BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have never built a rod, but i have been thinking about it for some time. Over the last few years i have spent a LOT of money on fly tying stuff, and i have this sneaky suspicion that rod building may cost me a forture!

Any advice on what is needed in terms of equipment i need to get started, and associated costs would be a great help. Know any good books? Also, setup in terms of space required would be good too.

Thanks!

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Handcrafting a Graphite Flyrod by L.A. Garcia Frank Amato Publications. I used this book as my reference for my first flyrod and found it covered everything I need. You can get it at almost any tackle shop.

· Registered
1 Posts
Rod building can be as expensive as you want to make it. Rather than spending a lot of coin on the tools of the trade, I built most of mine. Initially I used a BBQ rottissarie motor for drying the guide wrap finish. It worked well but is very slow turning. I have since upgraded to higher speed motors. If you have basic carpentry skills you can certaily build your own wrapping rack and turning stands. Purchase a dremel type tool for prepping the guide feet. Canadian Tire has the inexpensive Jobmate brand rotary tool on sale occassionally.
Do not start off with an expensive blank and high end components, as you will have some growing pains. There are lots of inexpensive blanks out there that work well.
For me, the hardest part is wrapping guides. It is soooooo important to do a neat job here as a lousey wrap will really show once the finish is applied.
I get great satisfaction out of rod building. I have only been building for about five years now. To date I have built six fly rods, one casting rod, have three fly rods on the go and am waiting for blanks for a couple of bass rods.
Just be forewarned, it is an addicting hobby.

An extremely good forum on rod building is at www.rodbuilding.org.

There is also a rodbuilding section on Ebay. There are occassionally some very good deals on components. Just make sure that you don't get ripped off on shipping costs.

Enjoy

Fishmore
Vancouver Island

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.