BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am in the planning stage of outfitting my new Thunderjet 21 need a consensus on what to purchase for 2 - jigging/Halibut rods and reels and 2 - downrigger trolling rods and reels. Am planning on putting 80 lb 832 braid on Hali rods and 50 lb 832 on DR rods. rods and reels do not have to be the same for each combo. Have scotty 2106 D-riggers. Mostly Kitimat/Douglas and Prince Rupert/Porcher Island areas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shimano Trevala Penn 330
Lamiglass XCF103 islander MR3
Thanks SnJ dont know if I want to spend +1100 for 2 Islanders. Looked at Tekota 600's and Penn squall's, Shimano TDL's 2 speed for bottom fishing. Looked at some lamiglass classic but hard to find, also ugly's for everything and okuma cedros for bottom. alot of the time the outfits will be used by buddies, family etc. What do you think lever drag or star???

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks SnJ dont know if I want to spend +1100 for 2 Islanders. Looked at Tekota 600's and Penn squall's, Shimano TDL's 2 speed for bottom fishing. Looked at some lamiglass classic but hard to find, also ugly's for everything and okuma cedros for bottom. alot of the time the outfits will be used by buddies, family etc. What do you think lever drag or star???
Islanders are pricey.
Go with Shimano GT 4000's.
The Penn 330's are buddy proof.
Oldest reels on my boat.
Blew thru many Okuma's.
Star for bottom fish, lever for Tuna.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the Shimano Tekotas on my boat. I have been plenty happy with them. Long enough to be able to keep the fish away from the boat when I need to but still manageable. They have a lot of body for a DR rod and you can really load them up when setting them on the downriggers. If using braided line I would top-shot your braid with about 50 feet of mono to give you some shock resistance. It will really help when you have a hot fish close to the boat.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
QZ.....what is your budget for your downrigging set ups? As SnJ stated you could go with Shimano 4000 reels paired up with Shimano Covergence or Technium rods. They'll do everything you need for a good price. Also for rods in that price there are a couple by Trophy I have heard good things about or even Fenwick HMX as an option.

Reels.....if you want to go basic workhorse models; Shimano 4000. VERY easy to maintain and hold up very well to getting knocked around the boat etc. If you did want to step up into an aluminum moocher I tried out the Amundson one on a buddies boat the other day and they seem pretty solid and smooth. I have been running my Trophy XL QR4.5's for a few years now and they have served me just fine. In saying that they have addressed in their newest version a couple of issues being the free spool being easy to click on, handle size (MUCH better now) and I think the drag spring was addressed. I may actually sell mine and get some of the new ones but I also have a buddy who has stated he'd put new handles from a Shimano reel on for me.

As for bottom fish.....the set up with the 330 Penn's is great, low cost. You can throw them on a number of different rods be it some Shimano options, had a buddy who got set up with some new Trophy's which have bee reviewed well for use at lodges up and down the coast...or as you mention, Ugly Stix.

If you're not going to jump up to the higher end gear be it reels by Islander, Abel, Avet etc or Sage rods etc....you're going to be just fine using the more "budget conscious" gear.

Only thing I would say is go with a 10'6" rod for your moochers.....I have a buddy who always uses his 9' and I sure don't like fighting a fish with them anywhere near as much. He claims being notably shorter than I am that he finds them easier to handle.....but I am not sold. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank for the info guys narrows my search down. Now will look around for best deals. tough when you have to do on line nice to decide with merchandise in hand. No shops in Quesnel that carry any amount of inventory. Will visit Wholesale and Nechako in PG and see what I can find. Thanks for the mono advice, Had heard that and makes attaching terminal gear and lures alot easier

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Purchased a Tekota 600LC (LC in case 3 fishing) and a Lamiglass Classic Glass 9'. Buddy is giving me 2 tuna/marlin rods he has used twice that he said would be good for halibut. Will see what they are like .

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thank for the info guys narrows my search down. Now will look around for best deals. tough when you have to do on line nice to decide with merchandise in hand. No shops in Quesnel that carry any amount of inventory. Will visit Wholesale and Nechako in PG and see what I can find. Thanks for the mono advice, Had heard that and makes attaching terminal gear and lures alot easier
Don't forget that Surplus Herbies is in PG now. Northern Hardware has a small selection but carry some good brands ( St Croix, Lamiglass)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shimano Terez TZC70MH Black Series
Accurate BX-600
Power Pro Super-8-Slick 80lb high vis yellow

G.Loomis GL2 1265
Islander MR2LA
Maxima 30lb high vis yellow

Decided I don't want rods with a gimbal. Those rods were the best ones that have a solid rubber butt, no cap. I don't know of a nicer reel than the Accurates, I own the DPX2 which are two speed and triple dawg design, part of the Dawg Pound series reels.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Islander & Trophy QR 4.5 with the New Handles for mooching reels. Shimano Takota 600 LC or the Okuma Low Profile Linecounter reel. Love the flexibility of the Okuma as you can use it many different ways with its 25 lb. drag and large line capacity. i have my Okuma lined with 50 pound braid and toped off with 30 feet of 30 lb. mono.If you can afford it the Fetha Styx motor moocher or Crome rods in either 9'6" or 10'6" can't be beat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you checked out the Rapala Shift reels? I have one on my convergence 10'6, and so far so good, havent had any issues with line cree, and the foam handles are a comfy touch, paired with a large arbor, it is WAAY better than my shimano 4000, however, for the price it had better be. I think they're a good opton if you want something that doesn't look, or cost like a museum piece. (Islander/Abel)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts