BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I am new to the area. I am from Southern AB and working in Vancouver for the next couple months. I was hopin to get pointed to the right direction for Fly fishing this time of the year. I have read various posts/articles and have narrowed it down to a few sections of water. I am "Not" looking to hot spot or to find secret locations. Just want to get an idea of where Fly Fishing is successful for this time of year. A few locations I have read are good from dec-april. is there sections of water that are good for trout, salmon, steelhead may, june?? I have read about the Vedder but hear its over crowded. Capilano? Harrison? Stave? Squamish? I will be on foot w & w. a point in the right directions is appreciated!

Cheers,
Alan

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
smeabs...

I am more of a saltwater guy but if you are right in Vancouver; the Capilano is likely your easiest to access at this time.

There will be early coho start showing up.....and they'll be around through the summer with springs mixed in. Be sure you check the regs for the Cap as there are sections and sides of the river you can't fish due to the Native land there. Once summer gets rolling along you can try areas in Richmond going after pinks in the river as well.......pinks run here every second year and this is a "second" year. I can't tell you too much about places further out in the valley like the Harrison, Vedder, Stave, Chilliwack etc.

Squamish will be good for pinks this year as well; not too sure what is there other than trout though this time of year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pippen,
Does the CAP stay relatively clear this time of year? Recommended patterns?? egg patter, egg sucking leetch, pink handlebar???

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hey Everyone,
I am new to the area. I am from Southern AB and working in Vancouver for the next couple months. I was hopin to get pointed to the right direction for Fly fishing this time of the year. I have read various posts/articles and have narrowed it down to a few sections of water. I am "Not" looking to hot spot or to find secret locations. Just want to get an idea of where Fly Fishing is successful for this time of year. A few locations I have read are good from dec-april. is there sections of water that are good for trout, salmon, steelhead may, june?? I have read about the Vedder but hear its over crowded. Capilano? Harrison? Stave? Squamish? I will be on foot w & w. a point in the right directions is appreciated!

Cheers,
Alan
Being freshette right now it is not the greatest time for river fishing, the Cap is a good bet.

Also there are a bunch of sloughs that cross the road to Pitt lake that hold bass and should be starting to produce, just make sure you kill what you catch as they are an invasive species you will need a float tube or pontoon boat.

Local lakes are doing well this time of year Rolly and Mike are good near Mission. Deer, trout, Grace, Wolf etc are near Harrison and are good. Chehalis river can be fair for summer steel in June as well.

Best bet would be to head up to the Merritt area for your days off the lakes up there are superior to the ones on the coast, if you do not have a float tube I would suggest grabbing one, as good W+W options are limited during freshette.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks For the info junebug and pat av. Just wondering how long does "freshette" last. When is it predicted to be over and water clarity fishable??

Cheers,
Alan

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Obviously varies from year to year but should start dropping into shap early july.

You can get a tube for 100 bucks and are a short drive from some of the best small lake rb trout fishing on the planet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have a tube back home and the first time I uesed it was in 55Km/h winds......I hated that day.....have not used it since.....I know not all days will be like that...lol...I just realized I have my backpacker 8ft pontoon boat in the back of my work truck!! Which I have not used since I got it.....I think I am working tooo much!!..lol....BLEH!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts