BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fished the Nitinat, Stamp or Cowichan lately? Having trouble with deciding whether to commit to all the ferry expenses etc so would appreciate any info - chiefly looking for Salmon.
Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Springs will be showing anytime now at Nitinat, watch the rains. Haven't heard much on the Stamp, river may be a little warm but, salmon should be showing there soon as well. The Cowichan has been closed to fishing in the lower reaches the last several years to protect the depressed spring population... check the regs, I haven't had a chance yet and really don't expect this to change anytime soon.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just got back from the Stamp this weekend, water was way to high. They opened the dam and the river came up a good 2 feet. Visibility was still good but to much time for the fish to look at your presentation. Lots of coho rolling around there tho, managed to get 11 on the center pin. had to use as light as line as possible, was running 8 lb leader and once i switched to 6 lb and a #4 hook we started getting into them. Smallest presentations as possible, caught most on the littliest piece of red wool with a few strands of flash in it. Cut into a tear drop style look, short floating as well. Was only able to pull fish out of fast moving seams that were tight to shore in shallow water. Everyone on that river thorws spoons but we manged to get more fish then anyone we seen around us. At one point a guide was drifting downstream and even stopped to ask us what we were using as he seen us hook into two fish while fishing above us. Definetly nice looking fish in there right now, managed one steelhead as well. Fished above the falls around the anglers trailer and monies pool. FYI tho... bring as many bear bangers as you can and a wistle. At one point a bear wouldn't leave us alone for more then 2 hours until we left, wasn't scared of anything either. Make sure to always make noise and keep an eye out behind you when fishing, they sneak up on you so quietly and try and steal your fish. lol. As long as the rain holds off out there the river should be amazing within the next few weeks. Hopefully gonna get out there again for some more coho soon.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Water was too high for what? LOL. 11 fish landed is stellar, most people would kill to have a day like that on any river. Congrats and thanks for the post.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Just got back from the Stamp this weekend, water was way to high. They opened the dam and the river came up a good 2 feet. Visibility was still good but to much time for the fish to look at your presentation. Lots of coho rolling around there tho, managed to get 11 on the center pin. had to use as light as line as possible, was running 8 lb leader and once i switched to 6 lb and a #4 hook we started getting into them. Smallest presentations as possible, caught most on the littliest piece of red wool with a few strands of flash in it. Cut into a tear drop style look, short floating as well. Was only able to pull fish out of fast moving seams that were tight to shore in shallow water. Everyone on that river thorws spoons but we manged to get more fish then anyone we seen around us. At one point a guide was drifting downstream and even stopped to ask us what we were using as he seen us hook into two fish while fishing above us. Definetly nice looking fish in there right now, managed one steelhead as well. Fished above the falls around the anglers trailer and monies pool. FYI tho... bring as many bear bangers as you can and a wistle. At one point a bear wouldn't leave us alone for more then 2 hours until we left, wasn't scared of anything either. Make sure to always make noise and keep an eye out behind you when fishing, they sneak up on you so quietly and try and steal your fish. lol. As long as the rain holds off out there the river should be amazing within the next few weeks. Hopefully gonna get out there again for some more coho soon.

Glad you had a great time. Nice to know papa bear was keeping things honest out there. So a center pin and wool under a float is the new fly fishing?? Just jerking your chain, LOL.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ya was waiting for the "center pin" comment, (just jk). Originally i went there with my fly gear but always bring my pin with me just in case, and im glad i did. Couldnt get anything on the fly. Difficult river to fly fish as well due to not much casting room. And 11 fish in two days was good, but three weeks ago i was there and probably had 15 before i even sat down for a smoke and coffee. Water was in pristine condition and we were into fish every other cast. Lots of springs tho, but now the coho are in and we seen a few steelhead lurking around the shorelines. River should be in amazing condition for this weekend. I'd stick above the falls tho, always seemed to have better luck up there fly fishing. Again watch out for bears, just talked to my uncle last night that lives 5 minutes from the stamp and he had a bear smash down half of his fence last night trying to get at the grape vines on his shed. For some reason their on a rampage this year, i fish the stamp year round every year and this year there really bad. Heading out there again not this but next weekend. i'll post my reports when i get back, this time i"ll bring the camera and post some pics of those gorgeous silvers were catching.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's why i bought a Marlin Guide gun in stainless. 400Grain 45-70 Govt gives you a bit of peace of mind...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts