping My daughter can hook into one of these pinks soon, before she gets discouraged as we keep getting skunked. As i head to the vedder , I usually get pretty discouraged and watch mostly , as I don't want to piss anyone off. I am not sure on what i am doing , nor exactly sure what to do or what the different salmon species look like. I bring and carry with me, the salmon supplement book, just in case I need to look up what i catch, and I have got a video from the library too. So I am trying. I guess I won't know til I catch something what it really looks like.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
well me and another member from here will be hitting the Vedder this upcoming Saturday if you would like to meet up with us i have no problem showing you a few things ;)

our rivers right now are a week or so "early" so just be patient give it a couple weeks and you will be catching more fish than you know what to do with ;D

just PM me and we can arrange something

HOOK

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks for the invite, but this Saturday is no good for me. We have another family engagement to attend, and of course they are expecting to see me. maybe another time. I do sure hope the upcoming weeks are better.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Like Hook said it's just getting started. If your daughter has never caught a fish, take her to some of the back channels on the fraser for pike minnows, they are easy to catch and will keep her intrested in it. Then when the pinks and others start to show she'll be stoked on the hunt. Keep with it you'll find a wealth of info and help here from a good group of people
Crazy D

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey nofishfisherman

This is a great year for you and you daughter to start fishing. With all the pinks coming in you should have no problem getting plenty of fish for both of you. One of the easiest ways would probably be casting spoons or spinners from shore anywhere on the river. As the next couple of weeks go by the fish will be in so thick you won't believe it.

For bar fishing I would suggest switching over to a good size spin-n-glo in various colors but I believe that chrome with a green top or red top are the preferred colors.

I know my daughter loves the years when the pinks are in as she has a blast and it is virtually impossible to get out of the house with a fishing rod without her.

As far as the bottom bouncing goes it is best to forget you ever heard of it as it is not something you should teach your kids let them learn what it is like to actually get a fish to bite a lure as it is much more rewarding than snagging fish.

I will let you know the next time I head out for Pinks as I would be happy to give you both a hand, as would many of the members on this site.

Centerpin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for all the help, especially so quickly !! I have been doing nothing but thinking about fishing and reading and very little actual fishing. Trying to make sure I know the rules and so forth. I am new to the knots and spin n glo, corkies and everything. So bare with me. I have been making my own roe sacks though recently, well if you consider buying the roe from walmart and putting it in sacks, making my own. But, Do I use it with wool or spin n glo's, or are those only used by themselves ? I am waiting for my copy of Fishing for Dummies from the Library, someone else had it out. In the meantime, i'll be out and about, usually gone sooner than expected, as I like to explore too much. Perhaps this why I catch no fish. I was hoping to get a big spring, but not knowing what to use and where to go, is proving to be a dream passing by,lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still learning, I was at the Vedder Canal today, just north of the hwy 1 bridge, off of yale rd. in the mud pit. I actually found some kind of a hole and i was catching a fish with every cast pretty much, float fishing. Too bad they were all little white fish( I think ) tails are clear with no spots. They were all pretty small. My question is how do you avoid catching these ? I am using a 1/0 hook, Is that too small ? I had peach wool and a corkie on there, along with roe sack. I want to stop catching these small little fish and just catch the bigger ones , Is that possible ?

G

·
My wife and I just started fishing (primarily fly fishing) a couple of years ago in the Merritt area for trout and local rivers for salmon. Now my son and his girlfriend and other son are really into it. We took some lessons, read many books and talked to a lot of people. Perhaps you're doing the right thing by "scouting" and watching. It's amazing that some people seem to catch more fish than others. We spent hours watching at first. Those are the people to talk to or at least watch to see what they do. Most are quite happy to help. It took as awhile to get the right gear and we're still experimenting, but at least now we're catching fish, but you have to be patient...isn't that what fishing is all about. This past weekend we actually started to tie our own flys for pinks and coho...we'll have to see how they work in the local rivers over the next few weeks. We were lucky to start fishing in 2005 when the pinks were in as we caught quite a few and also Chum, especially on the fly rod, on the Seymour, Squamish and Cheahlis (spelling?) rivers. Really gets you hooked. Now we're trying for Coho and Springs which I gather are harder to catch. Just stick with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.