BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ME AND MY GIRLFRIEND ARE IN WHISTLER ON A WORKING HOLIDAY, WE REALLY WANT TO LEARN TO FISH BUT WE ARE ON A TIGHT BUDGET SO WE CANT AFFORD THE LESSONS, OR THE EXPENSIVE GEAR. WE BOTH BOUGHT TO CHEAP RODS 20 BUCKS EACH AND IVE YET TO BUY TACKLE I DONT HAVE A CLUE WHAT TO BUY OR WHAT LAKES/RIVERS TO USE IS LAKE ALTA GOOD? ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APRECIATED THANKS GUYS

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
My suggestion is for you to walk into a local tackle shop and ask them. Tell them what you want to fish for, ask them where to go and ask them for suggestions on gear (after you tell them your budget). Don't forget to buy your licence.

Best of luck.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Did you buy fly rods deighan, or gear rods...? You mention "tackle"...are you meaning flies, or other items...? A local shop is definitely a good idea...but we should be able to help you out a bit here, before you go there...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
11th Warrior said:
My suggestion is for you to walk into a local tackle shop and ask them. Tell them what you want to fish for, ask them where to go and ask them for suggestions on gear (after you tell them your budget). Don't forget to buy your licence.

Best of luck.
that sounds like a good idea i will definately go and ask them for some advice, the thing is we dont really know what to fish for i know their is trout and salmon nearby but as we are novices weve no idea which is more fun to fish for and easier to catch etc what would you reccomend for a novice

ohh we never even knew about licenses how much are they and where do we go to get them

thanks for your help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ribwart said:
Did you buy fly rods deighan, or gear rods...? You mention "tackle"...are you meaning flies, or other items...? A local shop is definitely a good idea...but we should be able to help you out a bit here, before you go there...

hi ribwart cheers for getting back to me i am not 100%sure on how to tell but i think we got fly rods. by tackle i just meant what do i put on the end of the rod to catch fish lol i am sorry i am a complete novice i was thinking the rubber imitation ones mite bebest for my girlfriend as shes a typical girl and will be afraid of insects etc by flies do u mean imitation flies? are these the best the best thing to use?

also upon reviewing my rod it does seem rubbish lol i wish id bought this cool rocket fishing rod when i had the chance lol check it out haha...... but it is probably the most useless device ever http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/st...pe=1&page=null&departmentId=21&categoryId=510

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Deighan-I really recommend you go into Whistler flyfishng and ask for their advice. The flyshop is located at #117-4368 main Street at the north end of Whistler village near the IGA Marketplace. You can get your license there and Brian can help you get started.

·
Registered
298 Posts
while your at the fly shop pick up a copy of BC outdoors special edition magazine with a 27 lake feature on lower mainland and skeena lakes. There are a few whistler area lakes in there with an overview of what to use for what and when as well as directions to the lake and what facilities are available.

·
Registered
51 Posts
no need to buy the mag as we have many copies of the inserted lake guide that I can give you for free. Lots of lakes close to town. Alta and Green(like all of the rivers) are catch and release, single barbless hook and no bait. Other lakes like Lost, loggers, Alpha and Nita are very close and allow you to keep a couple of fish and use bait. We do have powerbait at the shop which works great as does fishing flies under a water bobber.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Go buy some power bait worms(pink and natural really work well), 6 lb. line, 2 or 4 pound leader, size 6 or 8 hooks, and a couple of weights. All can be purchased for around 20$. Tie some knots, then proceed to catch fish.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I get the feeling for everything we told them, we might as well have been speaking Klingon to them.

also upon reviewing my rod it does seem rubbish lol i wish id bought this cool rocket fishing rod when i had the chance
He wanted to buy this thing, for god's sake!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.