BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all,
I'm new to B.C. and will be working here for a year. I love to flyfish (catch and release) and would like to spend some time fishing the local rivers around Vancouver (that's where my wife and I are living).

I found the Pitt River Lodge website and recently read a good post on the forum about the excellent fishing there. Looks like you can only get there by boat access from a guide service? The Pitt River Lodge offers lots of packages including day trips w/ rafts or cabin rental w/ walk and wade trips that let you go on your own.

Anybody here done trips on the river without a boat? Are there any other ways to get there than by guided trip that you have to hire?

Also, what kinds of flies would be good there this time of year?

Thanks for any info.,
Christian

· Banned
2,854 Posts
read through the info here about the Upper Pitt its from the lodges site but it says which flies are best to use during which time of year.

http://www.pittriverlodge.com/fishing.html

as for getting up there, there are other ways but nothing wil beat a drift trip with a guide :cheers: If you have a boat you can get to the mouth of the river and then quad or pedal bike it up about 20km's to the beginning of the fishy water (this is what i have been told) I was supposed to get up there this year however that seems to have fallen through more than once now :-\

have fun out there

P.S. dont be taking a small 14foot or smaller cartopper or something up that lake as you will risk capsizing on the way home. there is a big wind that picks up in the afternoon and it can get very scary in a small boat, even in a big one for that matter.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I must have missed the part about fly patterns as I was mesmerized by the fish pictures on the website.

Sounds like hiring a guide is the way to go (at least for the first trip). I don't have a boat. I traveled in a minimalist fashion as my wife and I hauled our little Ford Ranger pick-up 3000 miles from Rochester, NY to BC. I'm used to fishing in the fall and spring on the Lake Ontario tributaries but would really like to try my hand at some trout and salmon up here.

C

· Registered
1,660 Posts
As already mentioned, while there is a logging road that follows a lot of the river, the way to fish it is really with a boat. A jet boat opens up both sides of the river to the angler, and you can go up or down river to explore all day.

· Registered
322 Posts
Yeah you can fish the river by biking up the logging road, but you miss lots of the better spots without a boat.

Lots of cool places to fish without a boat in the lowermainland.
Stave River Chum in october
Vedder
Harrison @ Kilby
Squamish

· Registered
72 Posts
I used to take my 12ft up the lake in oct,then ride or borrow a friends logging truck.I was also 20 and in awesome shape and no fear.Not smart to take a boat that small.Now I stay at the lodge and drift theriver.The bull trout fishing is awesome in july.sometimes 20fish a day between 4 and 12lbs on the fly as well as the odd spring.extremely large black and chartruese leeches and intruder flies were the ticket.The best days were when there weren't jet boats.They seam to spook the runs somewhat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.