BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of taking up flyfishing after a few trips down to my local river (Alouette) and catching some lovely (but small) rainbows and cutties on light float tackle. I've fished for some 20 years and only now its crossed my mind that wading that little river and tossing a dry fly might be quite fun. The only problem is that I've no idea where to start i.e. rod reel line flies etc but will be reading all i can asap. Can anyone here please point me in the right direction and also maybe point me to some used fly gear which will suffice for the time being??

Thanks

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Rather than buy used, for around $100-150 you can outfit yourself with a decent beginner set-up from Dragonfly or Amundson at your local tackle shop. For instruction, if you aren't going to pay for casting instruction, i'd suggest getting a copy of The Fly Fisherman's Bible by Jim Bashline and a copy of A Primer of Flyfishing by Roderick Haig Brown. I found both of these books instrumental in my development as a fly angler. Finally, try to hook up with some of the more experienced feather chuckers on the forum for an outing or two.

· Registered
546 Posts
I would suggest checking with some of the local tackle shops to get started . In your area you could try Hatch Match'r in in Maple Ridge or Riverside fly and tackle in POCO. Tell them where you want to fish and what you are targetting and they should be able to get you started. As for used gear you can always check craigslist or the classified section of the site :beerchug:.

http://www.hatchmatchr.com/
http://www.riversideflyandtackle.com/

Edit I see Prof beat me to it >:D

-RC

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Prof I'll check out the reading material. Would these beginner outfits have matched reels to the rods? I'm thing for such a small river a 3 to 4 weight with a floating line would suffice for rainbows up to 12" and small whitefish?

· Registered
3,796 Posts
A 3 or 4 wt would be fine for small trout, but you might be better off to start with a 6 wt, as this is a better all round wt (you can target pinks, larger ttrout and even coho with a rod of that weight). The starter packages you can pick up include line, reel, rod and in the case of Amundson, leader and a tackle bag and rod tube and sock (not positive about the tube and sock). Riverside carries the Amundson line.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
There are also several DVD's on the market that teach you everything from entomology (which bug is which and which flies simulate them) to casting technique. You might be able to pick them up at the local library but if you're willing to pay for them (roughly $30 ea) your local shop will have a supply.

Take a look at the Amundson catalog for their entire lineup of gear (it's a 13.5 Mb PDF file). Their starter kit contains all the following gear:
Rod, rod case & sock (rods come in 5, 6, 7 & 8wt. I suggest a 6wt)
reel
floating line
backing
loop connectors
tapered leaders
tippet line
flies
fly box
split shot assortment
chest pack (which is more like a square lunch bag with a shoulder strap, based on the pic I've seen)
zinger
nippers
forceps, and;
a whistle

I think runs about $150

The BCFR site is an excellent place to start reading. I've learned so much just from reading the various topics. If you google you'll come up with a ton of info. Take your time; there's going to be a lot to digest.

· Registered
101 Posts
There's nothing like learning to fly cast from an expert. My father taught me to cast. My father-in-law taught me to cast really well. Lefty Kreh's books taught me how to cast the entire line almost effortlessly.

Then I figured out that 99% of the fish I catch are 30 feet or less away, and I put Lefty's books away...

Dryflyguy

· Banned
2,854 Posts
HA HA HA HA HA nice post DryFlyGuy :happy: thats so true. I can toss the whole line if a feel like it but why bother when you catch fish without all that line anyway. Well that and im to lazy to bother LOL

· Registered
1,165 Posts
firstlight said:
I can toss a whole line to.
If i leave it in the package. ;D

If you can find an old Sage DS2 in a 3 -4 wt you wont be disapointed.
Usually around $150.00 in good shape.
I was able to find one in a 6wt and I am very happy with it :thumbup:

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I picked up an Amundson #3 package and have done a little practicing at home. Now i'm off to the Alouette to try my hand at dead drifting a dry fly to see what i can pick up? I've got a couple of flies from Riverside but is there any particular dry or for that matter wet fly I should be using this time of year in that river.

Thanks

· Registered
1,165 Posts
I would suggest stimulator in a size 10 and pale grey mayfly or lady McConnel. Both work really well :thumbup: . Check at Hatch Matchers as they have them. Or call me and come by on your way to the river. I pm'd you my number. I will hook you up. :happy:

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did manage to get an hour on the river to try some flies I got at riverside. I waded down at 216th and managed 8 rainbows on dry and a couple of hits on wet. However i'm emabarassed that these fish where stupid enough to take with the thrashing and splashing I was causing so i don't consider them my true first fish on the fly. I'm going to have to invest in some lessons methinks >:D

· Registered
1,165 Posts
barbelface said:
I did manage to get an hour on the river to try some flies I got at riverside. I waded down at 216th and managed 8 rainbows on dry and a couple of hits on wet. However i'm emabarassed that these fish where stupid enough to take with the thrashing and splashing I was causing so i don't consider them my true first fish on the fly. I'm going to have to invest in some lessons methinks >:D
If you are looking for lessons go and see Randy at Hatch Matchers and he will set something up. He does small classes so you get more one on one time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.