BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am an experienced angler from Alberta, new to Vancouver. Extremely eager to experience what BC fishing is all about. I'm not looking for anyone to share their secret spots, just a push in the right direction in terms of where to fish this time of year and what I can look forward to.

Much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Unlike Alta. we have a W I D E range of fishing opportunities here in the Fraser Valley...A few more specifics might be helpful to the members....salt water, fresh water, trout salmon steelhead lake fishing stillwater fishing, Fraser river, estuaries?.....you get the picture.....lots of variety..........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The north arm is not as productive as the south arm. However, that being said, The best thing to do is to scope out the river at a very low slack tide. For reference I would add one hr. to the Pt. Atkinson lighthouse schedule....You will need a nice sloping beach, not a drop off or deep channel. You can also see where the hazards are on the bottom, during a low tide as the river has a lot of nasty hook & gear grabbers. Once you find a good place, fish it on the incoming and right thru the high slack tide...You do not have to cast to the middle of the river...Usually 30- 40 feet is plenty as most salmon will follow the seam between the very fast water and the quieter water close to shore......Use dew worms, single eggs or roe and if you can keep the course fish at bay, you will eventually catch some trout, salmon, and perhaps sturgeon.....Now that's a differnt story...Gear is simple and any sport shop can help you out.....I would pay a visit to Berry's Bait & Tackle....Good people and very knowledgeable..........Tight lines...Ortho 8)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, Ortho. I checked out a spot at low tide today and it looks perfect in terms of what you described I should look for. It's in Fraser River Park in Vancouver. McDonald Beach and boat launch is on the opposite bank. Nice gradual sloping beach with what seems like an ideal flow. Just have a few more items to gather up before I'm all set and the plan is to be there for low tide on Friday. Stocking up on all the new gear hurts the old pocket book, having already spent a small fortune over the years on gear for Alberta fishing, but that's all part of the fun.

Thanks again.

Mark

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Both those spots are productive, but you may find a lot of small, course fish stealing your bait..Try using roe bags or clear nylon stockings tied up with spider line.........If you have a car swing over to the bar under the New Westminster skytrain bridge...(Much better fishing)...Ortho 8)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the tips. Made it out to New West under the skytrain bridge and had a good time tryin out the new gear. Didn't catch anything but between 2 and 8 pm there were 2 jack springs caught and a dolly varden. Definitely will be back again and will definitely be checking out some other spots too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Start fishing the Vedder, the nice thing about a system like that is there is productive fishing almost all year round' As well as the fact you can find your own litle honey holes and if you put the time in and get away from crowds you will be rewarded.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.