BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey !
I just registered for this forum and read some of the topics (great information). I used to mainly fish with a casting rod but recently I switched over to fly fishing. Honestly I wish i saved the money that I spent on the casting rods / reels for fly fishing gear :p

My first question is, Im planning on buying a sage 896 Zaxis and currently own a Loop Evotec G3 LW reel. Will this be enough for most of the salmon (chum, springs, coho)?

I'm sure someone with skill can land anything with whatever rod but in general what is the biggest fish recomended for a 8wt rod?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I use my 8wt for northerns and for chums. To be honest sometimes those chums make you wish you had brought your bigger rod. I don't really target springs that much because I am not sure about proper methods but when I do decide to go throw a few feathers at them i take my 9 or 10wt. My recommendation is to take a wt that can handle the fish you are targeting. Sometimes you hear about people that will target large fish with really small wt rods because it is a bigger challenge but really in the end the fish you release will most likely die from stress. Not really all that sporting in my books. Anyhow I don't want to turn this into a rant...just my :2cents:

·
Registered
694 Posts
I would stick with the 8wt even though it is under gunned for most sizeable springs and alot of chum. The chum only when they hunker down and won't budge, and the springs just because of the fight and current they keep in.

The reason I say go with the rod you've picked is because it will be a great coho, steelhead rod and will provide fun fishing for the other half of the chum and some smaller springs. By the time you think you would really like bigger, get yourself into a big 9wt 13-14ft spey rod, then you'll be able to tackle all big fish in whatever situation you want.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
well i have taken 40lb springs on my 8wt before just make sure you dont horse it too hard and you will be fine ;D

however now that i have a spey i wil lbe using that instead so i can get my "moneys worth"

HOOK

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would recomend a 9wt. It helps to have that extra back bone when you hook into one of those big buck (when you do you will know why the Yanks call them Junkyard Dogs). I have landed many Chum on 7 & 8w's but have gone to a 9 so that I don't fly them too long (Remember you want these fish to spawn when you release them. Oxygen starve them and they can suffer brain damage). Also if you encounter a Springs a 9 will handle most of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.