BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Great fish but should of released it. No doubt full of worms like most big lakers are up there and certainly a huge and needless waste of superb genetic material.

·
Registered
279 Posts
A shame for sure

Agreed, that fish should definately be released. I guided for Plummers Great Bear Lake lodge in 2004, and the fishing up there is unreal. I witnessed a 12 year old kid catch a 72lb laker, and boated numerous fish in the 50lb range, and hundreds of 15 to 30lb fish. Definately an experience of a lifetime being up there for 2 months, the scenery and wildlife is unreal. A real shame to see a fish like that killed. All fish over 28" must be released when fishing with Plummers lodge. That fish is well over 100 years old.

Nates

·
Registered
28 Posts
that is huge! it could definitely be 100+ years old...and yes fish really do live to be that old...I know sturgeon can live to be over 150 years old

·
Registered
477 Posts
Not cool!

The temperature of the lakes up there contribute a lot to the age of the Lakers. They grow at a slower rate. I spent a geological field season up there (Apr. - Oct. '97) and did a lot of fishing for lake trout. I saw a few c&r'd in the high 40's but nothing like that!

Definitely a sad sight to see it dead.

-Nathan in NW

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Honestly, I don't have an in-depth knowledge of fish biology. However, I wonder how much a big old fish, can contribute to the next generation.
I can only assume that fish have a "shelf life." Sure that fish is big and old, but is it still spawning regularly?

I mean, if you look at humans, any woman over 35 has a significant increase in the likelihood of having children with "genetic problems" ie Downs syndrome (and/or decreased fertility, increased spontaneous abortions/miscarriages etc)

I know I'm comparing mammals with bony fish...but still.

Anyone know? Any thoughts?

I'm not defending the hero/trophy bonk, I'm just questioning the damage it has on the fishery.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't know if such an old fish could still be productive and I have to wonder how good eating it might be. Still I think it's a shame that it wasn't released for someone else, just think how many lines it broke over the years and the stories of the big one that got away.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't know if such an old fish could still be productive and I have to wonder how good eating it might be. Still I think it's a shame that it wasn't released for someone else, just think how many lines it broke over the years and the stories of the big one that got away.
That's exactly what I was thinking... It can't be that good eating so why keep it? On the other hand, if They intend to eat and not just stuff it then why not?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Very true.

·
Registered
489 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking... It can't be that good eating so why keep it? On the other hand, if They intend to eat and not just stuff it then why not?
No one's going to eat that thing. As someone else said, it is likely full of worms adn would taste like crap.
It's a trophy, plain and simple - legally caught and retained along with the world record bragging rights that go with it.
I personally don't need the recognition so I would be more than happy to release it with lots of pictures and get a replica mount built for it.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Mr lake...young man, now that you are back from your epic trip with your dad, what would you have done if you had caught this fish?

·
Registered
156 Posts
What is the point of posting this pic with so little info to go along with it? If this is truly a record trout then the info is public anyways.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts