BC Fishing Reports banner

New to fishing.- Nanaimo

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Tripitaka 
#1 · (Edited)
I've getting back into fishing after a break of about 22 years! My last fishing was as a teenager coarse fishing (freshwater) in the uk. Of course. Much is different here and I have a lot to learn. A very limited budget and a chance to interest my 7 year old daughter means that for now we are just trying a little bit of trout fishing in the lakes around nanaimo. For now it's spinning and bait casting, would love to one day step up to fly fishing (both fresh and saltwater) and eventually fish for salmon and get into boats and all that fun. But for the near future I think I'm going to have stick with activities from shorelines and cost effective equipment.Anyway just wanted to say Hi, Great to read this site and learn the lingo (both equipment, terminology and ways of fishing very diffent from what I learned as a kid).

#4 ·
Thanks, will be taking it slow and steady. But having actually got over the big hurdle of just getting basic equipment, getting a license and gettng out there, it doesnt all seem that daunting now i've actually got out there. Although for trout not the ideal time to start with the weather so warm, but it doesnt matter to me!

#5 ·
Aloha!

I'm in Youbou, just outside of Lake Cowichan and I do all my fishing from shore and such too. I've got a small inflatable but I managed to put a hole in it slamming it in my trunk latch a couple weeks ago.

From shore for trout I've had my best success with bubblegum powerbait on a small hook with an egg/slider weight and about a 2/3 foot leader although in Langford lake in Victoria i used to use about a 12 foot and have pretty good luck.

Right now I'm trying out powerbait trout worms but not having much success thus far.

Best of luck to ya and if you ever make it down this way let me know!

#6 ·
Hi Brian,

I'm a fellow expat adapting to the differences between fishing in the two countries. I do a bit of fly-fishing in fresh and salt waters, float-tubing, spinning etc so if you fancy a trip let me know. Happy to share my experiences with you and if you like, you can try out the 'tube.

Mark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.