BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a fair bit of past experience on the water but I recently purchased my first boat (21' Seaswirl Striper) and I could use a little advice. I've been out three times and i only have a bullhead and a grilse to show for it. I live in South Surrey but I'm willing to drive anywhere in the lower mainland to launch if I have a better chance at hooking into something that weighs more than half a pound. :)

I plan to head out on Saturday, any recommendations? Also, my maps are on my boat which isn't at my house and I'm having trouble figuring out where T10 is, can someone describe the location?

Lastly, I've read a lot of the old threads over the last few days, and I wanted to thank the posters for a lot fo the great info.

Paul

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Paul....

Where have you been fishing....what have you been fishing with....what do you have for gear.....do you have experience running out on the salt or just fresh?
Lots of questions...do you have downriggers??

Have you read this thread?

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forums/threads/14267-where-to-start-super-saltwater-noob.

I think there are some other links in there too.

Another good one of what to "watch out for" in that area.

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forums/threads/16601-sand-Heads-what-to-watch-out-for/page2

Welcome to the forum.....and let us know a bit more about what you've been doing thus far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Pippen. I've tried Sandheads twice. The first time, I didn't have my down riggers and that was an issue, the second time, the wind was pretty bad so we stayed in the river. Both times we started with hoochies and then i tried a spoon. On the long weekend, i took my boat over to Saturna but I did more touring than fishing. I dropped the lines by Cabbage Island but we didn't have much time.

I've done very little fishing around here. As a kid, I did a lot of fishing up at Powell River and then in my early 20's, i spent a season in River's Inlet. Since then, just the odd trip here and there.

Not sure if i've read the threads that you've attached, i'll take a look at them now.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Paul

you can launch at cresent marina and run round Pt Roberts up to the south arm and the coal port it's a far run but if seas are calm pretty quick.
Just make sure you are back in canadian waters.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Skunked Again!!! Was anyone catching fish today? I was out at the sandheads and i felt confident going out. I'd been to berry's bait and tackle, got some new sockeye lures. I was running dummy flashers. Thought that i was fully prepared. Saw some fish jumping but not a ton. Most of the time we fished in 350-375' of water and we ranged our depths from 65-100ft. Saw lots of fish on the sounder. Didn't even get a hit.

Talked to a guy in the parking lot after we pulled out and he asked how long my leaders were. I said 3 ft (didn't measure them) and he said thats why i didn't catch anything. He said that the leaders should be 28" for sockeye. Would 8" of extra leader make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Skunked Again!!! Was anyone catching fish today? I was out at the sandheads and i felt confident going out. I'd been to berry's bait and tackle, got some new sockeye lures. I was running dummy flashers. Thought that i was fully prepared. Saw some fish jumping but not a ton. Most of the time we fished in 350-375' of water and we ranged our depths from 65-100ft. Saw lots of fish on the sounder. Didn't even get a hit.

Talked to a guy in the parking lot after we pulled out and he asked how long my leaders were. I said 3 ft (didn't measure them) and he said thats why i didn't catch anything. He said that the leaders should be 28" for sockeye. Would 8" of extra leader make that much of a difference?
The guy was right on the money, short leaders... I'd say even shorter. I have them going from 28, 24, 20 and 18inches. The 20 and 18inch leaders outfish the longer ones all the time.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
We use 14 to 18 inch leaders in Port Alberni to give the hootchies mega action. Probably a little longer for spoons however. I'd say you got some good advice, for sockeye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
KK,
send me a PM with your e mail and I can help you in more detail.
There is a ton to learn, have not stopped and I've been on the chuck for 50 yrs.
There is great info on this and other sites, you must either be able to understand and pick through it, or get some one to show show you the how to's. A good piece of advice is to hire a Good guide or 2 , watch and learn, rack their brain for a day. You would have to pay decent money to do this but it could end up helping you a ton. There are many guides in the Van area, reliable, safe, knowledgeable, and on top of this they catch fish. I'm willing to help any one, there are general rules for the various fisheries we have around here and to think you can just go out at the end of this incredible run of sox and nail em is not fare to your self. They have become fussy, and are hardly the biters they were just a short time ago. Don't be hard on your self and get frustrated just yet, so much water, not so much time, and all this comes with spending huge money for few fish, until you get the basics down. You have purchased a great boat for fishing this area, now you need to outfit it properly, learn how to use the gear properly and it's only a matter of time.
I await your PM.

HT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did it! Finally landed a fish in the new boat. Was out off the mouth of the Cap today with a ton of other boats and saw a bunch of fish being caught around 9ish. Got mine about 30 mins later on a green hoochie running just off the bottom. 12lb spring. It didn't have much of a fight in it but it was great to get one. Thanks for all of the replies, especially HT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts