BC Fishing Reports banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks for the information. Let's keep on topic. I'm a huge fan of the Dodge 1500 and the Toyota Tacoma. Either one would suit me just fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
toyota tacomas, will run forever i had one and my dad had one both went over 350k miles before we sold them and they both still ran great after giving them a beating and neglecting them. I will only buy toyota trucks at this point. Relatively speaking i find domestic brands to be vastly inferior in reliability. Every ford ive ever known anyone personally to own, only made to the 200k-250k mile range before it was junked. Ive never seen a domestic truck with 350k miles on it.... Not once.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm in the market for a new truck. My 1997 Chevy Silverado was just written off with 400,000Kms. My son's Ford F150 has 380,000Kms now. I would love to buy a Toyota, but I can't justify the extra $10,000 because almost every domestic truck I know lasts as long and gets better fuel mileage, with more affordable parts when the inevitable fixing needs to happen. BTW, I just learned that the vehicle that has the best resale value in Canada is a Jeep! What happened there? They used to be leaky, drippy, vehicles best suited for backyard mechanics who liked the constant repairs needed. Been looking at them, but can't figure out the added value. Anyone have any ideas why?

·
Registered
116 Posts
toyota tacomas, will run forever i had one and my dad had one both went over 350k miles before we sold them and they both still ran great after giving them a beating and neglecting them. I will only buy toyota trucks at this point. Relatively speaking i find domestic brands to be vastly inferior in reliability. Every ford ive ever known anyone personally to own, only made to the 200k-250k mile range before it was junked. Ive never seen a domestic truck with 350k miles on it.... Not once.
Really.
Well you don't know to many people with domestic trucks.

The biggest pos on the road imo are Toyota trucks, if you want to use them as a truck and 4x4. Weak front ends, wheel bearings, cheap interiors, sh!tty drive trains, water pumps are crap......... Take them grocery shopping and take it easy on the spped bumps. They just don't hold out off roading long term.
We have a 1986 Ranger still in our extended family that has 430K on it and I put that truck through an awfull lot of hard 4 wheeling over the years. Still running and low maintenace. My current F150 has low mileage for an 02 but has been bullit proof. I know a few people that their F150's have /had close to 500k on them. Not saying domestics are the best. Actually I am when it comes to trucks.

Show me a truck showdown where the Tundra is rated the best truck.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/02/whats-the-best-light-duty-truck-for-mpg-2016-what-the-judges-said.html

The above link shows many other tests. The Toyota came last in everyone of them.
You like Toys but don't bash the other rides cause they are all better. Your beloved Taco is going to take a beating in sales with the new Chev/GMC's now here and wait till the Ranger comes back in another few years.

I'll tell you what, you and the guy with the nice jet boat you fished with last month, let's take your Toys and let's do some real 4x4ing. Let's see how lousy these domestic trucks are. Hopefully I can keep up with the mighty Toy.:)

Ps - I'm talking stock factory trucks here and also when I tell my neighbour he might want to join us in his Siverado with 330k. Hopefully the truck makes it out of his driveway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Actually i didnt bash anything, i just wrote what my opinion is and preference along with what ive personally seen/experienced. Im not claiming to be an expert or that i know tons of truck owners. Just adding my thoughts to the conversation, i think in an apporpreate manner.

Calm yourself, no need to get upset. I wasn't trying to hurt anyones feelings here. this is an adult discussion isn't it?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Actually i didnt bash anything, i just wrote what my opinion is and preference along with what ive personally seen/experienced...

koenig (above) did the same thing...

Calm yourself, no need to get upset...

hopefully you do it also...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Actually i didnt bash anything, i just wrote what my opinion is and preference along with what ive personally seen/experienced. Im not claiming to be an expert or that i know tons of truck owners. Just adding my thoughts to the conversation, i think in an apporpreate manner.

Calm yourself, no need to get upset. I wasn't trying to hurt anyones feelings here. this is an adult discussion isn't it?
Calm as a cucumber JB.
Just hate the Taco is the best truck out there. It's just not true. It may be to it's owner but not to the stats. Currently the lowest cost of ownership for a truck is the F150. Will that change next year? Maybe, maybe not.

Ford and GM sell more trucks than Toyota sells all year in a month. Dodge isn't to far behind. Imagine if Toy sold that many trucks (will never happen). I would bet the Toyota rep would go down because the more that are on the road the more the reliability would go down based on hard use and sheer numbers.

To say that Ford trucks only go to 200 -250k is just nonsense. I have 2 friends with Tacos (both Surveyors) and both those trucks have been money pits. It's all in how you drive and maintain them I guess.

I'm glad you like your truck. I'll be buying a new one next year. Not sure what I'll buy but it won't be a Tundra or Taco unless they put some toughness and improvements to them. Especially suspension and getting rid of the cheap interiors.

·
Registered
168 Posts
if we are talking diesel - cummins is the top
if gasser - f150
I love toyotas but their fuel economy is far behind

(and sure it is according my experience )

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Calm as a cucumber JB.
Just hate the Taco is the best truck out there. It's just not true. It may be to it's owner but not to the stats. Currently the lowest cost of ownership for a truck is the F150. Will that change next year? Maybe, maybe not.

Ford and GM sell more trucks than Toyota sells all year in a month. Dodge isn't to far behind. Imagine if Toy sold that many trucks (will never happen). I would bet the Toyota rep would go down because the more that are on the road the more the reliability would go down based on hard use and sheer numbers.

To say that Ford trucks only go to 200 -250k is just nonsense. I have 2 friends with Tacos (both Surveyors) and both those trucks have been money pits. It's all in how you drive and maintain them I guess.

I'm glad you like your truck. I'll be buying a new one next year. Not sure what I'll buy but it won't be a Tundra or Taco unless they put some toughness and improvements to them. Especially suspension and getting rid of the cheap interiors.
GM and Ram sell a lot because they are crap and they give them away. Those numbers dont mean squat. Toyota and Ford rule.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Trucks always seem to be a passionate debate and everyone has their favs for their own reasons.

BFM Deer Valley = where?

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Love my Silverado, I have owned Ford F-150 and a Ram. In terms of maintenance and having to replace failed parts, both the Ford and Ram were brutal. The Silverado is a smooth ride, the other truck I would love to have is the Tundra. The Tacoma does not have enough cargo space for my fishing trips. But, you see what's happening here in this debate? It comes down to personal preference and each brand has its pros and cons. Hard to pick a clear winner.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I really enjoy that the domestic truck owners that make strong arguments for why Toyota's are overpriced POS's, when they would *love* to have a Toyota but can't justify the extra expense.
Just get one - no excuses, no regrets.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can't speak for other domestic owners but I don't buy based on cost. I buy based on proven reliabilty of the truck. When I bought my F150 in 02 I paid more than I could of bought a Chev for. Bought the F150 based on my research and speaking to many owners on what their experience was for reliability. In most cases including the Chev/GMC most owners where pretty happy, so I bought the F150 because it had more clearance then the Chev. I'm glad I did. It's been a very reliable truck but I don't 4x4 that much anymore.

If I remember correctly the Toyota Tundra was priced very close to the domestics. Only found a few people that actually had them and both were unhappy with them not because of reliabilty but under powered. They were not off roaders.

I know the FJ's are a good vehicle and good bush buggies just not suitable for my needs.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
bought the eco deisel average under 10l to the 100 not bad as part of it is the coq to kamloops from the lower mainland. dont know what might get better but im happy. tows my bought like its not there.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts