BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm thinking for late September to mid October. Serpentine right at the Fenn on King George or the Nicomackle around 176-184th. Anyone with experience in either of these rivers want to meet up on a weekend?

I know the Fenn I used to fish as a kid, certain times the tidal dam at the highway would stop the salmon from going up river so it was a good spot to fish.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the limits, but hadn't checked when it opened for Coho yet. But I know springs opened Aug 1st Serpentine, and Nicomackle is Sep 1st.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
wait for a good dump of rain, then take two days off work 12 hrs. after the rain stops and fish hard.............Ortho

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to the Serp to see whats what's with Coho opening in 8 days. Lots of jack salmon jumping or big trout not sure, also saw some carp rising. About 15 guys were fishing. Saw one guy catch a good size flounder and hightail it out of there. I'm not sure what the rules are on retaining a flounder in that part of the river. With springs open I decided to try my luck,
- #45 koho blue scale, nada
- silver and red blue fox, nada
- green jig with feathers, couple bullheads
- pink jig and pink grub, 1 bullhead, 1 rainbow (released)
- Decided to scent the pink grub with anchovy, nada the bullheads didn't even want it after that.

Went home at 7:30pm never saw anyone bring anything in besides that flounder.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Worked from home today, and living about 6 minutes from the Fenn decided to give it another go. More action all around tonight 5-7pm still lots of jumpers on the outgoing tide.

-#4 Blue fox in orange and silver, nada
- copper and orange croc, nada
- #4 Blue fox in blue and silver was the winner

10 hits and 2 fish on and landed one. Nice 6lb wild coho released back into the river. Guy up at the first corner I talked to also landed a nice wild coho and released it. (His first time fishing in Canada) My daughter was bottom and bobber fishing, she got 2 palm sized flounder we released. (only thing I got pics of)

Guy on the other side of the river landed one (straight across) and him and his buddy took off like a bat out of hell. Coho don't open until Oct 1st, so that one was poached.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea wasn't really paying attention until I heard "hey its your fish, I don't care what you do with it" Then I started paying attention and the guy was heading up the bank with the fish in the net. From my spot on the other side I couldn't tell if it was a coho or a spring. But the way they cut and ran I figured that was the case. Blue jeans, white shirt, dark blue jacket, caucasian, maybe late 30s. But yea faster with the camera next time.

The other guy I talked with, first time fishing in Canada. Didn't know the difference between a coho and a spring and only had 2 lures. Said he was watching me Saturday and decided to go buy a rod and license Sunday. Funny meeting up with him again Tuesday night. He showed me a picture of the coho he released and we had a little education session on the types of salmon. I carry the DFO Salmon ID pages printed off in a bag in my tackle box. English is shakey, but nice guy and eager to learn. I hope to see him again.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That's awesome man, good for you for taking the time to do that!

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Yea wasn't really paying attention until I heard "hey its your fish, I don't care what you do with it" Then I started paying attention and the guy was heading up the bank with the fish in the net. From my spot on the other side I couldn't tell if it was a coho or a spring. But the way they cut and ran I figured that was the case. Blue jeans, white shirt, dark blue jacket, caucasian, maybe late 30s. But yea faster with the camera next time.

The other guy I talked with, first time fishing in Canada. Didn't know the difference between a coho and a spring and only had 2 lures. Said he was watching me Saturday and decided to go buy a rod and license Sunday. Funny meeting up with him again Tuesday night. He showed me a picture of the coho he released and we had a little education session on the types of salmon. I carry the DFO Salmon ID pages printed off in a bag in my tackle box. English is shakey, but nice guy and eager to learn. I hope to see him again.
That's awesome man, good for you for taking the time to do that!
Yes, kudos to you for that for sure...:cheers:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was at the Serpentine today doing a bit of re-con on the first day of retention. Fish were jumping everywhere but nobody was catching anything. Crocodiles, spinners, fly guy, worm guy, shrimp guy. Nothing. Do the fish know its day 1 and they are fair game now, or whats the deal?

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I was at the Serpentine today doing a bit of re-con on the first day of retention. Fish were jumping everywhere but nobody was catching anything. Crocodiles, spinners, fly guy, worm guy, shrimp guy. Nothing. Do the fish know its day 1 and they are fair game now, or whats the deal?
I think they know they are in a very sensitive stream, and have accordingly, adjusted their response.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I was also out there tonight for the open. Saw one coho caught across from me, decent size. But other then that I tried everything in the tackle box and no hits. Fast reeling, slow reeling, buzzbomb like action on some koho spoons. Most fish caught was probably my 4yr old with her 5 bullheads.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yea I was also out there tonight for the open. Saw one coho caught across from me, decent size. But other then that I tried everything in the tackle box and no hits. Fast reeling, slow reeling, buzzbomb like action on some koho spoons. Most fish caught was probably my 4yr old with her 5 bullheads.
That's awesome, start 'em young, teach 'em right.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two taken this morning between 7:30 to 9:00 am with about 15 people fishing. Pretty small maybe 4-5lbs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The actual run hasn't even started yet. Everything in their are just jacks 3-5lbs, it wont be until after the first big rain that the 10lbs'ers roll in. I've been fishing there 2/3 times a week since my first post I haven't seen anything past 6lbs yet. My buddy did pick up a 16lbs spring in the Nicko last week though that he had to release.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts